How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 5, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #2,236 of 3,657
That isn't a different sounding cable. That is a cable that is picking up RF interference. If there was no interference, the cable would sound fine. The solution is to either remove the source of interference, or to shield the cable from it. The interference is the problem. The same goes for ground loops. Where I live building codes have pretty much eliminated these kinds of problems, but if you live in the shadow of an AM radio station tower, you have a refrigerator plugged into the same power strip as your stereo, or your house was built many years ago, you might run into this problem.

When I was a kid, I ran into problems like this all the time, but I lived in a house built in the 1920s with ancient two prong plugs in the wall, I had a funky Garrard turntable that buzzed like a son of a gun, and my dad was a ham radio operator and ran his antenna right over the roof above my bedroom.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #2,237 of 3,657
You simply cannot convince people they don't make a difference. Already had a user here on the forum stating they heard a cable make changes to the frequency response (more presence, more mid bass and things like that ) but that these changes cannot be measured in the frequency response. Where can you even start to convince somebody like that?

Also understand that there is a huge vested intrest for head-fi to make sure people believe in these things. Its what makes them money. There is a reason you cannot discuss this on the rest of the forum. Even things as simple as advising to listen to cables in a double blind test to figure out which one sounds the best is not allowed as advise. Let me repeat that: telling somebody to actually listen to a product is advise that is not allowed on head-fi.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #2,239 of 3,657
You simply cannot convince people they don't make a difference. Already had a user here on the forum stating the heard a cable make changes to the frequency response (more presence, more mid bass and things like that ) but that these changes cannot be measured in the frequency response. Where can you even start to convince somebody like that?

At least that person described things that could be measured. There are Moon-Audio tier people who will say a cable made the music more "dancing", "liquid", etc.

Apr 14, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #2,240 of 3,657
You simply cannot convince people they don't make a difference. Already had a user here on the forum stating they heard a cable make changes to the frequency response (more presence, more mid bass and things like that ) but that these changes cannot be measured in the frequency response. Where can you even start to convince somebody like that?

Also understand that there is a huge vested intrest for head-fi to make sure people believe in these things. Its what makes them sponsorship money. There is a reason you cannot discuss this on the rest of the forum. Even things as simple as advising to listen to cables in a double blind test to figure out which one sounds the best is not allowed as advise. Let me repeat that: telling somebody to actually listen to a product is advise that is not allowed on head-fi.
Not all tube distortion from tube amps show up on frequency response measurements. Are you suggesting that people who like tube amps and delusional because they prefer tube sound over solid state?

I realize you are stuck in your position that cables make no difference. So, there is nothing anyone can do to convince you otherwise. Perhaps you should try it some time. You might learn something new.

Meanwhile, I just bought 3 upgrade cables because they make a difference to the sound of my IEMs. Even Crinacle, the king of IEM measurements asserts that cables make a difference to sound. I'll take his experience listening to over 833 IEMs in different configurations over an anonymous person post on a message board. More importantly, I trust my own ears over anything else.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #2,241 of 3,657
Cables are the worst thing in this hobby imo. The amount of wasted time effort and money is stunning.
The worst part about it, is that the money spend on these cables could have been spend on stuff that actually matters and they would see major gains in fidelity.

At least that person described things that could be measured. There are Moon-Audio tier people who will say a cable made the music more "dancing", "liquid", etc.
No, his point was that it could not be measured. I mean heard changes in the frequency response, but you wouldn't be able to see those changes in the frequency response if you would measure them. How does that even work?

Not all tube distortion from tube amps show up on frequency response measurements. Are you suggesting that people who like tube amps and delusional because they prefer tube sound over solid state?

I realize you are stuck in your position that cables make no difference. So, there is nothing anyone can do to convince you otherwise. Perhaps you should try it some time. You might learn something new.

Meanwhile, I just bought 3 upgrade cables because they make a difference to the sound of my IEMs. Even Crinacle, the king of IEM measurements asserts that cables make a difference to sound. I'll take his experience listening to over 833 IEMs in different configurations over an anonymous person post on a message board. More importantly, I trust my own ears over anything else.
If you say there is more mid-bass and treble. then you are definitely talking about frequency response. And even if he was talking about effects of THD...the measurements also showed no change in THD.

And I already have tried multiple cables. I swap them out all the time depending on where I am in the house. Got a cable of the right length at all the places I listen to music. Some originals, some cheap, some more expensive. No difference.

Can you link me to some of Crinacle's measurements of these differences? Curious to see his testing methodology.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #2,242 of 3,657
Most cables ARE a wash, but it’s true IEM cables alter the sound.

Apr 14, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #2,243 of 3,657
The worst part about it, is that the money spend on these cables could have been spend on stuff that actually matters and they would see major gains in fidelity.

I highly doubt this. Most people spend money on cables when they already have spent major dollars on everything else.

Apr 14, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #2,244 of 3,657
Cables are the worst thing in this hobby imo. The amount of wasted time effort and money is stunning.
The worst thing in this hobby are people who are so sure they know something is true that they try to tell others that their subjective preferences are somehow flawed.

Apr 14, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #2,246 of 3,657
The worst thing in this hobby are people who are so sure they know something is true that they try to tell others that their subjective preferences are somehow flawed.
Nobody is telling you that you don't hear a difference. I am 100% convinced you hear a difference in cables. We only differ in opinion about why you are hearing these differences. Can I ask what kind of education you have had?

Apr 14, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #2,247 of 3,657
Most cables ARE a wash, but it’s true IEM cables alter the sound.
Shh. Let these wannabe scientists think everyone else is delusional. What's most amazing is that their ignorance could be easily cured if they just listened to the cables themselves rather than simply trying to tell everyone else that their minds are playing tricks on them.

Apr 14, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #2,250 of 3,657

Yes they are flawed. This is the one forum where you are required to post proof. Your emotional response is not going to work here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back