how good are the sennheiser hd650's??
May 28, 2012 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 89

spiderking31

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of sennheiser hd650's, and they claim that they're reference class headphones...but are they really? And are these one of the best headphones in existence? Please, let me know....thanks everyone! Any advice is definitely appreciated! Just to mention, I'm using them with a moon audio "blue dragon v3" headphone cable and an art accessories amp 4....any feed back is appreciated! Also, it's a 12 volt amp....

May 28, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #2 of 89
I've not heard too many much better when it comes to pure sound quality.  Although I think they have some major drawbacks-- namely lack of bass and treble extension.  The silver damping version I would consider reference class, it's very flat and smooth in its frequency response except for those rolloffs.

May 28, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 89
sounds bad if not driven properly--- making it "sing"
sounds gorgeous if you made it "sing" properly. they say using it balanced makes it sound great as well

May 28, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #4 of 89
I definitely appreciate the advice....I bought mine not even a year ago....last August to be exact....so I think I have the silver version....they sound very awesome too! I wanted to get a little dot mk3 headphone amp, but gotta wait....but thanks for the info!

May 28, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #5 of 89
You'd have to define "reference class" beyond marketing dribble first.

That said, the HD 650 (and the 600 and 580 before them) are truly amazing headphones - regardless of what else exists on the market. There's maybe a handful of relatively exotic or expensive units that can truly best them in one area or another, and maybe a somewhat larger handful of other units that are truly equals. They just do lots of things very right, and have very few draw-backs if you don't have an issue with their relatively smooth/laid-back sound and they fit you right (I've read some complaints about clamp force, which I've never personally understood, but I'm not doubting that some people may have issues).

I wouldn't worry too much about whether or not you have "the best" - enjoy the music and life goes on. :)

May 28, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #6 of 89
Just look at how long the HD 600 & HD 650 have been around.  That should tell you a little something about both of them. 

Sure there are some cans that are better, but that same thing can (or will shortly be) said of every one ever made.  Enjoy the great sound your HD 650 has to offer and don't worry if the Jones have something a bit better that, for some, are the new "reference" headphone--until a faster gun comes along.

May 28, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #7 of 89
The HD650 is such an involving headphone. I have the HD800 now and have owned the LCD-2 for some time. I miss my HD650 and would happily live with it if forced to "downgrade". A Bifrost>Crack>HD650 chain would be damn near unassailable in its price range.

May 28, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #8 of 89
I too have the HD800, which is a superior headphone to the HD650. I had the HD650 for years before I got the HD800 and I enjoyed them a lot. I suggest you demo the HD800. I think you will be impressed.

May 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #9 of 89
I do think that the sennheiser hd650's are the best headphones I've ever heard! I do think personally that they are reference quality cans...but that's just my opinion....I spoke to the tech line at sennheiser, and they did say they are reference headphones....does anyone agree??

May 28, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #14 of 89
To me. They are the perfect headphone. To me... Every time I think of grabbing an HE500 or an LCD2 (I'm very treble sensitive, so I feel those are my only two "upgrade" options) I throw on my 650s and ask, will I enjoy them more than I'm enjoying this right now? Answer is usually NO. I think I only want something new to get something new.
Everyone has likes and dislikes and if you are striving to have the 'Best" out there based on what other people think, you're going to need to drop some serious coin ($10K+) to impress the folks around here. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back