how good are the sennheiser hd650's??
May 28, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #16 of 89
Auto proclaimed reference + decent sound + hype = seems all the ingredient you need to justify an expensive purchase.
That doesn't mean you'd wouldn't enjoy cheaper alternative, or a radically different sound signature.
Consumer instinct is so predictable and disappointing.

May 28, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #18 of 89
Quote:
Lol....I hear that! I'm trying....got a moon audio, "blue dragon v3"headphone cable, and am looking to buy myself a little dot mk3 vacuum amp :) so I'm trying...lol

You'd tell then after  if you "reached your audio nirvana", or if you'd  still be asking yourself  "is the hd650 the best buy I could have done ?" . I'm  betting the question  would remain, leaving an itch to spend more.

May 28, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #19 of 89
It doesn't sound bad when not driven properly... but amping it will make it sound a little bit better. 
Quote:
sounds bad if not driven properly--- making it "sing"
sounds gorgeous if you made it "sing" properly. they say using it balanced makes it sound great as well

May 28, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #21 of 89
I like the HD-600 more.  I think that can be the "reference" headphones.  My comparison video between the HD-600 & HD-650 in case you missed it.

May 28, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #22 of 89
Quote:
I'm hoping when I get my little dot mk3, that's it's a huge improvement...right now I'm using a 12 volt amp....so let's hope I reach my Nirvana....

I'd be interested by your "honest" feedback (i.e not letting the buyer remorse influence you).
Davidgotsa just said it would sound " a little bit better". The problem with "little bits", is that I'm not sure, either it's a genuine improvement, or placebo.

May 28, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #24 of 89
Quote:
I like the HD-600 more.  I think that can be the "reference" headphones.  My comparison video between the HD-600 & HD-650 in case you missed it.

-video snipped-

omg you have 3 hands! :D one for each headphone and one for the camera hehehe!

Quote:
It doesn't sound bad when not driven properly... but amping it will make it sound a little bit better. 

it sounds bad to me, haha! everything sounds... incorrect. veiled, muffled, etc

May 29, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #26 of 89
When I hear the phrase "reference quality" in regards to headphones, I think "neutral." To me, "reference" means critical listening and thorough audio examination requiring neutral response.

So, to me, no, I wouldn't call the HD650's reference quality. They're definitely slightly warm in sound signature.

I WOULD, however, call them hi-fi.

May 29, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #27 of 89
Quote:
I've not heard too many much better when it comes to pure sound quality.  Although I think they have some major drawbacks-- namely lack of bass and treble extension.  The silver damping version I would consider reference class, it's very flat and smooth in its frequency response except for those rolloffs.

Well, you and I disagree on whether the reduced bass is a drawback or just the nature of it.  And personally I consider the lack of treble extension a feature, not a draw-back.  HE-400 is the closest to HD650 I get without treble fatigue, but HD650, I can, and have, had them playing for many hours straight without fatigue. Treble rolloff = + for me!

Quote:
ht (I've read some complaints about clamp force, which I've never personally understood, but I'm not doubting that some people may have issues).

I used to think HD650 had a vice grip clamp and could be considered uncomfortable.  Then I bought HiFiMans.  And Denons which don't clamp hard but have a narrow under-padded front part of the ear-pad.  I now realize how truly comfortable HD650 is...

Quote:
I guess it's because I really want a really supreme headphone....a headphone that others say are one of the best headphones out there....guess that's why

Quote:
You shouldn't want a headphone based on what others think.  You should want a headphone based on what your ears think.

+1.  For what it's worth, the HD650 has been around for almost 10 years.   I bought mine 5.5 years or so ago.  Back then it was the best headphone money could buy for under $10k (Stax, Orpheus, that sort of thing.)  Back then the three competitors for the top spot were HD650, K701, DT880.  All were at around the $500 mark, and nearly all conversation here at H-F was dominated by those three. Today a significant portion of the conversation is still focused on these headphones, and instead of replacing the $500 flagship headphone lineup with newer, better models, the manufacturers seem to have decided to leave them where they were and introduce the new stuff at double and triple the price along side them.

So if your definition of "supreme" includes headphones that a few years ago were the pinnacle of audio at any price, had people spending $10k for signal chains for them, and the closest thing to an upgrade costs 2x-3x more, and no one can seem to agree one if they're better in all aspects or just some, then, yes, you have a supreme headphone
wink.gif

Otherwise, save up for HD800, but don't be surprised in a few years when they release and HD850 or HD900 for $2500 and yours is no longer supreme again
biggrin.gif

Quote:
To me. They are the perfect headphone. To me... Every time I think of grabbing an HE500 or an LCD2 (I'm very treble sensitive, so I feel those are my only two "upgrade" options) I throw on my 650s and ask, will I enjoy them more than I'm enjoying this right now? Answer is usually NO. I think I only want something new to get something new.
Everyone has likes and dislikes and if you are striving to have the 'Best" out there based on what other people think, you're going to need to drop some serious coin ($10K+) to impress the folks around here. 

I agree with you fully, you put my thoughts to words.  I'm treble sensitive as well which makes me cautious of HD800 and T1.  I'm also sensitive to big things on my head  and though I was strongly tempted by LCD-2, I think it's wisest that HE-400 is the heaviest headphone I have and go no heavier.  I always answer that same question when listening to my stuff.  Will an upgrade improve my music enjoyment and the answer is usually the same as yours.  I have HE-400, reportedly very similar to HE-500 though a bit below.  I still prefer my decked out HD650s best once I built a nice setup around them.  But I like both of them quite a lot.  There may be more technical improvement in the better cans.  The soundstaging improvements would be very welcome to me.  However detail retrieval improvements, I don't think would change my enjoyment of the music, there's already more detail in a well set up HD650 system than you'd get to hear at a live performance...what they heck do I need more for?  Heck my SE535's should run with the best of them for detail retrieval.  BA amatures do detail easily.  And I really like them.  But give my my HD650s on tubes any day....
wink.gif

Quote:

It depends on the improper amp and why its improper.  Some will make it sound bad, veiled, etc.  Others will just make it sound overwhelmingly average.

Quote:
I'm hoping when I get my little dot mk3, that's it's a huge improvement...right now I'm using a 12 volt amp....so let's hope I reach my Nirvana....

Audio Nirvana is not something you find.  It finds you.  After you spend every penny you've ever had on audio gear, with nothing left to spend on it, audio Nirvana will have found you at last!
atsmile.gif

Quote:
When I hear the phrase "reference quality" in regards to headphones, I think "neutral." To me, "reference" means critical listening and thorough audio examination requiring neutral response.

So, to me, no, I wouldn't call the HD650's reference quality. They're definitely slightly warm in sound signature.

I WOULD, however, call them hi-fi.

FINALLY, someone who rightfully calls them hi-fi instead of the dreaded (and abhorrently false) "mid-fi"!!
beerchug.gif

In the case of HD650 I think "reference" was a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Generally reference means flat, colorless sound, and means a general intention of studio-type use in recording, mixing, tracking, monitoring, mastering, whatever.  HD600 was that.  Since HD650 was carried over from the HD600 line, they stuck with the reference naming for marketing despite being anything but neutral with it's self described warm tone.  However due to its extreme popularity and long life, it is now the reference of references, as it's impossible to hear any useful comparison of gear that doesn't involve the word "HD650" somewhere in the comparison.  Virtually all gear is compared using HD650 as the baseline these days.  If that isn't fulfilling the role of a reference, nothing is
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #28 of 89
+1 on what IEM has stated..

Remember,they are still rated #4 on head-fi over the ear headphone.,& that rating has stayed that way ,for a while.

Recently,the right driver on my Lcd-2rev1 died,and ,I have been listening to the 650's with my Lorenz,& Amperex 7308 tubes,and they are absolutely fantastic,with almost all types of music,with maybe? the exception of some opera I listen to.

These headphones have a wonderful sound stage...
I'm not even going to mention the comfort issue-that's a no brainer.

Yes,I do miss the Lcd-2's rev1..if only I could get Audeze to reply to my e-mail????-that would be nice.

May 29, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #29 of 89
I have yet to hear a pair of senns that were not terminally boring.Mind you i have not heard the HD800's.
What i have heard were far from reference,and just not engaging,didn't seem to demand that i listened .
They tend to sound like a bad seat at a concert.Still it takes all sorts.
cool.gif

May 29, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #30 of 89
Quote:
I have yet to hear a pair of senns that were not terminally boring.Mind you i have not heard the HD800's.
What i have heard were far from reference,and just not engaging,didn't seem to demand that i listened .
They tend to sound like a bad seat at a concert.Still it takes all sorts.
cool.gif

Your list shows you to at least somewhat like Grados....in contrast, I'd concur Senns would be boring
biggrin.gif
  Nothing from Senn has ever had a truly "fun" (u/v) FR curve, and favors either linearity or boosted mids.  That just comes down to preference of how one likes to listen (and the optimum, of course, is own both!)

One thing with the 650's is that they change and adapt amazingly to changes in your source.   I've had my HD650s for many years, and they've moved with me to many different sources.   In their current setup they'd be almost unrecognizable from the setup they started with, and have come to life remarkably.  They aren't legendary for scalability for nothing!  It too had dropped them to being the "boring" or "relaxing" headphone after I got my HE-400s.  But after some tweaks (cables, tubes) HD650 is definitely the more involving one again. 

I happen to not be a fan of extremely "fun" cans. They end up losing my interest quickly.  So my version of "involving" will be different from someone who favors steeper FR curves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back