How many of you have tinnitus?
Dec 3, 2005 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 205

J-Pak

Headphoneus Supremus
Just curious how many people have tinnitus?

Definition of tinnitus from Mayo Medical Clinic:
"Head noise, or ringing in the ears (tinnitus), is common. Millions of Americans have tinnitus to a distressing degree. Tinnitus comes from the Latin word tinnire, meaning "to ring." Tinnitus isn't a disease. It's a symptom that can be caused by a number of medical conditions. Tinnitus may be the result of age-related hearing loss or ear injury, or it may be an indication of a disease of your circulatory system."

So I've created a poll for the various degrees of tinnitus. Note that this poll is completely annonymous, noone will know what you checked off

I've completed my ENT surgery rotation so this will give me a good idea of how many people specific to the "audiophile group" have it. Thanks in advance for your help
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2005 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 205
I really have to listen hard to hear anything with mine, and this is only in a perfectly silent room. Started noticing it about 5 months ago, but it hasnt got any worse since, so as long as it stays the way it is, im fine with it.

Dec 3, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 205
good to know im in the majority of the poll.. #4

i learnt of the dictionary word for this last year or so.. now im starting to wonder if its abnormal. how may i tweak my system to get rid of tinnitus?? total rewire?

im also aware that this tinnitus gets as loud as a loudspeaker (even in noisy enviroments) -- for example if you get slapped on the face (over the ear). from personal experience or not... it doesnt matter to you ; ))

Dec 3, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #5 of 205
I had #5 at times. I cut down on my listening time so I dont have that anymore though.

I wonder how many frequencies i've erased so far since I was a musician in school for about 6 years :|

Dec 3, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #6 of 205
I've only noticed it late at night when I'm alone and tired. Any other time and I can't hear the sound. There was a thread a while back on the High Efficiency Speaker Asylum in audioasylum.com about this and how it's not as permanent as some people think. There's herbal remedies that can help to curb the effects and also daily practices to help.

Dec 3, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #7 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak

I've completed my ENT surgery rotation so this will give me a good idea of how many people specific to the "audiophile group" have it.

Your poll won't provide statistically significant data since it naturally attracts sufferers.
Fortunately I don't have tinnitus nor another kind of hearing impairment (except of a natural treble roll off beyond 16.5 kHz due to age
confused.gif
)
Aging sucks.

Dec 3, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #8 of 205
I sustained a mild tinnitus through ~90dB listening volumes in early 2004.
not really noticeable unless it is quiet, and its not very annoying.

Is it possible for someone to not hear their own tinnitus because they cant hear past a certain frequency ?
(no one else in my family can hear the cheap CRT making the HF noise o_O)

Dec 3, 2005 at 6:25 PM Post #9 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
Your poll won't provide statistically significant data since it naturally attracts sufferers.
Fortunately I don't have tinnitus nor another kind of hearing impairment (except of a natural treble roll off beyond 16.5 kHz due to age
confused.gif
)
Aging sucks.

I have the epidemiology for the general public, but this poll is more for my curiousity since it's aimed at a group that listens to a lot of music and probably include a fair number of concert go'ers.

Dec 3, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #10 of 205
eek.gif
Wow, so far the results are very alarming. I'm actually shocked the percentages of people reporting some form of tinnitus is so high.

Dec 3, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #12 of 205
I have tinnitus in my right ear all the time (and now periodically in my left) that very clearly coincided with and resulted from a hardcore year of headphone use. I also have pain in both ears periodically, which at one time was quite significant. I also have what I would consider increased and abnormal sensitivity to loud noises.

My hearing test results were within normal variance year over year, but showed up to a five decibel hearing loss. I listened at low volumes (6:30 on my amp, 15-20% or so on my Ipod), but for extended periods of time.

I'd caution anyone using headphones to use low volumes (it's amazing how high people think low volumes are) and limit their daily exposure. And to listen to their body. If I had it to do over again, that's what I'd do, and I wish I had the chance to fix my ear and hearing issues.

Dec 3, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #14 of 205
to all those who don't suffer from tinnitus... how does it feel to be in a closed place with no noise.. and no ringing in the ear? how does silence sound?

Dec 3, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #15 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by moj0
to all those who don't suffer from tinnitus... how does it feel to be in a closed place with no noise.. and no ringing in the ear? how does silence sound?

I wish I knew what that was like.
frown.gif

My tinnitus is usually only heard by me in the dead of the night.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back