how many of you guys cook???
Jul 3, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #3,647 of 3,876
Ribs tonight, for the Football. Dry rub overnight, then 1 hour in the slow cooker unadorned, 2 hours with sauce on and 15 minutes in a hot oven (with a bit more sauce) to get 'em sticky all over and crisp at the edges. There's some black treacle in the sauce, too.

I may need a shower.

Jul 6, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #3,649 of 3,876
Cool project. I happened upon this rotating barrel of basking basil plants while on a personal city walk.

Jul 9, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #3,653 of 3,876
And I must say, parbaked's dinner was incredible. The wine was also above the norm. parbaked is the perfect buddy be it pizza or music.

Sep 10, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #3,658 of 3,876

Bought another 6in skillet a couple weeks ago, this time with raised ear handles instead of a long one. Perfect for weekend rice breakfast dishes. Seared the sausages first on one side with some onions, and juices oozed along with rendered fat, dropped in red rice, mixed it in the sausage fat, added hot water, then chopped kimchi, then put the sausages back in browned side down and finished it all in the oven. Then dropped an egg and kept it in the oven to cook with the residual heat.

Sep 25, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #3,659 of 3,876
I mixed up a batch of shawarma spice yesterday.

I am about to start cooking the lamb shoulder I marinated in some of the spice mix overnight. Smells good!

Here's the mix in descending order of measurements - enough to last a while, but not enough for it to go stale before finishing:
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander (cilantro) seed
1 tablespoon smoked garlic powder

1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Sep 25, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #3,660 of 3,876
Last night we were using the grill to season our new carbon steel and cast irons, so we couldn't start using the grill right away. Which is why I cooked the pork belly sous vide and then took it off the water a little over an hour before we were done seasoning my wok and flat-handle carbon steel skillet, plus my friend's new cast iron skillet (welcome to the Lodge...coincidentally his cousin was late because he was trying to join a Masonic Lodge), and a carbon steel paella pan.

Flash revealed it was a little splotchy still but it wasn't noticeable when wiping.

Sous Vide pork belly

1kg bone-in pork belly, cut into roughly 5in X 2in X 2in blocks (you can start frozen)
Sea salt
Palm oil

Braising liquid (make double but keep the other half separate)
2 Tbsp Kikkoman soy sauce
3 Tbsp Sesame oil
1 Tbsp Lee Kum Kee chili garlic oil (or make your own)
1 Tbsp Muscovado sugar (or plain brown sugar)
1 Tbsp Five Spice
1 Tbsp Fennel Seeds
10 cloves garlic, finely minced
Sriracha to taste

Dip
100ml dark cane vinegar
Kikkoman soy sauce, Sriracha, and Muscovado sugar (brown sugar, maple syrup, etc) to taste

1. Mix braising liquid ingredients together and pour into sous vide bag, then place the pork belly in. Make sure all the chunks get coated properly, then vacuum seal (or close the ziploc bag). If pork is frozen leave it in the fridge overnight before the vacuum seal.

2. Once pork is ready, prepare the sous vide circulator and set it up for 75C, four hours minimum (look up the ghetto techniques for using hot water in a cooler and a candy thermometer, which is what I used) and place the pork in (if you're using ziplocs, submerge open and let the water pressure squeeze the air out before sealing).

3. Once you hit 4hrs or a little under 2hrs prior to roasting, remove the pork from the water bath, let drain, pat dry. Sprinkle a layer of salt on any convenient container and place pork skin side down on the salt.

4. Let the skin dry out this way for at least half an hour while preparing your grill as needed, preheated to 175C on the direct heat side along with your preferred wood chips.

5. Shake off and wash off the salt very gently, then pat skin dry. Brush spare marinade on the meat, and use a separate brush to apply oil on the skin.

6. Place pork over indirect heat with the skin facing the hot side, vents over the pork (if you're using charcoal, and I hope you are). Brush the meat with the marinade/glaze, then flip (skin still facing direct heat) and brush again.

7. Test skin for crispness. If not yet to your liking, brush on more palm oil and place the pork chunks skin side down over indirect heat, turning as necessary to crisp all areas of the skin.

8. Mix the dip while resting the meat and serve with pickled papaya (or kimchi, sauerkraut, etc) or your favorite creamy white cheese (Phl buffalo milk cheese, feta, brie, etc).

I recommend dark beer to go with this, or a very sweet, cheap red wine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back