how many of you guys cook???
Nov 5, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #1,171 of 3,876
Aw man! Jerk chicken. It's hard to explain, it's a little bit spicy, has an abundance of flavor, with an almost smokey taste to it as well. Great texture to it as well. I highly recommend looking up some recipes for it. It's not expensive to make, and it is delicious. 

Nov 6, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #1,173 of 3,876
Here's my very first attempt at an apple strudel (apfelstrudel for you Austrians):

Dough:

Filling:

Baking:

Done:

This had to have been the most intense thing I've ever baked; it was a pretty good challenge but I think I did a decent job.  Rolling out and stretching the dough was nerve-wracking since it has to be thinner than paper, but having some holes is acceptable.  I wasn't able to stretch it out to the recommended size but I guess I got close enough.  To roll it, I pulled up on the bedsheet and it sort of rolled itself, but it wasn't as tight as it should have been so some of the juices leaked out during baking (upper-right corner of the last picture) and a section of the bottom is soggy.  It seems fairly crispy, but I'll find out once I cut it open.

I also made some whipped cream to go along with it and I'll post a final picture when I cut a slice.

The moment of truth...

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #1,175 of 3,876
Quote:
^yum, what recipe?

http://chefinyou.com/2009/05/austrian-apple-strudel/

The author's strudel looks much crispier.  Well, there's always next weekend...
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 9, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #1,179 of 3,876
It's kimchi jjigae, a traditional Korean soup.

I mixed it up this time and it didn't come out as good, but still excellent with rice for this chilly weather
smile.gif

Nov 9, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #1,181 of 3,876
Kimchi, tofu and spicy broth....:tongue_smile:

You can never go wrong with those ingredients. Really, you can put kimchi in or on anything and it becomes the better for it.

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #1,182 of 3,876

Oh yeah I totally agree lol

Quote:
Kimchi, tofu and spicy broth....
tongue_smile.gif

You can never go wrong with those ingredients. Really, you can put kimchi in or on anything and it becomes the better for it.

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #1,184 of 3,876

Quote:
I thought it was tomato soup with huge chunks of butter and a pile of cilantro on top.  
biggrin.gif

Hah, it does look a little odd when out of context.

Quote:
Oh yeah I totally agree lol

Nice username. Do you prefer yours fresh or sour? 
tongue.gif

Quote:
Kimchi, tofu and spicy broth....
tongue_smile.gif

True, but the tofu was too soft, I added too much cilantro (not pho lol), and the kimche was too fresh. I don't think I've ever said something was too fresh, but it was!

Nov 11, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #1,185 of 3,876

Quote:

Made some for breakfast this morning. I put the cheddar on top this time and it looks better presentation wise. I prefer to just add it while its in the skillet though, I think it taste better. There are no set rules how to make something, make it however you want. Be creative. 

On the right is a popular Hawaiian breakfast dish consisting of portugese sausage, spam, eggs, and rice. Something I ate growing up. I still make it quite often and only takes a few minutes. They serve it in all McDonalds in Hawaii. 

Hey, just wondering, is that dish a variation of "Loco Moco"? Because i just saw heard it on Hawaii 5.0, went to search "Loco Moco" up, and damn! It looks D-E-LICIOUS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back