How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 1, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #406 of 3,657
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnFerrier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, two of the eight HeadRoom amplifiers have clipping indicators and are powered with four AAA batteries. This, of course, means 3 V rails. The clipping indicators "not only tells you when you’ve got a hot signal, it also tells you when your batteries are low." The Airhead and Bithead amps will clip when played loudly enough (performance level rock music and orchestra crescendos).

HeadRoom Total AirHead Owner's Manual

Funny!
tongue.gif
Yeah: low batteries and high listening levels can make a battery-driven HeadRoom amp clip.
bigsmile_face.gif

May 1, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #407 of 3,657
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny!
tongue.gif
Yeah: low batteries and high listening levels can make a battery-driven HeadRoom amp clip.
bigsmile_face.gif

Or using headphones that require move voltage than available at certain frequencies.

May 1, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #408 of 3,657
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? I question whether you actually know what clipping sounds like.

Yeah, sure. I see you questioning if I know what clipping sound like. Do you know how it sounds like?

Quote:

[/i]If it's a true 300ohms then I'd have little reason to doubt HeadRoom's portable line even. The problem is some headphones are more inductive than others. What about their portables and a HD650 with an impedance curve that can go much higher than 300? Same for the HD800. Portable amps are limited due to design contraints in terms of max voltage and battery life will be sacrificed for increases in current.[/i]

If you look back you may notice that I have explicitly excluded portable amps, because they'e special cases (due to limited voltage, thus limited output power at high impedances).

Quote:

I never considered them a rip-off, I just prefer to have full measurements? I do consider them a bit overpriced though - but the xfeed circuit may be worth it to some.

Why don't you consider them a rip-off? I think you should. If their chapest desktop amp measures and sounds the same as their flagship (which you consider likely yourself), where's the justification for the higher-priced amps? Even the lower models offer crossfeed.

Quote:

Clipping is one of the largest factors...

No, not at all. With well-made amps clipping has no meaning in practice. I wonder how you come to this conclusion. From own experience with your amps?

Quote:

...though I'd like to see measurements regarding multiple types of distortion beyond THD. They're also missing specs for things like SNR, which I'm honestly surprised they don't list. I haven't heard anyone complain of hiss though and haven't heard any complaint of it so it's probably safe to (yes, assume) that it's relatively high.

And I guess you haven't heard complaints about clipping, but it's still not safe.
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Maybe you just don't know what clipping sounds like?

Who knows! But be warned: I've played electric guitar and bass guitar!
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:

Hopefully this final post ends the matter. It's not a conspiracy or anything of the sort, I don't believe in such things. I just won't speak on the capability of an amp without having numbers to back it up.

That's accepted. But you keep on beating a dead horse with your clipping theory, which is so far from reality.

Quote:

Next you're going to tell me a cmoy could drive AKG K1000's with no distortion
rolleyes.gif

No, don't worry!
wink.gif

I wonder what this amp excursion is worth for if we keep on debating about HeadRoom amps and their hypothetical measuring and sonic differences without realizing the clue of the matter: harmonic distortion in solid-state amps is very low, and other measuring criteria such as frequency response are also close to perfection. So perfect that according to conservative standards the differences between them are inaudible. That makes them sort of comparable to cables. As you would say yourself: well-made cables and well-made amps all sound the same. (Well, that's not exactly my own attitude.)

May 2, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #409 of 3,657
I can certainly confirm that not all amps sound the same, I have a homemade solid state amplifier originally designed to power a set of Quad ELS57's, the chap who made it sold it to me as he was building a replacement using the same components but mounted where possible on a pcb and not hard wired, we found when comparing the two that a clear difference in sound was noted - same components remember!

We put this down to the newer amp actually being more efficient in the fact it had shorter signal paths etc, but somehow the older deisgn sounded more musical, perhaps not quite as analytical, neither was "better" but they were certainly different!

May 2, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #411 of 3,657
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, sure. I see you questioning if I know what clipping sound like. Do you know how it sounds like?

Yes, very much so. I used to power some very inductive speakers with a home theater receiver starting out. Won't ever make that mistake again - it sounded like some frequencies had the life sucked out of them among other things.

Quote:

If you look back you may notice that I have explicitly excluded portable amps, because they'e special cases (due to limited voltage, thus limited output power at high impedances).

No you didn't actually::

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazz
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shike
Probably. If I had a set of HD650s and tried them with a portable Headroom amp than no, it probably wouldn't sound the same (almost guaranteed clipping just considering design limitations)

You're assuming something? And I disagree: I think as long as you avoid exessive volume levels, the amp with battery drive will sound about the same as with external power supply.

So you just argued a battery amp would drive just as well as one with an external supply (which is a misnomer since not all desktops have external, but nonetheless).

Quote:

Why don't you consider them a rip-off? I think you should. If their chapest desktop amp measures and sounds the same as their flagship (which you consider likely yourself), where's the justification for the higher-priced amps? Even the lower models offer crossfeed.

Which ones are you saying I should think are a rip-off? They're generally sometimes a bit more or a bit less than others, but tend to be in-line with the market (which is unfortunate that the market has gotten in such a shape, but I digress).

Quote:

No, not at all. With well-made amps clipping has no meaning in practice. I wonder how you come to this conclusion. From own experience with your amps?

Okay, let's question the terminology of a well made amp. Many would argue the Grado RA1 is "well made" in terms of build quality. Yet in reality it's a desktop amp with a portable core stuck in it. It would clip easily given a demanding pair of cans, yet has a cost of $400 or so and is a "desktop" amp.

Quote:

And I guess you haven't heard complaints about clipping, but it's still not safe.
beerchug.gif

Actually I have on certain amp - albeit portable. Still, the RA1 shows for example why it isn't safe to assume.

Quote:

That's accepted. But you keep on beating a dead horse with your clipping theory, which is so far from reality.

See above.

Quote:

I wonder what this amp excursion is worth for if we keep on debating about HeadRoom amps and their hypothetical measuring and sonic differences without realizing the clue of the matter: harmonic distortion in solid-state amps is very low, and other measuring criteria such as frequency response are also close to perfection. So perfect that according to conservative standards the differences between them are inaudible. That makes them sort of comparable to cables. As you would say yourself: well-made cables and well-made amps all sound the same. (Well, that's not exactly my own attitude.)

I'm just not going to assume an amp is capable because it should be, because unfortunately that sort of mentality just leads to getting burned. I'd say there's tons of headphone amps that measure practically identical, and if tested properly would sound the same. I sure as heck though wouldn't make such a claim for an RA1 and say an M^3 with a pair of HD800 cans.

Given, if both amps are close enough there shouldn't be a difference. That means they have roughly the same measurements including ability to drive certain loads, etc. When one is severely deficient in comparison to one it's being compared against it will sound different - and by deficient I mean measurable issues obviously.

May 2, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #412 of 3,657
Shike, the way you argue everything you just may not have a fun time with this hobby? Let go and enjoy.

May 2, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #413 of 3,657
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shike, the way you argue everything you just may not have a fun time with this hobby? Let go and enjoy.

There's a reason debate teams exist in high schools and colleges. Arguing is fun.
biggrin.gif

You may win or lose, but the fun is in the process. Especially if you can be witty while doing it. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that just about each and every one of the repeat posters in this thread (and that includes you) secretly enjoy trying to prove your side of the debate.
wink.gif

May 2, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #414 of 3,657
I understand that but dissecting someones thread over and over come on? My posts (opinions) are from experience.

May 2, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #415 of 3,657
An amp's frequency response is usually measured with a constant load on it. The real frequency response is the total output measured when the signal is also passed through headphones - which will have varying responses to frequencies.

A clue can be found in how it responds to square waves, that is, how quickly an amp can trace discontinuous signals or signals that sharply change with time. You'll find that not all amps are the same. Check amb for oscilloscope screenshots.

Quote:

"Spending tons of money on pieces of copper is for suckers"

I've been wanting to say that for a long time, you pathetic flamebaiter.

Just for fun I read up on the so called Quantum tunneling process on their website. My credentials are 2nd and 3rd year education in quantum mechanics with applications to materials and chemistry. Here we go:

Quote:

Quantum Tunneling is a process that changes the way a cable conducts signal at the subatomic level, affecting the entire cable assembly: connectors (RCA, XLR, spade, or banana), solder joints, dielectric, and signal & ground conductors are all transformed and integrated as a single unit.

This is a big ****ing lie, first of all. Integrated as a single unit? Let's not even joke around here; common sense tells us that a signal and ground conductor working as a single unit just blows the mind.

Second of all, quantum tunneling involves the wave function bypassing a energy barrier that it normally would never be able to cross. This does not apply to signals passing through a conductor. In a metal, the electron orbitals of each individual atom link up to create energy bands, incredibly dense energy states (since energy is quantized) where an electron simply flows through from atom to atom.

That tesla coil is NOT quantum tunneling. That is merely a voltage difference that exceeds the breakdown strength of air.

May 2, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #416 of 3,657
Quote:

This is the science section. The sections for "special" people who "hear" differences in cables is better found in most other places in Head-Fi.

And if you don't find enough science here, bring it on.

May 2, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #417 of 3,657
Quote:

Originally Posted by 883dave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As this is a science forum...

Could those people refering to ABX test's, double blind test's, rigorous test's...etc

Please provide links to these tests

And Head-Fi conducted a decent one as well Blind Cable Test RESULTS!

May 2, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #418 of 3,657
Quote:

Don't make me quantum tunnel you!
tongue.gif

May 2, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #419 of 3,657
Quantum tunneling essentially is what happens when an electron runs into an

insulator.

You could try cutting your cables in half and placing a disk of dielectric angstroms in thickness in between, or perhaps you could try holding them that far apart (an angstrom is 100 picometers, which is 0.1 nm). Then you'll hear quantum tunneling.

Well, it might have to be thicker. To a rough approximate amps put out anywhere from 0-15 or more volts, so electrons will have that many eV of energy, and you'll have to tune your thickness appropriately. Bottom line: quantum tunneling in context of conductors is total bull****.

May 2, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #420 of 3,657
If you haven't tried the Synergistic Research gear you have no idea what it is? Really? Until then please be civil? Good stuff to add to your rig. It makes everything sound better. That is what it does. Simply, just makes everything sound better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back