How many songs do you have in your music library?
Apr 28, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #46 of 615
Currently playing: Daft Punk - Da Funk. Last and 4726th song in my playlist
smily_headphones1.gif
These take ~80-100gb of space.

Sucks though, I never heard 25% of the music I have. Also 30% of them are less than enjoyable bitrate quality..

May 1, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #48 of 615
Quote:
Do what I do and bite the bullet. I deleted all non-FLAC content. This way I'm more inclined to sort out better copies :p

x2

I got rid of everything that wasn't a CD rip long ago, I have since worked on rebuilding everything that was never full res. Mostly done, and onto all kinds of other new music.
It's nice to know that there are no bad eggs in the collection.

May 1, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #49 of 615
I did this with most of my library, but there are some things I have to keep at low bitrate. Most of my stuff is at least 320, but some of the rare stuff isn't available on CD...or as a lossless DL. 

I've wanted to just clear out everything under 320 many times but can't bring myself to do it and lose some of the really good stuff I have at lower bitrates.

Quote:
x2

I got rid of everything that wasn't a CD rip long ago, I have since worked on rebuilding everything that was never full res. Mostly done, and onto all kinds of other new music.
It's nice to know that there are no bad eggs in the collection.

May 1, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #51 of 615
Quote:
I did this with most of my library, but there are some things I have to keep at low bitrate. Most of my stuff is at least 320, but some of the rare stuff isn't available on CD...or as a lossless DL. 

I've wanted to just clear out everything under 320 many times but can't bring myself to do it and lose some of the really good stuff I have at lower bitrates.

Yeah some stuff has been a real bear to find. And some kinda pricy for what it was, but I'm more or less where I want to be, I may have to give in and accept mp3s for a few more obscure things, like my Latin American and European Spanish Rap... pretty hard to come by at the local HMV.

But one of my personal biggest motivating factors was to have it all come from CD and no allow myself any of the spoils of the 'napster years'. I didn't want anything I didn't own, so I burned it all to the ground and rebuilt every from scratch, legitimately. 
smile.gif

May 1, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #52 of 615
I keep all my MP3s seperate from the Flac file for ease of use. MP3s still are quite useful when you have no access to the FLAC content. Some songs I can't even buy on CD.

May 2, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #53 of 615
134 albums with 1687 songs by 54 artists is what Logitech Media Server tells me.

80% FLAC / 20% MP3/WAV or so .....

May 2, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #54 of 615
itunes currently has 51800 tracks; about 323GB, and a little over 140 days.  i probably have another hundred or so albums worth of flac stuff.  i recently doubled my nas drive's capacity so i can start getting lossless versions of more of my favorite albums.

May 3, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #56 of 615
Quote:
Currently playing: Daft Punk - Da Funk. Last and 4726th song in my playlist
smily_headphones1.gif
These take ~80-100gb of space.

Sucks though, I never heard 25% of the music I have. Also 30% of them are less than enjoyable bitrate quality..

I use switch sound file conveter to convert my lower bitrate music to highest bitrate you should try it 

May 3, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #57 of 615
Quote:
I use switch sound file conveter to convert my lower bitrate music to highest bitrate you should try it 

Wait are you saying you are upconverting your already lossy formats? You know if you are doing that you aren't getting better quality, if anything you are getting worse quality and wasting space. In order to get good quality you have to begin with a quality recording (Lossless source). From there you can convert down to lossy or convert to other lossless formats, not the other way around. :)

May 3, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #58 of 615
Quote:
Wait are you saying you are upconverting your already lossy formats? You know if you are doing that you aren't getting better quality, if anything you are getting worse quality and wasting space. In order to get good quality you have to begin with a quality recording (Lossless source). From there you can convert down to lossy or convert to other lossless formats, not the other way around. :)

X2

It's the same as upsizing an image. All you do is create more bits and bites, and have the same (or less) amount of data as before.

May 3, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #60 of 615
Quote:
Not sure if trolling or just stupid...

That's not really fair to say. He/she may honestly not know and it's not fair for you to judge them. At one point I wasn't so savvy on this stuff and was making mistakes myself. It wasn't until I got a hold of better copies of recording that I owned that I figured out I was loosing quality with the lossy files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back