How do i make the HD650 more neutral and less bassy?
Aug 20, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #16 of 33

Quote:
Isn't it the the way around? Silver Dragon = more detail, adds more bright prescence, cleans up, etc... Blue  for spot on neutrality and Black Dragon for bass improvement, better low-end and smoothness.

I was generally told this from Drew when i asked him a long time back, but I'm not 100% sure.

I <3 the faux-synesthesia in cables. Silver is bright, copper is darker/more earthy, etc.

Aug 20, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #17 of 33
No, the Blue Dragon sounded exactly the same as the stock cable. So did the Cardas and the HD-600 stock cable. Threw them on the oscilloscope, too, and the wave forms were identical. The aftermarket cables were well made and looked nice. But it would be like expecting to change into someone else by putting on a different shirt.

I have found changes (measurable ones, too) by switching amps. Unless you get a very good tube amp (usually with stiff power and good output transformers), bass will get sloppy on the average OTL. Solid state is a better choice. A Gilmore Lite/Dynalo or M^3 would be great.

Aug 20, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #18 of 33
Remove the grills and apply Dynamat Xtreme in some strategic fashion.  You'll have to experiment to find what works best for you.  Quicker, easier, and cheaper than going through amplifiers.  Cables make too little of a difference, if at all.

Aug 20, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #19 of 33

Quote:
Hey guys

I am looking to make my HD650 sound more neutral and more reference[ish] type without going with the HD600/HD800 approach. The reason is I find the HD650 treble perfect to my ears(but i wish it could be a little more warmer) but I want the bass to be toned down a bit because I already have another bassy headphone. 

What can i do head-fi? Get a re-cable ?  equipment is Woo Audio 3 and Musiland Monitor 02US.

I'll tell you what you could do...you could trade me your 650's for my Beyer DT880's. Problem solved!

Aug 21, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #20 of 33
So many things involved and most have been mentioned. I have both the 650 and Woo 3 so here's a few thoughts: I found that combination a little too warm and wooly for my taste. I LOVE the Woo 3 with the Beyer 990/600, however. And I found MY preference by driving the 650 with the RSA Raptor. Given the many variations of personal preference and technical matchup issues, it really is just a matter of trying a few things, I think. Good luck!

Aug 22, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #21 of 33
How do you make a neutral can more neutral?  that just doesn't make sense.
L3000.gif

I dunno, buy the LCD2s!

Aug 22, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #22 of 33

Quote:
I've tried different cables on a HD-650; the Cardas and the Blue Dragon.  They made no difference whatsoever.

I know this has been hashed to death but I find this statement so patently untrue I simply can't let it go. There may be a difference in a person's preference regarding which cable to use but I have absolutely no problem telling my Cardas cable from the stock cable with my HD650s. I won't go into the DBT thing as it's not allowed here for some reason. Suffice to say if you can't hear it it doesn't mean others can't (and I'm not taking about a minor difference). Using the stock cable simply does not produce as full a sound as the Cardas, especially in the bottom end. I realize there are some who prefer a brighter sound like some of the silver and silver alloy cables tend to produce.  I prefer the Cardas because I hear it produce more of the smooth, natural sound of the HD650s. YMMV depending on your ears.

Aug 22, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #23 of 33

Quote:
No, the Blue Dragon sounded exactly the same as the stock cable. So did the Cardas and the HD-600 stock cable. Threw them on the oscilloscope, too, and the wave forms were identical. The aftermarket cables were well made and looked nice. But it would be like expecting to change into someone else by putting on a different shirt.

That wasn't my experience at all.  I definitely heard a difference with the HD600 and HD650.  I didn't like the Blue Dragon on my HD600 because it was too bright and it seemed to ruin the tone.  And since I was expecting it to sound good, I don't know how that could be psycho sematic (however you spell that).  There was definitely a difference, but I preferred the 15 dollar HD600 stock cable to the 300 dollar fancy thick cable.

Aug 22, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #24 of 33
as for de-foaming, I don't think it's a good idea for the OP.  It just elevates treble, it doesn't affect bass response.  The bass goes right through that thin little foam.  I didn't like it on either the HD650 or HD600, I felt it elevated the treble in a weird way, and it seemed obvious to me that they were designed with the foams in mind.  That's how I've always felt about de-foaming.  I know Head-fi loves it's treble, but more treble isn't always a good thing IMO

Aug 22, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #26 of 33

Quote:
as for de-foaming, I don't think it's a good idea for the OP.  It just elevates treble, it doesn't affect bass response.  The bass goes right through that thin little foam.  I didn't like it on either the HD650 or HD600, I felt it elevated the treble in a weird way, and it seemed obvious to me that they were designed with the foams in mind.  That's how I've always felt about de-foaming.  I know Head-fi loves it's treble, but more treble isn't always a good thing IMO

x2

Aug 22, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #27 of 33

Quote:

x3

Aug 22, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #28 of 33

Quote:

Even tho I have no way of telling if this poster has actual experience with foaming/de-foaming matter, It's time for me to

bandwagon_553.jpg

and go with

x4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back