How many of you have tinnitus?
Jul 28, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #196 of 205
Yup, and it's very distressing for me as I'm 25 and it's audible over most background noise because of how high-pitched it is (15-17kHz). The thought that I will be dealing with this for the rest of my life still often throws me although I've had it for about 10 years at this point.

I'm going to throw a hypothesis out there that anyone can disagree with or not: audiophiles and musicians tend to have a higher incidence of tinnitus not because of widespread hearing loss (although it's probably true that hearing loss incidence is higher with us than with most of the population) but because we pay attention much more closely to our hearing than others, and can end up zoning in on parasitic parts of our own auditory processing as a result. In effect, because we've trained ourselves to hear anything and everything, we unfortunately end up hearing artifacts of our own brain.

I know I have very mild unilateral hearing loss in my right ear as a result of practicing loud music with insufficient hearing protection, and this does cause tinnitus, which sounds like a sort of scratchy high-frequency sound sort of like the sound of a bad vacuum tube, very quiet and inaudible most of the time. Then there is an additional "subjective" tinnitus that can be audible as a powerful, very loud ringing - this is usually in the presence of background noise, and seems to vary based on my psychological state, i.e., it's much louder when I'm focusing on it (which is not an easy habit to stop), due to stress or otherwise. Very quiet masking sound, on the order of 20-30dB for the relevant frequencies, can usually render this inaudible, indicating that it has an actual volume of around 20-30 dB or so, but in situations without a lot going on above 10kHz (i.e. most settings, lol) it can be distressingly loud. So paradoxically it is subjectively quieter in quieter settings.

Research on tinnitus seems to support the hypothesis that a very mild hearing loss-induced tinnitus can be amplified as a result of one's own distress regarding the state of one's hearing. The solution, of course, is to simply not pay attention to it - but this is easier said than done, especially for those of us who really care about our hearing. It also supports the possibility that a subjective kind of tinnitus can be present with no hearing loss at all, which was certainly true for me up to the point where I started to have hearing loss. But a ringing that seems to vary based on mood, volume of surroundings, etc. is probably more dependent on psychology than not, for however much it's worth to you sufferers out there. To me, it's a small comfort to know that a re-framing of my psychology could potentially go a long way toward mitigating my tinnitus, even if such a re-framing isn't necessarily easy or immediately possible.

For what it's worth, this YouTube channel is the best resource I've found for tinnitus information. There's way too much BS out there, but the perspectives this guy presents seem to be very level-headed: https://www.youtube.com/@benthompsonaud/

Jul 29, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #197 of 205
Research on tinnitus seems to support the hypothesis that a very mild hearing loss-induced tinnitus can be amplified as a result of one's own distress regarding the state of one's hearing. The solution, of course, is to simply not pay attention to it - but this is easier said than done
I've had it since 1987 and at first thought it was a sign I was losing my mind, but made the conscious decision I was not going to let it bother me and for the most part it hasn't. I haven't experienced any hearing loss but it is the same volume, in both ears, as everything else. just layered in with it.

It's least noticeable when I wake up and loudest if I'm really tired. There were times early on when I went to bed to get some relief but not for years and doesn't keep me from falling asleep.

Make peace with it. Not make friends because who wants a friend like that, but learn to co-exist.

Jul 30, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #198 of 205
Anyone hear of this treatment?

This might be a legit cure, the study was done with a lot of people over a year & the sucess rate is like 80%.

Attachments

• tin.jpg
    tin.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 0
Aug 6, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #199 of 205
I'll have it occasionally, only when listening to music at a highest volume for about an hour. I noticed it after I started trying the Focal Bathy's at the beginning of the year. I think this might be partially due to getting a hearing injury in 2018 when I was doing frequency sweep tests with my AKG K553 pro and bumping up the amplitude of those peaking filter sweeps like 20 decibels.

Aug 16, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #200 of 205
I have pretty significant tinnitus. I think mine is a mix of hearing loss and neurological factors, because I've noticed mine is directly correlated to the levels of visual snow I'm currently experiencing, and visual snow has been linked to excess excitatory/glutamatergic activity in the brain.

I've found supplementing NAC or Agmatine (which both reduce glutamate activity) to reduce both my tinnitus and visual snow, though more-so the latter and of course it can't reverse any sort of hearing loss, only reduce any tinnitus that's there from parts of your brain firing off too excessively.

One thing that I think would be a fun experiment is for people to find what frequency their tinnitus peaks at and see if their main headphones/speakers have a peak at that point.

I found mine peak around 8KHz, and sure enough that's right where my HD25 has a nasty peak.

Aug 18, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #201 of 205
I had never heard of visual snow. Sounds absolutely wonderful... I do remember hearing talk a long time ago about seeing spots before your eyes and even on cartoons..

I have brain zaps, which is in no way related to my tinnitus. Most commonly associated with antidepressant withdrawal, I've never taken them and not on any meds.

My Hepatic Encephalopathy doesn't seem to be getting any worse and am actually feeling better, which is a good thing.
i walked off and left my debit card in the ATM slot yesterday, which is not but I'm dancing fast as I can.

Sep 16, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #203 of 205
Make sure to look into things if you have inflammation around the joint area. You can have a teeth infection in the molar that can inflame the area to cause tinnitus. Hearing damage isn't the only cause.

Sep 25, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #205 of 205
I had sudden hearing loss of my right ear, happened pretty much over night I got ringing and then the same night I had very bad vertigo. Went to the drs the next day got pills for ear infection but it was too late. Prior to that I didn’t have any symptoms to make me think I had an ear infection but here we are.️ it sucks :/ I will start to check hearing aid store now and consider getting myself a pair of aids.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back