How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #736 of 3,657
Quote:
If you won't come here to prove me wrong, why then would I go there to prove you wrong?

Because science, tests and common sense suggests that differences exist but are too small for our hearing to be able to discern a difference.

May 23, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #737 of 3,657
I have a couple of friends here that can tell the difference and they do make it to the meets up here. We also have get-togethers with a little BBQ or food and listen to gear. I'm always making cables seem like, one way or another! I'm pretty hands on when it comes to cables.

Quote:
The reason why I say that is wrong is that there is often wildly varying descriptions of what a cable sounds like. If cables did sound different that difference would be consistently identifiable and agreed upon. So how can you know what it sounds like. I made two cables and sent one to a friend. I refused to tell him what I thought of mine and when he came to describe the alleged sound he came out with all sorts of descriptives. None were present in my kit. He was listening to himself and his kit, not the cable. 

May 23, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #738 of 3,657
Please do your own DBT with your friends BIG POPPA and then start a thread to publish the results. 

May 23, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #739 of 3,657

Quote:

Having an economics and marketing degree allows me to override your understanding of free markets.  You could if you want listen to my setup if you ever come to Australia - what I truly wanted was for you to come down as the mediator of a DBT carried out by me, in my turf under my terms.

May 23, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #741 of 3,657
I can say blind in some cases because some cables are the same except for the metal in the plug. They did not know if it was gold or rhodium. We all could tell the difference between the Furutech FI-15 plugs. It is not that hard guys, REALLY. We all have gear that cables make a difference in sound. We prefer non portable gear to audition critically. We all have reference music. Generally speaking we are very methodical listening to gear.

May 23, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #742 of 3,657

Quote:
Having an economics and marketing degree allows me to override your understanding of free markets.  You could if you want listen to my setup if you ever come to Australia - what I truly wanted was for you to come down as the mediator of a DBT carried out by me, in my turf under my terms.

Your first assumption is that you can override my understanding by supposedly having more qualifications than me. You might have, you might not.

I presume you referred to this quote;

"I lose money because more manufacturers will jump into the market segment dramatically increasing the competition of the newly enlarged marketplace - margins get squeezed and I will eventually make less profit per unit to remain competitive.  Unable to compete with the marketing and distribution logistics of these large conglemerates (which will jump into the cable bandwagon) I will eventually go under.  After which the price goes back to the same levels (this is audiophilia, lets not forget)"

You may lose out in the newly enhanced market, but some companies will survive and prosper, just not your one for some reason. Chances are that the prices will fluctuate, but exchange rates, interest rates and competition will all have an effect. Your example is just that, an example of what might happen, not what what will. 

May 23, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #743 of 3,657

Quote:
I can say blind in some cases because some cables are the same except for the metal in the plug. They did not know if it was gold or rhodium. We all could tell the difference between the Furutech FI-15 plugs. It is not that hard guys, REALLY. We all have gear that cables make a difference in sound. We prefer non portable gear to audition critically. We all have reference music. Generally speaking we are very methodical listening to gear.

Do any of these cables show differences in the amplitude of any particular frequency range ?

May 23, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #744 of 3,657
Hey Nick,
We were not measuring. To us it was not a science project. Some simple observations though. Rhodium sound was tall and detailed and Gold was wide lush and laid back. Prefer the Rhodium with tube gear and Gold with solid state. Gold had more bass. With simple observations like this it does serve like a compass to put you in the right direction in finding out what you like with your gear and what you don't. This is how I got to my opinions on cables trying different stuff on gear with a few buddies. Is it a perfect system on testing? No, but it works for me on my audio journey.

Quote:
Do any of these cables show differences in the amplitude of any particular frequency range ?

May 23, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #746 of 3,657
May 23, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #747 of 3,657

Quote:
Your first assumption is that you can override my understanding by supposedly having more qualifications than me. You might have, you might not.

I presume you referred to this quote;

"I lose money because more manufacturers will jump into the market segment dramatically increasing the competition of the newly enlarged marketplace - margins get squeezed and I will eventually make less profit per unit to remain competitive.  Unable to compete with the marketing and distribution logistics of these large conglemerates (which will jump into the cable bandwagon) I will eventually go under.  After which the price goes back to the same levels (this is audiophilia, lets not forget)"

You make assumptions which have no economic substance to them.  
You may lose out in the newly enhanced market, but some companies will survive and prosper, just not your one for some reason. Chances are that the prices will fluctuate, but exchange rates, interest rates and competition will all have an effect. Your example is just that, an example of what might happen, not what what will. 

May 24, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #749 of 3,657
Someone make a table of resistance, capacitance, and inductance attributes of wires, one dimension diameter of wire, the other length, and the other material type. When we have that done we can move on to the shape and orientation of the wire, insulation material type and thickness, shape/braiding of wire, temperature of the wire, and pureness of the metal.

Am I making my point clear yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back