How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #751 of 3,657
Jun 13, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #754 of 3,657
The shielding,conduction,thickness and core wire all definitely make a difference in the quality of a cable.The easiest and method to prove difference in cables is first try a crappy mini to mini cable included with your portable amp.Fiio,iBasso.or whatever.Then try a high quality OFC cable and the difference is obvious.But this varies with different types of cables.Sometimes it's subtle and sometimes it's obvious.Though i only believe this with audio cables.Video?I don't think so.But i do think it's so ridiculous how much some cables cost.

Jul 7, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #758 of 3,657
Jul 9, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #759 of 3,657

Quote:

i believe cables can change the sonic characteristics wrt to LCR, but "cable lifters" - only if you blow the glass and add a hookah upgrade with some sweet smoke 
smile.gif

Jul 9, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #760 of 3,657
Electrons do not travel at any kind of speed. They do not exist in every place between point A and B; they simply appear at point B. This is one reason why we DO NOT understand electrons. But the bottom line is, the cord hardly means anything. The reason a cord usually seems to come in two wires is because it has to form a circuit, or a complete loop. If not, then the electrons could not travel. As long as that works alright, all you need to find is the cord that has the amount of resistance (ohms) you want and you have nothing to fear or worry about. 

No cord is deficient in comparison to any other cord. It's all about the resistance in ohms and the voltage output of the source (iPod, amp, computer, CD player etc.)

Jul 9, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #761 of 3,657
Nirvana1000, can you tell the difference if you don't know what you're listening to? You have to make sure your personal beliefs and values don't interfere with what you're hearing. I do agree that good insulation, etc. will make a cable more durable. Whether it makes a sonic difference has yet to be demonstrated with listening tests or test equipment. When (if?) that happens, I'll start taking testimonials seriously.

Jul 9, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #762 of 3,657

Quote:
Nirvana1000, can you tell the difference if you don't know what you're listening to? You have to make sure your personal beliefs and values don't interfere with what you're hearing. I do agree that good insulation, etc. will make a cable more durable. Whether it makes a sonic difference has yet to be demonstrated with listening tests or test equipment. When (if?) that happens, I'll start taking testimonials seriously.

I can tell the difference more so with mini cables.Copper,silver and gold cores effect the sound quality in a subtle way.Headphone cables if any difference is very subtle.My experience with headphone cables is probably mostly placebo as the cable is only supplying the current and the signal to the drivers.And again depends on how the cable is constructed.I just bought an Audioquest mini to RCA cable.And i also have a Monster and Belkin of the same type connections.Audioquest being the shortest.I did a comparison with all three and to tell the truth i couldn't tell the difference in SQ.But i think the Audioquest has the lowest RF interference.IMO the best way to change the sound of a headphone is the housing,dampening and internal wires.And i think the OP has a valid point.

Jul 9, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #763 of 3,657

Quote:

One of the only things that article says DOES effect the SQ in wires is corrosion.  So know I want to know, we've got all these people with expensive UE and JH clear-silver cables that turn green within a few weeks to a few months.  The 'official' word from JH is that this is just aesthetic and will not change the SQ.  But as the author of the website above says at one point in discussing this, "it does not inspire confidence."

anyone?

Jul 9, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #765 of 3,657
Hey Kevin, you coming to the meet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back