How much do I have to spend on an external DAC to outperform my Macbook pro DAC?
Dec 24, 2012 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

armyowalgreens

Head-Fier
I've realized that the internal DAC on my Macbook pro is actually quite good. But I want something that I can use with my other devices. I don't want to sacrifice performance. 

My Headroom Total Bithead sounds inferior to my Mac.

Is something like a Fiio E-17 going to outperform the Macbook chip? Or, at the very least, rival it. 

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 15
It's worth mentioning that I drunk purchased a Fiio E-17. I'm wondering whether or not to cancel the order. 

I would be using it with both my Macbook Pro and an Ipod Classic. Run through AKG K550s. 

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:
I've realized that the internal DAC on my Macbook pro is actually quite good. But I want something that I can use with my other devices. I don't want to sacrifice performance. 

My Headroom Total Bithead sounds inferior to my Mac.

Is something like a Fiio E-17 going to outperform the Macbook chip? Or, at the very least, rival it. 

I'd like to know the same thing! I purchased a Fiio E7 and I hear no difference playing my Q701s through it or my Macbook Pro (even thought the E7 is broken now so I can't compare anymore). I'm just left wondering if my ears don't work or if the DAC in my Macbook is actually better than the relatively inexpensive Fiio. 
confused.gif

Dec 25, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

I'd like to know the same thing! I purchased a Fiio E7 and I hear no difference playing my Q701s through it or my Macbook Pro (even thought the E7 is broken now so I can't compare anymore). I'm just left wondering if my ears don't work or if the DAC in my Macbook is actually better than the relatively inexpensive Fiio. 
confused.gif

What are you listening to, on a youtube video it likely wouldn't matter, but if you are using a well mastered CD you probably should have heard a difference.

Dec 25, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 15
Using a MacBook Pro retina and IMO there is a difference in the sound - for the better with the E17 and it has the added bonus of hooking up to my iPhone and iTouch for music on the go. On the iTouch I wouldn't be without it now.

To my ears, the MBPR gives a very clinical, sterile sound and the E17 brings it alive, with a warmer sound.

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #9 of 15
An Audioquest Dragonfly maybe? I'm not sure that getting a pair of headphones more suited the music you like first wouldn't be in order though.

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #10 of 15
Honestly, I don't see a huge need to upgrade if the internal DAC is decent. Otherwise, that $18 Ele DAC that dsnuts has been raving about will probably provide a slight upgrade. If you are looking for a complete package, the Topping D100 Mk2 can be had for around $80. 

As someone mentioned above, the source will matter a lot. If you have a bad recording, a revealing DAC will probably be less pleasing than a lower resolution one. And lastly, if you don't hear a difference, just save some money and don't worry about it. As long as your setup makes you happy, it's a good rig.

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #11 of 15
I've never heard the E17, but I've owned the E7 and like it better than my macbook pro soundcard. At the very least, it's worth using it just to get rid of all the noise. The macbook pro is a very noisy (hissy) source. It's also nice having the flexibility of having a bass/treble boost if you want it.

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
Honestly, I don't see a huge need to upgrade if the internal DAC is decent. Otherwise, that $18 Ele DAC that dsnuts has been raving about will probably provide a slight upgrade. If you are looking for a complete package, the Topping D100 Mk2 can be had for around $80. 

As someone mentioned above, the source will matter a lot. If you have a bad recording, a revealing DAC will probably be less pleasing than a lower resolution one. And lastly, if you don't hear a difference, just save some money and don't worry about it. As long as your setup makes you happy, it's a good rig.

I'm running uncompressed files ripped straight from the CD (16/44.1) using Vox. I mean, there are better players I assume. But from what I understand, Vox seems to be pretty well regarded. 

Dec 26, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #14 of 15
My AKG K550s are already suited to my musical tastes. They perform very well. What I want is "more" of what I like. Clearer sound. More competent low end. Soundstage

And I'll tell you that you won't get much "more" even if you put out a few times what the K550 cost. If you want reasonable changes, you should consider upgrading the cans (and if needed, the amp; depends on what cans you end up with).

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #15 of 15
I've been working with the E-17 for about an hour and I can say that it is slight improvement over the internal DAC on my Macbook Pro. It's not as airy. But it feels more competent. And the instruments seem to be a bit more defined. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back