how many of you guys cook???
May 29, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #3,616 of 3,876
Like you, I won't be giving up my naturally omnivorous nature, but yes, we should all be eating a bit less meat.

Not just for save-the-planet reasons, not just for health, or whatever other reason, but also because creating something irresistibly tasty without resorting to meat makes us better cooks. And that's a good thing too.

May 30, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #3,617 of 3,876
I baked a Dutch Apple Cake (Appeltaart) and brought it over to a paella birthday dinner last night. Success!

Jun 4, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #3,620 of 3,876

A little chocolate babka for fun.  

Jun 4, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #3,623 of 3,876
  That looks interesting... and weird! But all the ingredients are tasty, so it might be worth a try.

I found this recipe - would you recommend it? https://cookpad.com/uk/recipes/282514-nakladany-hermelin-spicy-marinated-camembert

That's the one. My friend, Stano, who is Czech, says he marinates his cheese for three weeks. Here's another recipe I referenced: http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2015/02/27/Czech-Marinated-Cheese

Stano serves it with some German bread and cranberry jam:

Jun 4, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #3,624 of 3,876
  Here's another recipe I referenced: http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2015/02/27/Czech-Marinated-Cheese

At last, a recipe with actual measurements! I searched eight or nine, and all of them were irritatingly vague on at least one important part of the recipe.

And despite this one being on some sort of diet website, it doesn't seem to skimp on proper ingredients or substitute them for something depressingly puritanical.

Jun 4, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #3,625 of 3,876
  At last, a recipe with actual measurements! I searched eight or nine, and all of them were irritatingly vague on at least one important part of the recipe.

And despite this one being on some sort of diet website, it doesn't seem to skimp on proper ingredients or substitute them for something depressingly puritanical.

I've only heard about this recipe; I've never eaten it and this is my first attempt at making it. I, too, am curious about the end result.

Jun 5, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #3,626 of 3,876

Lazy, single man living alone breakfast burger.

1. I had half a can of leftover Palm corned beef  (still uncooked), excess brine and oil squeezed out. Add one whole but finely chopped onion and a bit of Sriracha, shape into a patty, and then season with pepper. Chill in the fridge overnight.

2. Sear like any normal burger on a (cast iron) skillet, flip and top with cheese, set aside. Take rendered fat off the skillet, brush on bread, then toast on the skillet. 

3. Put a bit of the oil back as necessary and fry an egg (on properly seasoned cast iron your egg will slide around without additional oil

4. Stack as follows, not as in the photo because I forgot one layer: bottom bun, Kimchi, corned beef with cheese, egg with a spritz of Sriracha, and the top bun. Have it with black coffee and some potato hash (or heck add the potato hash into the sandwich).

Jun 6, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #3,627 of 3,876
Carne asada topped with pickled jalapeños and a side of sweet & sour cabbage.

I felt like a spicy end to a Sunday dinner was in order.

Big meat! Big peppers!

Jun 6, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #3,628 of 3,876
It is time to indulge in some spiced sashimi. Yum!
Purchased at Bristol Farms in San Francisco.

So pack it up in a bento lunch box and take it to work!

Jun 8, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #3,629 of 3,876
I like eating balanced and being a student, it need to be cheap. A freezer is a wonderful invention. Meats and some vegetables can be preserved well for a long time this way :)

Having a cheap meal doesn't mean I have to eat the same thing all the time. The first 3 months I was living alone, I never made the same thing twice for my main meal. I like experimenting and sometimes make unusual combinations. Recipes are only a guideline if I use them. I always end up changing half of the ingredients. I sometimes take pictures of what I make (when it tastes good). Here are a few examples of my self-made up creations:

Eggs, tomatoes, various vegetables, some spices (don't remember which ones exactly)

Eggs, tomatoes, sliced and spiced pieces of meat at the bottom, leek at the top. Perhaps something else through the eggs, but I can't remember.

Self-made curry (with coconut milk and peppers), garlicky rice, avogados and bread with something good in between (included tomato, olives, almonds and cheese)

Jun 15, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #3,630 of 3,876
A casual buffet luncheon delivery from Boulettes Larder to my work. Very healthy looking dishes they are!

My iPhone 6 pictures. With a steady hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back