How many of you have tinnitus?
Oct 22, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #121 of 205
You listen too loudly if you're getting ringing after a session.
And you can't compare the two devices, since one is an IEM where you're getting a seal with your meter and the other one is an open phone.

If you want to do an actual comparison, you must get a proper seal with the HD600 as well. But the best and easiest solution is to turn down the volume when you're listening to them.

Oct 22, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #122 of 205

And you can't compare the two devices, since one is an IEM where you're getting a seal with your meter and the other one is an open phone.

If you want to do an actual comparison, you must get a proper seal with the HD600 as well. 

That's what I initially thought, but is the seal all that problematic for the measurements when 

1) The app takes ambient noise into account, and so did my test; if anything, what isn't confusing to me is that the IEM registers a higher dynamic range, even without a seal (see below)
ie., I not only set the volume with worst case scenario noise, but also when taking the measurements, and regardless of the ambient noise (which gets marked if I don't run the music immediately), the measurements of the HD600 remain the same (which also gets marked once the average added noise and peak level are registered)

2) The measurements on the ASG-1's weren't just taken with a "seal" between the mic and the driver - the first measurement was with two drivers aimed at it, meaning there's quite a gap between both bores and the mic, so that's basically the IEM if it had the same issue as the HD600, but it still measured on average about 2dB louder than the HD600.

3) The distance to the mic at center of the drivers with the HD600 on the table approximates the distance to the eardrums when worn; which, if problematic due to the lack of seal...

4) Wouldn't the measurement taken with the mic shoved right onto the foam over one driver - which registers higher - very roughly be the compensated for output level when worn? 

Also by my ears the HD600s were actually set at a lower listening level and I did the test thinking that while I might not be overcompensating for the noise floor, I might just not be aware that I am still at much louder level (unless it is as you say an issue with the method)

-----------

In any case I quickly redid the test, this time with just one driver but with a 2mm gap between the phone case and the IEM - basically it's firing directly into the mic as opposed to two of them at an angle - and it registered at 72 to 78dB (vs 73dB to 78dB with both drivers at an angle, and 74dB to 80dB pressed onto the case).

Also by my ears the HD600s were actually set at a lower listening level and I did the test thinking that while I might not be overcompensating for the noise floor, I might just not be aware that I am still at much louder level (unless it is as you say an issue with the method). The thing is though if I set it any lower (by my ears) it totally cannot get past the noise floor of either just the fan or the A/C running - both would have to be switched off.

EDIT: It might actually be the clamping force as I accidentally just replicated it on the IEM. I was working on my laptop for over two hours without removing them, then I totally forgot to select another album in my library since a few minutes after I logged in here, so give or take around one hour and forty-five minutes of music then roughly 25mins of no music playing after that, and just as I clicked "Submit" the ringing started. Lasted for around three minutes until I removed the IEM, then it was gone within a minute or so.

I'll set an appointment with my ENT day after tomorrow, I might have an infection that is only being aggravated by the pressure exerted by the headphone and IEM. For tomorrow night though I'm gonna try the headphone again, this time back to my original nine click out from tightest setting (moved it to six clicks a few weeks ago when I dozed off and they fell off my head).

Oct 22, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #123 of 205
I would just buy a proper SPL meter, they are not expensive for entry level models. But measuring things like this isn't easy, mainly because of the seal issues, and even a few dB difference is significant when it comes to hearing damage.

And I would really be careful with your listening levels. Either it's something physiological and for that your ENT appointment is a good choice, or it's your body warning you it's being stressed too much, so piling on the volume on top of that isn't a good idea.
If anything I would lower the volume for a couple days at least and see if your problem goes away.

Oct 23, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #124 of 205
  I would just buy a proper SPL meter, they are not expensive for entry level models. But measuring things like this isn't easy, mainly because of the seal issues, and even a few dB difference is significant when it comes to hearing damage.

I haven;t had time to visit the shops that have it, ad over here shipping if I get them from Amazon would cost more than the gas, plus Customs charges. I haven't seen local internet dealers for that. But I'm bringing in my system to have a tech in a hi-fi shop take a look at it, so I'll borrow their dB meter. Short of bringing hog head without the brain but the skin still on I think I'll try to measure the headphone with the mic taped to the an earpad (and gaps around it sealed off), then stick it on top of the other driver.

And I would really be careful with your listening levels. Either it's something physiological and for that your ENT appointment is a good choice, or it's your body warning you it's being stressed too much, so piling on the volume on top of that isn't a good idea.
If anything I would lower the volume for a couple days at least and see if your problem goes away.

I'm retesting the clamp pressure angle right now for the IEMs - I've been wearing it for around twenty minutes with no music running; so far no ringing. When I get home I'm gonna do the same test on the headphones at a tight setting, see if I can make the ringing happen (and a lot faster too because I'm running out of patience with the IEMs like this).

Oct 23, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #125 of 205
You can't measure headphones accurately without proper gear. Here's example how Innerfidelity does their tests: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurment-proceedures-introduction-and-equipment

Clamping can be a factor, but it's a long shot. The reason is facial nerves that connect to the auditory nerves and thus ultimatelly to the sound sensation in our brains.

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #126 of 205
Have tinnitus in my left ear, noticed the ringing about 5-6  years back. Am very careful with volume levels now, hasn't gotten worse since I discovered it (at least I think so).

Nov 20, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #127 of 205
I have a mild tinnitus in the left ear which is more apparant at times when I am physically not that well.
It started after I had visited a concert, must be some 10 years ago. I remember very clearly the bass was hitting so loud, repeatedly that I litterally felt my eardrum beat heavily to the point it was about to pop out. It didn't hurt though. Afer that my left ear was itchy for a week.
The ringing mostly occurs when it is very quiet or when I'm listening classical music, during soft passages or moments when mostly the upper registers (violins) sing.
It doesn't get worse with louder playing, athough I never play really loud anyways. Ironically many times the solution to get rid of the ringing in my left ear is to play just a little louder, to fill in more sound so I don't notice the ringing that much.

The last year has gone by without any noticable ringing, but only recently after I had bought a new amp, the V-DAC MKII (which I have send back) my tinnitus was triggered by a channel imbalance of the amp. The left channel was off, my left ear tried to compensate the missing sound by working harder, listening harder.
To me tinnitus in general is triggered by critical listening, so for now I avoid listening to music only, I mean when playing music I do something other as well, browse the internet for instance, it reliefs the pressure on my left ear.

Nov 21, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #128 of 205
Update: a couple of weeks ago my doctor checked my ears. He cleaned it, found nothing wrong, did some frequency and loudness test, everything was normal. When I put my headphones back on after a clump of wax was taken off each, lo and behold, it was waaaaaaay too loud
redface.gif
I went in with the Fiio X1 at around level 50 on my IEM; I made my way home with it at 38 to 40.

Nov 22, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #129 of 205
To me tinnitus in general is triggered by critical listening, so for now I avoid listening to music only, I mean when playing music I do something other as well, browse the internet for instance, it reliefs the pressure on my left ear.

Yep.  It doesn't appear to much of an issue except when "listening critically to music" (which is I loved to do) and it can become a bit louder later in the evening (which is probably an indication that I'm becoming mentally fatigued).  But during normal activities, I often don't notice it.  What a bummer for an audiophile, however!

Jun 8, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #130 of 205
I can hear mild tinnitus in a quiet room when I put down the headphones after about an hour of straight listening.

In an attempt to relieve my ears of fatigue, I went to the drug store and bought myself a box of cheap ear plugs. I got about 50 ear plugs for $8 or so. Before I went to sleep that night, I inserted the ear plugs, which made the ringing more up-front and close. Since tinnitus is as much physical as it is mental, the ringing became louder and louder as I concentrated on it. It's a bit of an endurance test if you let it bug you, but as I got up the next morning, I noticed the ringing was gone.

I can't guarantee everyone else will result in the same experience, but don't take my word for it, it might just not work for you. 

This works for me too.

Jun 8, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #131 of 205
Two advice:

1) DO NOT listen to your tinnitus, especially if you just got it. This 'trains your brain' to remember it and if you are upset about it, even more so.

2) If you hear tinnitus after listening to headphones, that means you are listening too loud. Drop the volume immediatelly, unless you want tinnitus to stay. And trust me, you don't want that.

Jun 13, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #132 of 205
  I have a mild tinnitus in the left ear which is more apparant at times when I am physically not that well.
It started after I had visited a concert, must be some 10 years ago. I remember very clearly the bass was hitting so loud, repeatedly that I litterally felt my eardrum beat heavily to the point it was about to pop out. It didn't hurt though. 

I felt this 'pop' as well during a heavy bass drop at a concert. But several ENT's didn't see any damage on my ear drums. Was wearing 25 DB ear plugs though when it happened. 

Jun 14, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #133 of 205
I worked as a carpenter for 30+ yr, over 20 of those years without hearing protection. Up to a few years ago Ive had "common" levels of tinnitus for the longest time. At that point the tinnitus turned to *raging* levels, its almost unbelievable. It never goes away. Seriously. Sometimes I wonder I don't go mad.

Close to the same point in time, I noticed my audio preferences were changing in questionable ways. Went in for a hearing exam and the results showed quite a bit of roll off at the top, of which I wouldn't doubt has gotten worse. Have learned to love built in digital equalizers.

Jun 14, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #134 of 205
I worked as a carpenter for 30+ yr, over 20 of those years without hearing protection. Up to a few years ago Ive had "common" levels of tinnitus for the longest time. At that point the tinnitus turned to *raging* levels, its almost unbelievable. It never goes away. Seriously. Sometimes I wonder I don't go mad.

Close to the same point in time, I noticed my audio preferences were changing in questionable ways. Went in for a hearing exam and the results showed quite a bit of roll off at the top, of which I wouldn't doubt has gotten worse. Have learned to love built in digital equalizers.

Was there any specific reason why it went from common to raging?

Jun 14, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #135 of 205

Was there any specific reason why it went from common to raging?

Don't know if its true or not, but have always heard hearing damage often hits years later. There could have been an incident that I don't recall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back