how does one burn in an amp?
Nov 27, 2007 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

bunsco

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all

just wanted to know what the best way to burn an amp in when not in portable use.

After an embarrassing episode with a set of batteries - my tomahawk is ready to go - only thing is my ipod classic is broke so back to apple it goes, so while im waiting for its return, i thought id attempt to burn in the amp.

would one plug it into a cd player (using a mini-mini) and just let it repeat continuously? and if so would hooking it up to a humble radio do the same job (saving electric etc).

also what rule of thumb is there to it - would one have to have the amp on 75% and above volume? - does the source volume have to be high or low?

any help well appreciated

thanx to all that can help.

Nov 28, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #2 of 17
now let's wait for the "anti-burn in " crowd to pitch in--the ones who don't believe there's such a thing as burn-in
wink.gif

Nov 28, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 17
I plugged mine into the lineout of a portable CDP and played it at a comfortable volume level on my headphones. THe CD contianed a mix of my fav tracks so I guess that should do the job nicely. I've heard about using static for running in headphones but not too sure about the effects of that on amps..

Nov 28, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bunsco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all

just wanted to know what the best way to burn an amp in when not in portable use.

After an embarrassing episode with a set of batteries - my tomahawk is ready to go - only thing is my ipod classic is broke so back to apple it goes, so while im waiting for its return, i thought id attempt to burn in the amp.

would one plug it into a cd player (using a mini-mini) and just let it repeat continuously? and if so would hooking it up to a humble radio do the same job (saving electric etc).

also what rule of thumb is there to it - would one have to have the amp on 75% and above volume? - does the source volume have to be high or low?

any help well appreciated

thanx to all that can help.

The CD player would be good. A computer would do fine, and usually has many more hours of music to play.
Have fun!!
wink.gif

Nov 28, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #5 of 17
and also when burning in an amp, do we need to plug in a set of headphone in order for the burn in to work? thanks in advance

Nov 28, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by raptor84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I plugged mine into the lineout of a portable CDP and played it at a comfortable volume level on my headphones...

Something like this will work nicely. Good luck.

Nov 28, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #8 of 17
Don't waste your time. Caps set within a few seconds of use. Burn-in is pretty much non-existent.

If you don't like the amp, return/sell it. It won't get better. You'll just go past the return period if you got it new.

I really enjoyed my Tomahawk. Just use it.

Nov 28, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #9 of 17
i just got a tomahawk, and was a bit unconvinved that it needed like 400 hours burn in, i decided to be simple and just do a couple of hours for kicks.

I downloaded a lot of burn in sounds from burninwave.com, and then just let em play through my ipod thru a interconnect into my tomahawk and out some random earphones

sounds alright to me at the moment and i use it everyday, wiht only about 5 hours burn in time

Nov 28, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #10 of 17
thanks for the info on burninwave.com , now i can burn my headphone faster
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't waste your time. Caps set within a few seconds of use. Burn-in is pretty much non-existent.

If you don't like the amp, return/sell it. It won't get better. You'll just go past the return period if you got it new.

I really enjoyed my Tomahawk. Just use it.

SEE? Toldya so
confused.gif

Nov 28, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #12 of 17
Select album, press play, adjust volume, enjoy.

Life is too short for the sort of thing you're worrying about. Its a tiny portable amp, even if amp burn in exists, and im not saying it does or does not, the difference it might or might not make in your situation is going to be so insignificant that there's far better things to be doing with your time than fretting about it.

Nov 28, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SEE? Toldya so
confused.gif

Ok, I'm sorry. I'll just let useless old-wives tails live on without opposition. How silly of me to think people might realize that there is absolutely nothing that supports the wonder that is burn-in.

Nov 28, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #14 of 17
I bought a Go-vibe 7 and when I listened with it the first time I was very disapointed. The sound was very cold and it could only play LOUD!. That's it. I did not like it.

I played it for a few weeks and the sound reproduce changed. It is now warmer and more detailled, and it delivers the subtilities contained in the music. This amp is now very interesting!!

Call it my adapting to the amp, or call it the amp adapting to it's use. I dunnot know! But I surely know that I noticed a change in it's amplification and "rendition" of music.

may the force be with you,Luke...
biggrin.gif

regards,

Nov 28, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #15 of 17
Just plug it in and start listening.

If it changes, it changes. If it stays the same, it stays the same.

I've never heard an amp sound bad at first listen and I've never heard one degrade over time. Unless it malfunctions, of course.

So go listen and don't worry about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back