how many of you guys cook???
Dec 23, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #1,246 of 3,876
I made some homemade granola bars for my students last week.

6 cups of bran flakes (or corn flakes)
4 cups of stuff (dried apricots, raisins, craisins, chocolate chips, coconut, sesame seeds, etc)
1 can of condensed milk

Mix it all together, spread it out on a cookie sheet (grease it or use foil to make removal easier), bake at ~300F for maybe twenty minutes or whenever it starts to brown a bit. This is just to dry the mixture, not to actually cook anything. Remove from oven, let cool for a bit, cut while still warm. 

Super simple, healthy, delicious. Total time to make it is about half an hour. 

Dec 25, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #1,247 of 3,876
We're sharing cooking duties for the holiday. I'm in charge of the Persimmon pudding, yorkshire pudding, trifle, and a roast beast in the oven...

Christmas is here!

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #1,248 of 3,876
Love to cook and experiment with food! Love to bake things too... but I agree, cleaning up is the hard part. I always use excuse "the cook never cleans" 
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #1,249 of 3,876
My ghetto pie recipe...

crust (if you didn't pie a premade one)
- 2 cups pancake mix, with less water/milk or whatever so it makes a dough. 
- roll 2/3 of it into a ball, flatten into a circle, put into pie pan
--- secret trick: flatten it on a piece of parchment paper or tin foil until it's slightly larger than the pie pan, then put the pan upside down on top and flip everything over and smoosh into place
- roll out the remainder into another circle, this will be the pie top after you put the filling in (if you're feeling fancy, slice it up and weave it on top)

filling:
- three apples, peeled and sliced
- put into a container, coat with some flour and cinammon, put lid on and shake
- heat up a half cup of jam, spoon a bit all over the pie

cook:
- oven, 350F, 1 hour 

Dec 31, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #1,252 of 3,876
Quote:
I just deep fried some donuts:

I've got vanilla, chocolate, and maple.  The maple is the best by far. 
tongue_smile.gif

You suck, deep fried as in a deep frier?

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #1,255 of 3,876
I started cooking for fun after I found this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Recipe-Cooks-Illustrated-Magazine/dp/0936184744/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325449637&sr=8-1

Seriously the best cookbook I've ever found and appeals really to the nerd in me. This book isn't your normal cookbook. There's literally a method and results section before each recipe outlining how they tested each permutation to figure out the optimal amount of each ingredient and the order of cooking. Also it has copious reviews of various cooking equipment that I hope to be able to afford one day =)

I highly suggest head-fi'ers check it out

Vote

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #1,256 of 3,876

Kimchee, for the first time.

Three pounds of cabbage made about two quarts.

Healthy hippie meal.

Banana cookies for dessert AudioDude!

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #1,257 of 3,876
I'm a certified pastry cook. here's a few of my projects from school. nice to see people talking knives on here. I have a konosuke hd 240mm gyuto and a kikuichi 240 which I really love.

this one was painted off the top of my head. it's supposed to be like the mono - you are there album art. it's some sort of flour less chocolate cake I'm pretty sure.

aefc1d05-c37f-c5b7.jpg

self explanatory. no idea what kind of cake this was

aefc1d05-c463-c164.jpg

marzipan fruit basket

aefc1d05-c479-2306.jpg

Jan 2, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #1,259 of 3,876

Quote:
I'm a certified pastry cook. here's a few of my projects from school. nice to see people talking knives on here. I have a konosuke hd 240mm gyuto and a kikuichi 240 which I really love.
this one was painted off the top of my head. it's supposed to be like the mono - you are there album art. it's some sort of flour less chocolate cake I'm pretty sure.

self explanatory. no idea what kind of cake this was
aefc1d05-c463-c164.jpg

marzipan fruit basket

That is awesome!  I'd almost hate to eat it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back