How do I get most out of my Sennheiser HD 600s? I'm a noob HELP!
Aug 11, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #16 of 44
The 600's are not listenable from an iPhone 4 unamped. Maybe in the quietest of quiet settings they would be OK. I own both and have tried. A small tease, at best. Get an amp for the 600's or get the Denon's.

Aug 12, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #19 of 44

Quote:
I don't have them yet so maybe you can steer me in a better direction. From what I've learned, thy can't reach potential without an amp. I'll mostly be using them for music on my iPhone 4 and iMac that I will be buying in the near future.

I do like rap and dubstep (as well as alternative/psychedelic rock, and electronica) so richer bass is preferred, but I still don't want the bass to drown out everything else. I was looking at the Beats by Dre's, but my research on the net has told me they're way overpriced and mainly for the name and the fashion. But they do have better bass and I was wondering if full potential could be reached without an amp?

Anyway, if I get the HD 600s, what kind of amp should I get? I don't really wanna spend much over $400 total if I don't have to. Thanks.
No need, i think the Matrix M($200?) amp would get it done the HD600 dose not scale that well on amp. although $400 is pretty good budget, you might wanna consider get ur self a DAC with optical in, or a little more money for a Cambridge audio DACMAGIC.  I think you can forget about using em directly on ur iphone, or on the go. 

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #21 of 44
Dude, you gotta stop bumping. If your post isn't getting that much attention, it's because it's already been answered hundreds of times before.

Anyhow, because I actually want to be productive in your thread - I wouldn't recommend the HD-600s for you at all.

If you want detail-retaining, bass driven headphones that are good for on the go and even at home on your system, I would recommend the DT770 instead. It's well under your budget and will suit your music tastes much much more. 

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #22 of 44
^

Sorry, I misinterpreted your post a bit.

I have the HD-600s myself and find them too neutral and bloated to be any fun. The HD-600 is a lovely headphone to sleep and relax to but most of the time I listen to music to pump me up. Anyways, I have the E9/E7 combo and all it really does to the HD-600 is make it louder and sound more powerful. It doesn't do anything to change the HD-600's sound signature so if you are happy with how the HD-600s sound and just want something to make them louder and produce sound effortlessly, I would recommend going with the e7/e9 combo.

However compared to the Beyerdynamic DT990s and the E9, the HD-600s get totally trumped when I want to listen to something fun like alternative rock/dubsteb.

But I have a vintage stereo amplifier that powers both of these headphones very well and has the ability to EQ the HD-600s without any distortion. With the HD-600s EQed, they become tremendously better than my DT990s. I turn up the bass and sharpen up the treble and all of the sudden the HD-600 becomes a really fun headphone. I hear a deep sub-bass and a detailed treble that sounds a lot better than the DT990s, but at the same time retains the midrange detail you would expect. A lot of Headfiers are against this type of changing of sound signature, it's almost like a betrayal of the work that was put into making the HD-600s perfectly neutral. But to my ears they just sound that much better. The best part is that whenever I need to have neutrality, I can always bump down the EQ on the amplifier.

However I don't think many other headphone amps will give you the same results.

Long story short, the HD-600s may not suit your musical needs and you might want to consider a different headphone entirely.

Aug 12, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #23 of 44
So how would I be playing my iPhone music through the amplifier? How does it hook up?

And just another random question if someone could answer...a new plasma Panasonic TV that I just bought doesn't have a headphone jack for some stupid reason...how would I go about listening to my video games through the TV on these headphones then?

Aug 12, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #24 of 44

Quote:
So how would I be playing my iPhone music through the amplifier? How does it hook up?

And just another random question if someone could answer...a new plasma Panasonic TV that I just bought doesn't have a headphone jack for some stupid reason...how would I go about listening to my video games through the TV on these headphones then?

No way! How does a TV not have a headphone jack? 

To hook up an amp, just think of where the sound comes from, and follow the signal. When you play games, the video and audio usually gets played on the TV screen and speakers, right? But it's at the console that both things come from--so keep the console connected to the TV, but take the audio cables and plug them into the amp. Now your game audio is controlled by your amp, not your TV.

Ditto the iPhone. On an iPhone the sound originates from the chips inside, then gets passed to the headphone jack....you could either connect an amp to the headphone jack (meaning you'll have to adjust volume on both the phone AND amp), or get a cable that plugs into the dock connector at the bottom of the iPhone. Lots of cheap connectors available, no need to blow a fortune on one.

Aug 14, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #25 of 44

Quote:

There were plenty portable amp to choose from, something as cheep as E7 or the better ones run around $300.

Aug 14, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #26 of 44
Your TV's not connected to some kind of stereo?

Quote:

Aug 14, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #28 of 44
Yea I'm not an audio fiend....not yet anyway.

So I decided to get the HD 600s and I'll probably get that portable E7 amp. So I think there is only one input for the source on the E7, so how would I use my 360 with the amplifier? I need to plug in two Red/White cables. How's this gonna work?

Aug 14, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #29 of 44
^No.

360 has "RCA" type cables, 2 of them for audio. E7 has 1/8" (aka 3.5mm) jack--like the kind you see for regular earphone cables, headphone jacks on computers, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back