how many of you guys cook???
Apr 23, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #3,602 of 3,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton SF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. Filipinos know how to cook. 

Not all of course but the thing is as much as the 1950s brought about the era of overworked chauvinists expecting a hot meal at home the older culture crept back in gradually, and that older culture expects men to know how to cook. At minimum you have to know how to grill, something that's kind of true anywhere else (but particularly, outside of SEAsia, the US, Australia, and South Africa).

Past that, at some point there was a running joke that the official blessing to one's engagement with an Ilocana is to cook pinakbet, a vegetable stew that's supposed to be too complex (more like you have to cook the bitter gourd so it won't be bitter), for her parents. Central Luzon followed suit and all in all by now whenever anybody cooks for his friends and they like the food the running joke is that he's ready to get married, because at this point you'll impress the girl's parents. Even my friends who claim they don't know how to cook actually know how to grill pork belly and beef ribs, plus squid and fish - it's just that their idea of what counts as real "cooking" tends to involve for example Eggs Benedict (which requires finesse on the poached eggand technique on the Hollandaise) and dumplings (which requires repetitive but dextruous movements since you have to wrap several dozen of these). Still, at minimum, the idea is that if you have friends over you should be able to cook the beer chow, especially where teens get to start drinking while still in high school and are expected to crash at their friend's house (so nobody drives or takes a cab/train home drunk), pork belly and chicken roasting stalls close at 12mn and pizza delivery used to stop at 9pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton SF /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Are you aware of this program?

Yep, his daughter eats sisig and sinigang a lot and can understand Tagalog thanks to her nanny. 

Apr 23, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #3,605 of 3,876
  See also most Americans' response to the word 'haggis', not that you can get the proper stuff over there, as you're not allowed to import it into the USA.

There are some butchers in the US who would process such animal parts so there's a way around it if you're lucky enough to live near one; I mean even some places in Minnesota make lutefisk. Still, what baffles me is how ignorant people are about what hotdogs are made of. Even people who live near the Oscar Meyer plant complain about the smell.

Wow. Filipinos know how to cook. Are you aware of this program?

A new season of "Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown"

I just remembered something about Jollibee since he ate there in that episode preview - the sugar-laden spaghetti isn't everybody's favorite noodle dish to go with their fried chicken. The other option on their menu, palabok, is nearly as popular here (the spaghetti option is really more for the kids), basically one of the local stir-fried noodle varieties except this one has a sauce that's more like meat sauce (also the variant from Malabon, a small city within the capital region) than what the other types have, but except for the soft-boiled eggs and cracklings sprinkled all over it it's mostly seafood.

Apr 23, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #3,606 of 3,876
We can get head cheese here in San Francisco, but I'm not sure that it is the real deal. I like head cheese which is made from the head of a pig or a cow set in aspic.

Dutch preskop:

German Sülze:

Apr 23, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #3,607 of 3,876
A recent trip to a deli near my sister's place yielded up, among other things, ostrich paté (tasty, but not outstanding) and zout, which is Dutch liquorice flavoured with salmiac salt (ammonium chloride). The latter is... interesting, but I acquired the taste pretty quickly.

Apr 23, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #3,608 of 3,876
  A recent trip to a deli near my sister's place yielded up, among other things, ostrich paté (tasty, but not outstanding) and zout, which is Dutch liquorice flavoured with salmiac salt (ammonium chloride). The latter is... interesting, but I acquired the taste pretty quickly.

I travel to The Netherlands and Belgium every year and bring back bags of zout. The blast of salmiac salt reminds me of the ammonium rush I get after eating some strong cheeses. I do like the taste of Dutch licorice.

I also love Filet Américain and kroketten, which is what I usually eat for lunch (among other things) in Amsterdam.

May 14, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #3,611 of 3,876
Just found this recipe for pork cheeks, which I will be trying tomorrow: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipe/sherry-braised-pig-cheeks

The cheeks are just the cheek meat and not a half head, as sold elsewhere. So you could use large-ish chunks of shoulder instead.

As I don't have any sherry, I will be using the shaoxing rice wine I bought for another recipe a few weeks ago. Otherwise (this first time at least) I will be following instructions.

May 14, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #3,612 of 3,876
  Just found this recipe for pork cheeks, which I will be trying tomorrow: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipe/sherry-braised-pig-cheeks

The cheeks are just the cheek meat and not a half head, as sold elsewhere. So you could use large-ish chunks of shoulder instead.

As I don't have any sherry, I will be using the shaoxing rice wine I bought for another recipe a few weeks ago. Otherwise (this first time at least) I will be following instructions.

The sherry might also be the pick for its flavor profile though, ie, a bit sweet. Try it with rice wine anyway to see what happens, but otherwise I'd think Port might be an easier to find substitute.

May 14, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #3,613 of 3,876

The sherry might also be the pick for its flavor profile though, ie, a bit sweet. Try it with rice wine anyway to see what happens, but otherwise I'd think Port might be an easier to find substitute.

If I didn't have anything at all in the cupboard and had to buy a bottle of something, I think I'd probably try Madeira in this recipe. I think it'd work pretty well with the pork.

May 29, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #3,615 of 3,876
I've been eating less and less meat for health reasons. I'll never give up meat so when I do eat meat it will be well thought out.

So last night's vegetarian snack was a dish of warm tofu with spicy garlic sauce and a bit of radicchio carrot ginger coleslaw on the side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back