how many of you guys cook???
Jan 24, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #736 of 3,876
You wouldn't believe the number of arguments I've had with a friend and a cousin over sauce or no sauce on steaks.  That's right, arguments.  Personally, I am on team no sauce.

Quote:
A good steak, well prepared, needs no sauce. Sauce would be an insult to a fine Delmonico or fillet. And don't get me wrong; I am a connoisseur of hot sauce. I've got sauces based on habanero, datil, chipolte, jalapeno, and boring old cayenne--the side of my refrigerator is stacked full of hot sauce.

But none of it comes anywhere near my steaks.

Jan 24, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #737 of 3,876

Quote:
A good steak, well prepared, needs no sauce. Sauce would be an insult to a fine Delmonico or fillet. And don't get me wrong; I am a connoisseur of hot sauce. I've got sauces based on habanero, datil, chipolte, jalapeno, and boring old cayenne--the side of my refrigerator is stacked full of hot sauce.

I think for cheaper cuts of steaks, it's alright. I think it also depends on how you prepare and with what.

Jan 24, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #738 of 3,876
Again, curries.... (by the way, where are those recipes we would get?)

(paksoi, tomatoes)

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #739 of 3,876
If the cut isn't very good, sometimes I'll bend the rule. But that happens about once in a blue moon around my way. I'm thinking of people who slather sauce on everything, regardless of whether it's a good cut of meat or not. My friend piles HP Sauce on his steak when he comes over. We all kind of look at him a little bit and have to remind ourselves that he's not insulting our cooking--he just likes his sauce.

Quote:
Quote:

I think for cheaper cuts of steaks, it's alright. I think it also depends on how you prepare and with what.

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #740 of 3,876

Quote:
Again, curries.... (by the way, where are those recipes we would get?)

[snipped the mouth watering pictures]

Lord does that look good. It doesn't help that I'm craving just about anything exotic about now.

Jan 24, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #741 of 3,876
^3
basshead.gif
. I so love curry. :[

Jan 24, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #742 of 3,876
Agreed, and look at that hot sauce right across from it. 
tongue.gif

Jan 24, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #744 of 3,876
Mmmm,cooking with beer-great way to get your iron from the extra stout!

I enjoy a hot curry too,that meal would be fullfiling.

As for the hot sauce,I admit to putting some on the fried,basted egg :wink:

I'll set out the Tabasco for a guest anytime.

A well executed Bernaise,Green Peppercorn or Port Wine Sauce are tasty on a steak in the evening hours...

Jan 24, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #745 of 3,876
In the summer, we make our own tomato or mango chutney (not the English sweet versions, but the Suriname/Indian hot version)

But it has to be cooked for hours, so we're doing that when we can leave the kitchen door open, otherwise the house smells like chutney for days.

Jan 24, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #746 of 3,876
I like that Jack Daniels steak sauce you have in US, especially that smokey version

Jan 24, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #747 of 3,876

Quote:

I've gotten into a good amount of arguments on that. Typically I believe a good steak should not need any sauce. As long as it is prepped well I don't believe in sauce in steaks. I'll let the natural juices inside the steak do its job :)

Jan 24, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #748 of 3,876
Ik like the variation: sometimes a bite without sauce, sometimes a bite with.

But I agree, really good (prepared) meat is tasty without anything, if it's well seasoned

Users who are viewing this thread

Back