How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #421 of 3,657
It is certainly not what they claim. There is no quantum tunneling happening - that is an absolute lie. I can choose to be as civil as I want, and frankly I'm tired of all the baseless claims you're spouting. I am not required to take what you preach as gospel, and certainly your anecdotal evidence is far from convincing me to believe any general principle you wish to harp on me or the rest of the forum. I tire of it.

I don't have to listen to equipment to apply common sense to what they claim. That is the whole purpose of becoming educated, to make inferences and extrapolate from what you have. You have basically ignored my whole argument and turtled back to your standard argument. It's tiresome.

You should read the thread that Tyll started a few lines down. He has FR graphs of headphones placed on different positions in the head. There are significant variations in low and high frequency, but not so much in the mids. This is a huge clue.

For every phenomenon you claim to hear I can give you a rational explanation, but you simply choose not to listen and instead roll around the forums spouting your standard mantra. It's about time you stop.

May 2, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #422 of 3,657
crumb.jpg

May 2, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #424 of 3,657
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My posts (opinions) are from experience.

yeah, like Alice, yours must be based on experience in Wonderland :

"I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see."

or

"I don't believe there's an atom of meaning in it."

or

"Let me see: four times five is twelve, and four times six is thirteen, and four times seven is - oh dear! I shall never get to twenty at that rate! However, the Multiplication Table doesn't signify: let's try Geography. London is the capital of Paris, and Paris is the capital of Rome, and Rome..."

or

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there. "

and finally

If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

May 2, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #426 of 3,657
Quote:

Originally Posted by waterlogic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, like Alice, yours must be based on experience in Wonderland :

"I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see."

or

"I don't believe there's an atom of meaning in it."

or

"Let me see: four times five is twelve, and four times six is thirteen, and four times seven is - oh dear! I shall never get to twenty at that rate! However, the Multiplication Table doesn't signify: let's try Geography. London is the capital of Paris, and Paris is the capital of Rome, and Rome..."

or

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there. "

and finally

If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

Added you to my ignore list.

May 2, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #427 of 3,657
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Added you to my ignore list.

Before I speak, I have something important to say :

Thank you for the priviledge !

May 2, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #431 of 3,657
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnFerrier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And Head-Fi conducted a decent one as well Blind Cable Test RESULTS!

Great link, now saved and ready for a long read. At least this thread has linked to some evidence, so leaving those who like to argue to just get on with it.

May 2, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #432 of 3,657
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No you didn't actually:: So you just argued a battery amp would drive just as well as one with an external supply...

Look at my choice of HeadRoom amps for comparing the specs! (And somewhere I was mentioning «home amps».) Of course battery-powered amps can have power limitations. But they (or some of them) can nevertheless drive high-impedance headphones without a (sonic) problem if you renounce excessive or high volumes. I'm speaking of own experience. And I definitely expect the HeadRoom Micro Amp to power an HD 650 with ease, even with battery power. Also, the sonic result will be comparable independent of power supply (battery or mains supply), maybe even in favor of the battery. Of course power reserve wil be limited in the case of battery power, but that doesn't mean it will clip at normal volumes. If someone's listening habits lead to clipping, it's simply the wrong amp or the wrong power. But that's easy to find out and to fix.

Quote:

Which ones are you saying I should think are a rip-off?

Everything above the $349 Micro Amp.

Quote:

Okay, let's question the terminology of a well made amp. Many would argue the Grado RA1 is "well made" in terms of build quality. Yet in reality it's a desktop amp with a portable core stuck in it. It would clip easily given a demanding pair of cans, yet has a cost of $400 or so and is a "desktop" amp.

I don't see the point with your clipping hysteria. Personally I would be most interested in the sonic characteristic of an amp. As mentioned, with my listening habits I haven't met a clipping amp.

Quote:

Actually I have on certain amp - albeit portable. Still, the RA1 shows for example why it isn't safe to assume.

We were talking of HeadRoom amps, which you explicitly refused to give credit in terms of clipping, but had no problems to give credit in terms of hissing based on hearsay.

Quote:

Given, if both amps are close enough there shouldn't be a difference. That means they have roughly the same measurements including ability to drive certain loads, etc. When one is severely deficient in comparison to one it's being compared against it will sound different - and by deficient I mean measurable issues obviously.

Such as HeadRoom's line-up? Yet you seem to defend it. Allegedly because of lacking specs. What I miss from you is a clear statement that to pay more than a minimum for electronics is a waste of money. You could still include the advice to pay attention to clipping resistance.
biggrin.gif

Well, my point is that a great majority of solid-state amps has indeed measuring specs (= measuring flaws) way below officially accepted hearing thresholds. Moreover they can't be distinguished in DBTs, at least that's what I get from the posts here. And that's what I find fascinating. The number of people who think that cables make no difference is relatively large. But the number of people who think that electronics components make no difference (roughly spoken) is drastically smaller – they're particularly concentrated in the science forum. Which is understandable: People who pay high attention to measuring specs are more likely to call for blind tests in cases where the specs say that there «shouldn't» be audible differences. Consequentially these tests reveal that «there are no real differences». So they decide to not trust their ears anymore.

May 2, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #433 of 3,657
Quote:

Well, my point is that a great majority of solid-state amps has indeed measuring specs (= measuring flaws) way below officially accepted hearing thresholds. Moreover they can't be distinguished in DBTs, at least that's what I get from the posts here. And that's what I find fascinating. The number of people who think that cables make no difference is relatively large. But the number of people who think that electronics components make no difference (roughly spoken) is drastically smaller – they're particularly concentrated in the science forum. Which is understandable: People who pay high attention to measuring specs are more likely to call for blind tests in cases where the specs say that there «shouldn't» be audible differences. Consequentially these tests reveal that «there are no real differences». So they decide to not trust their ears anymore.

You've quite nicely delineated a double standard that I've long ago realized.

May 2, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #434 of 3,657
Quote:

Shike, the way you argue everything you just may not have a fun time with this hobby? Let go and enjoy.

Quote:

I understand that but dissecting someones thread over and over come on?

No similar comment for Jazz then? Come on!

Their discussion style is fine with me, btw. However, your biases are showing.

May 2, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #435 of 3,657
I'm still waiting for a cable that makes Coldplay sound like Radiohead. Maybe then there'd be hope for humanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back