How do i make the HD650 more neutral and less bassy?
Aug 19, 2010 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

HariBhushan

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys

I am looking to make my HD650 sound more neutral and more reference[ish] type without going with the HD600/HD800 approach. The reason is I find the HD650 treble perfect to my ears(but i wish it could be a little more warmer) but I want the bass to be toned down a bit because I already have another bassy headphone. 

What can i do head-fi? Get a re-cable ?  equipment is Woo Audio 3 and Musiland Monitor 02US.

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #6 of 33
Aug 19, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #7 of 33

Quote:
Hey guys

I am looking to make my HD650 sound more neutral and more reference[ish] type without going with the HD600/HD800 approach. The reason is I find the HD650 treble perfect to my ears(but i wish it could be a little more warmer) but I want the bass to be toned down a bit because I already have another bassy headphone. 

What can i do head-fi? Get a re-cable ?  equipment is Woo Audio 3 and Musiland Monitor 02US.

Have you thought about going to a solid state amp?  Tubes can be soft and poorly defined at the low end, giving you some bloom and the appearance of extra bass.  A good, powerful, solid state amp will tighten and clean up the lows.

I've tried different cables on a HD-650; the Cardas and the Blue Dragon.  They made no difference whatsoever.

Aug 19, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #9 of 33

Quote:
Umm ya go 600 sorry.

HD600's treble would probably remind me too much of the beyer dt990's.  So this is definitely a no-go for me.

Quote:
Have you thought about going to a solid state amp?  Tubes can be soft and poorly defined at the low end, giving you some bloom and the appearance of extra bass.  A good, powerful, solid state amp will tighten and clean up the lows.

I've tried different cables on a HD-650; the Cardas and the Blue Dragon.  They made no difference whatsoever.

thanks Uncle_Erik,  this is exactly the kind of information i might need.

I as well had thought of going with either a blue dragon, but you are saying that it doesn't help too much? I read that it cools down the bass and tightens everything up and makes them come to life.  There are some number of people who praise it, but I rather not want to spend $150 to know that it made very little difference. 

What separate warm solid state that isn't too bass oriented would you recommend on a budget of $350 or less. 

Aug 19, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #10 of 33
Blue Dragon is the bass maker, Silver Dragon the tamer.  And asking for a bassy amp that isn't bassy is just odd :wink:  990 and 600 share nothing in common by the way.  But its your money, so in SS find a HeadAmp Lite.

Aug 19, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #12 of 33

Quote:
Blue Dragon is the bass maker, Silver Dragon the tamer.

Isn't it the the way around? Silver Dragon = more detail, adds more bright prescence, cleans up, etc... Blue  for spot on neutrality and Black Dragon for bass improvement, better low-end and smoothness.

I was generally told this from Drew when i asked him a long time back, but I'm not 100% sure.

Aug 19, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #13 of 33

Quote:

HD600's treble would probably remind me too much of the beyer dt990's.  So this is definitely a no-go for me.

The HD600 treble is nothing like the DT990 actually.  Have you heard the HD600?  They do have a BIT more treble presence than the HD650, but they are not harsh in the least bit.  Their charm is the amazing way they are totally flat and extended, but not harsh at all.  I would give the HD600 a shot before trying different amps.  Better to find the right phone than try to fix the wrong one. 

And most cables or amps that will reduce/tighten the bass will also brighten the treble a lot.  That comes together I think. 

If you really won't try the HD600, the Gilmore Lite would be a good choice, or a DIY Dynalo, which there was one for sale in the FS forum recently.  Same amp.  Very clean sounding.

Aug 20, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #14 of 33

Quote:
What separate warm solid state that isn't too bass oriented would you recommend on a budget of $350 or less. 

In relation to the HD650 what you want doesn't make sense.  The HD650 that you want to "neutralise" more - means you want a neutral, or lean sounding amplifier.  Getting a "warmer" amp means you are going the opposite direction as the HD650 is already quite warm because of its full bass presence.

Because "warmth" is intrinsically related to full bass presence - I don't think there is such a thing as warm without a substantial bass level.

Aug 20, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #15 of 33
Different amplifier, source and/or cables.
Or simply part with it and get a pair with a sound signature closer to what you prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back