How do you afford list
May 11, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #47 of 112
What a topic, I'm not sure what you're expecting.
It's not like people with good rigs have some hidden way of acquiring it that others don't know about ("if you just do X, then you too can get that $10k rig easily!).
Either people work and save up for it, or they happen to be rich through some means, or they have rich parents who are willing to share it.

Personally I try not to spend money on things I consider superfluous, I save up most money I get from gifts, etc, and I worked part time while going to college.
Also, reselling the old stuff before (or after) buying new things also helps a lot.

May 11, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #48 of 112
I guess my line of questioning was an informal way to determine or at least appreciate how many of the good folks here have other significant obligations like children etc that they also attend to and manage to purchase these items.

For all I know most everybody is filthy rich....or not....thats mostly what I'm looking at.

I think its a wonderful question to ascertain everybody's financial background.  It puts everything in perspective, if you will. 

May 11, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #50 of 112

Quote:
I knew it was from citizen kane! The guy looked familliar.  I couldn't quite recall though.  I disliked that film.  And found it exceedingly overhyped. 

Yeah, it's from Citizen Kane (it's a screw*ing sled!).. Can't say that I enjoyed the film either, but it's an applause for unchain's brilliant reference laden post that made me lol.

May 11, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #51 of 112
Have a second job during the weekends. This is where I get the funding.

May 11, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #52 of 112
I work on a farm and want to continue being a student, but I earn very little.  When I do get some tax-money back I've spent it on headphones instead of on other hobbies.

I am starting to learn that this perfection we are after is really psychological and does not need to cost much.  That's why it's good to be able to test out different equipment at all price-points before desiding to buy.

Music is a very good hobby, it's material obsession which becomes a problem and an addiction.

I was Very happy with my first Grado 60's, which introduced me to this hobby.  After that it has been all about trying new sounds, more and more expensive, but with diminishing gains in music enjoyment.

My last big purchace were Stax headphones, costing more than everything else I've tried combined...and you know what, I didn't enjoy them as much as my $100 ATH-AD700's with an X-Cans tube amp.

Does one keep selling old equipment to buy new, or stick with something that works and spend on others important things such as food, new music, books, or other hobbies?

I would propose creating a Headphone library, where you can "sign out" a new pair and then return it...no ownership or money just free technology.

Who is with me?

May 11, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #53 of 112
I work in the IT field and my wife is a trader in the financial sector. We have three kids, mortgage, etc. I started doing what Dan1son mentioned by buying small, selling it and then adding money to the next purchase. Before I purchase anything, I usually sell something to help offset the cost. This also helps to offset some guilt that is associated with having other financial/family obligations.

That being said, I am fortunate to work for a company that gives generous bonuses and usually set aside a small percentage to treat myself and the rest goes into savings, retirement, family expenses,etc. I do have a lot of expensive hobbies, but I also try to be responsible.

I always tell my wife that is we weren't married I would be totally irresponsible and blow my bonuses on Wilson X1's with VTL Siegfrieds
regular_smile .gif

May 12, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #54 of 112
Yeah, it's from Citizen Kane (it's a screw*ing sled!).. Can't say that I enjoyed the film either, but it's an applause for unchain's brilliant reference laden post that made me lol.

*takes a bow*

In reality, I'm a military contractor/field engineer, which is hard work and very long hours. On the side, I also I write freelance code, repair/design and build/troubleshoot computers, make organic body jewelry and buy things on craigslist and at thrift shops to resell as well as go to school full time.

I grew up with a "work hard, take care of business" work ethic instilled in me.

That said, I don't sleep a lot.

May 12, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #56 of 112
I'm a college student and I work internships during the summer and in a research position during the school year. I've also been saving almost everything since I was 9 and I have a couple of investments from dabbling in the stock market. I also bargain hunt and fix up and sell things in my spare time. This next year is going to be rough though so I'll probably have to sell a lot of my gear.

May 12, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #57 of 112
Seasonal hobbies.  Really.  I buy car parts in the winter, when most companies are pretty slow and are willing to drop prices a bit since they're not selling much.  Amazon Marketplace covers most of my books (except the occasional first edition or rare printing/import), and a new computer is an every-other-year deal.  I also sell most of the gear I have that I don't use to roll into new purchases.

As far as actual profession, I work in environmental and safety engineering, and I'm single - which is actually less financially feasible than being married, with only one source of income for everything from groceries to utilities to disposable "enjoyment" money.

May 12, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #58 of 112
A new computer every other year? Sorry, gotta call you out on this one.  Why would you do that at all? You can sufficiently upgrade a pc so that it lasts for at least 6 years and is still state of the art.

And they sell laptops that allow for upgrades.  See Alienware-and while they're expensive, you can do so at a cheaper cost than buying a new one every other year. 

May 12, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #59 of 112
Motherboard upgrades, chassis changes, etc.  Not expensive to build a nice rig every other year if you buy things at the right time.

Laptops - ugh.  I use one at work, and it stays at work.

Quote:
A new computer every other year? Sorry, gotta call you out on this one.  Why would you do that at all? You can sufficiently upgrade a pc so that it lasts for at least 6 years and is still state of the art.

And they sell laptops that allow for upgrades.  See Alienware-and while they're expensive, you can do so at a cheaper cost than buying a new one every other year. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back