How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #2,536 of 3,657
And green seems to be FR with a 20 ohm amp(amp+possible resistor+cable usually count as amp). See green as a somewhat extreme version of the EQ you could feel when moving to a cable or DAP of higher impedance.

If the cable counts as part of the amp section, and different cables have different resistance - which affects how easy an iem is to drive, wouldn't it follow that cables affect the end product; sound? Though it's been stated by many they don't.

Edit: I guess it just affects volume levels.

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #2,537 of 3,657
I find a glass or two of really good Merlot is an effective way to elevate mood and enhance psycho-acoustic mighty power!

I was amazed to read how alcohol affects the inner ear, staying there for several days longer than the rest of the body, it gave me incentive to drastically reduce my intake as over lockdown I was drinking way too much and it was impacting on my listening experience.

May 12, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #2,538 of 3,657
If the cable counts as part of the amp section, and different cables have different resistance - which affects how easy an iem is to drive, wouldn't it follow that cables affect the end product; sound? Though it's been stated by many they don't.
If one IEM cable is 20 ohm more than the other and it's not on purpose, kill it with fire!
For the rest, anything impacts anything else, what should probably be relevant is the magnitude of impact. On those extreme cases like the andro, you’ll get like a dB of variation from maybe half an ohm increase at the ”amp”, assuming a very low impedance amp+cable from the start. Obviouly this isn't nothing and audibility can rapidly become real even between some cables, as IEM cables can easily have half an ohm or even 1ohm between one another.
But I can take most of my IEMs and get nothing audible even with several ohm increase beside overal gain change at some point. Some IEMs show basically the same FR with 50 extra ohm as ”amp”.

The usual rule of thumb is to follow impedance bridging. Have amps near zero ohm and drivers not near zero. The at least 1/8 ratio is often brought up. If your IEM goes as low as 4 ohm, then the total source impedance should be 0.5ohm or less. With that logic you shouldn’t find yourself in a situation where one cable has 0.5 ohm or more than the previous cable as the total source impedance should never reach 0.5ohm when using those IEMs.
Here we're discussing IEM that basically won't allow the user to have at least the 1/8 ratio for impedance. It’s not too far fetched to blame those IEMs for being out of spec instead of using them to prove that cables matter.

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #2,539 of 3,657

Edit: I guess it just affects volume levels.
Line level signal cables do not matter, because the impedance levels are so high the impedance of the cable itself is insignificant (e.g RCA output impedance = 120 Ω, RCA cable impedance = 0.8 Ω and input impedance 47 kΩ and everything is very resistive).

Speaker and headphone cables CAN matter, if/because the impedance levels are low AND the load is not usually very resistive or constant at all frequencies. That's why you have electrical requirements for the cable, but it doesn't take expensive snake oil cables to fulfil those requirements.

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 3:22 AM Post #2,540 of 3,657
You just need the proper cable for the purpose. That doesn't mean expensive.

May 14, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #2,541 of 3,657
Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #2,542 of 3,657
All my cables are made of 99.99% pure unobtanium. I'm saving up for cables that are 99.9999%. I hear that is night and day and even my wife can hear the difference!

May 14, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #2,543 of 3,657
All my cables are made of 99.99% pure unobtanium. I'm saving up for cables that are 99.9999%. I hear that is night and day and even my wife can hear the difference!
but they HAVE to be assembled in outer space or on the moon for best sound quality.

I hear a night and day difference with moon-assembled cables compared to earth-assembled. The music is more vibrant, nuanced, lifelike, nuanced...with increased resolution, dynamics and sound-stage.

I have also found that the sound from my speakers is better if they are sitting on stands made from unobtanium. Night and day difference.

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #2,545 of 3,657
I believed you up to the last sentence, most women have more sense than to worry about such minor differences :smile:

Well unless it's lingerie :thinking: :shrug:
And shoes and purses.

May 15, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #2,546 of 3,657
I believed you up to the last sentence, most women have more sense than to worry about such minor differences :smile:

Well unless it's lingerie :thinking: :shrug:
purses

May 18, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #2,549 of 3,657
Instead of upgrading cables, I found this more useful:
FECEBED3-0E7D-48A5-80DD-B9C734EA4F5B.png

May 18, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #2,550 of 3,657
That's a pretty extreme correction! Do you really use that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back