How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #2,221 of 3,657
I'd pay about 10 bux for this and even then it's much much too thick for live stage use or on the go mobile use.

I'm happy to pay 500 bucks. So if you see it at that price or less pick it up and pm me pls. I'll even pay you the difference (so you get 490 if you get it for 10 bucks).

Feb 6, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #2,222 of 3,657
I'm happy to pay 500 bucks. So if you see it at that price or less pick it up and pm me pls. I'll even pay you the difference (so you get 490 if you get it for 10 bucks).

I'm probably being stupid here but I actually wonder why you would pay so much?

Feb 6, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #2,223 of 3,657
I'm probably being stupid here but I actually wonder why you would pay so much?

Looks pretty. 🤣

(And I've seen effect audio cables before they're pretty well built. Almost definitely not close to 500 in raw material value but workmanship is worth something. Plus, I could probably sell it for more than 500...)

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #2,225 of 3,657
The worst is the expensive USB cables I see now and then. I mean, it's digital. Digital signals in a usb cable of ordinary length will not have a BER (bit error rate) high enough to corrupt our precious audio data, regardless of what the cable is made of. Even then, reducing the length of the cable is the first thing to do.
I use short interconnects between my dac and amp, but I otherwise don't think about cables.

Feb 6, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #2,226 of 3,657
You might be able to take some wires to a hair salon and have them braid them nicely like that for about #10

Mar 4, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #2,227 of 3,657
I know that audio cables DO NOT make a difference.
But it is very interesting that my $20 RCA cable sounds better than my $3 RCA cable.
Always.
I sometimes changing them and the result is always the same.
This perseverance is very remarkable on the part of the cable, isn't it?

And I do not care about expensive prices and brands. I am not biased.
I bought a $1000 amplifier and it sounded like crap.
My $80 headphone is way better than my famous $220 headphone.
I bought an hyped, ultra well measured headphone amp and it sounded like crap.

Mar 4, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #2,228 of 3,657
I know that audio cables DO NOT make a difference.
But it is very interesting that my $20 RCA cable sounds better than my $3 RCA cable.
Always.
I sometimes changing them and the result is always the same.
This perseverance is very remarkable on the part of the cable, isn't it?

And I do not care about expensive prices and brands. I am not biased.
I bought a $1000 amplifier and it sounded like crap.
My $80 headphone is way better than my famous $220 headphone.
I bought an hyped, ultra well measured headphone amp and it sounded like crap.
Audio cables can certainly make a difference. They are a critical component in the audio chain. Audio cables that measure similarly should not contribute to audible characteristics that can be identified through hearing.

Mar 4, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #2,229 of 3,657
Everyone is biased. It's unusual for someone to realize the extent of their bias though. Most bias is instinctual and unconscious.

Mar 4, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #2,230 of 3,657
Everyone is biased. It's unusual for someone to realize the extent of their bias though. Most bias is instinctual and unconscious.
The best way to remove bias is do a lot of drugs. Works for me. I am one of the only reviewers that forgets which IEM or cable is plugged into whatever I forgot was plugged into what. Just give me the music. If it makes me happy and tap my toes and nod my head, its a winner.

** I mix rock and roll and other forms of music that require people that are not sober.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #2,231 of 3,657
The internet and social media in particular are hothouses where bias flourishes and blooms!

Mar 4, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #2,232 of 3,657
That is for damn sure. I do a lot of metal and heavier forms of metal and noise based music. It's hilarious playing this type of music on typical audiophile sets... 90% fail, only a few can actually play more dense compressed forms of music without cutting your head off at a high volume.
When I want to hear if something is tuned well and can follow the Fletcher München volume / freq curve, I turn my volume up to 90-100db and more sometimes.
When people say they are medium volume listeners I know the set in question has not been vetted well.

Mar 4, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #2,233 of 3,657
Up to a certain point the cost does make a difference. Mainly in the connectors and how consistently they fit and stay in place rather than the cable's ability to transport signal.
The difference is probably there up to maybe 15-20$, because quality control costs money.

Mar 4, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #2,234 of 3,657
For RCA, I usually buy standard Amazon Basics. For some reason, I have more issues with the fancy gold end ones shorting out more than the regular plastic ones. I think sometimes it can grab on too hard and make it hard to pull a plug without damaging it. HDMI cables can be temperamental about kinks, but that doesn't relate to price as much as it does the stiffness of the cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back