How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #2,731 of 3,657
Human mind's most important task is conflict resolution and avoidance when possible. We try to simplify the situation and reach a conclusion as soon as possible, as 'in the jungle' conflicts keeps us preoccupied and slows us down while running away from danger. Education is what should help us face the conflicts and endure it while searching for a better solution.

For anyone that is not prepared to feel the discomfort of conflicts, the shortest decisions come to rescue and we are back to our comfort zone. Bias, prejudices, even pseudoscience gives us the shortest path to our comfort zone. Especially if someone is not competent enough to take the not-understandable direction, it might even become scary and highly uncomfortable. As most of the people function this way, this helps us also to belong to a pack.

So a conspiracy theory or a plain wrong thing that can easily be proved wrong by scratching the surface, gives us the same result, as long as we don't experience the discomfort of a conflict. Money has always been the shortest path. As long as most of the population can buy out the next answer, it is highly unlikely that they will face the conflict, especially if they are not trained for it.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #2,732 of 3,657
It makes me think about recording techniques from a historical perspective but why would it make me think about cables?

G
Because he was exclusively used Mogami cables. It is crystal clear and precise like a very few records... :L3000:

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #2,733 of 3,657
Because he was exclusively used Mogami cables.
Ah, I see the confusion. Mogami do make overpriced cables aimed at the audiophile market but they also make studio cables and these are not overpriced, in fact they’re very competitively priced, just a few bucks a metre. I’ve got some myself.

All the top studios use cable in this price range, Van Damme, Klotz, Mogami, Canare or whatever. Some of these companies also make expensive audiophile cables but that’s not what we use in commercial recording studios! This is why, when listening to a recording, we never think about cables.

G

Sep 1, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #2,734 of 3,657
Ah, I see the confusion. Mogami do make overpriced cables aimed at the audiophile market but they also make studio cables and these are not overpriced, in fact they’re very competitively priced, just a few bucks a metre. I’ve got some myself.

All the top studios use cable in this price range, Van Damme, Klotz, Mogami, Canare or whatever. Some of these companies also make expensive audiophile cables but that’s not what we use in commercial recording studios! This is why, when listening to a recording, we never think about cables.

G
But we should 😉

Sep 1, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #2,736 of 3,657
Sep 1, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #2,737 of 3,657
Because it is useful.
There are literally hundreds of things that are useful. The mics, how and where they’re placed, the pre-amp type and settings, the calibration of the tape machine, the editing, all the different mixing and processing and countless things about the performance itself. However, of all these numerous useful things, cable is not one of them!

There are better and far, far more great recordings done at Abbey Road, Air, CTS, Capitol, Olympic and countless other top studios and they all use just standard studio cable. Some, like Abbey Road, have a deal with one company (Van Damme) to supply studio cable while others just use a combination of the manufacturers I listed before depending on convenience and best price at the time, because there’s no difference.

G

Sep 1, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #2,738 of 3,657
There are literally hundreds of things that are useful. The mics, how and where they’re placed, the pre-amp type and settings, the calibration of the tape machine, the editing, all the different mixing and processing and countless things about the performance itself. However, of all these numerous useful things, cable is not one of them!

There are better and far, far more great recordings done at Abbey Road, Air, CTS, Capitol, Olympic and countless other top studios and they all use just standard studio cable. Some, like Abbey Road, have a deal with one company (Van Damme) to supply studio cable while others just use a combination of the manufacturers I listed before depending on convenience and best price at the time, because there’s no difference.

G
Yes.

And cables are a full part of the equation. 😉

Sep 1, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #2,739 of 3,657
And cables are a full part of the equation.
No, they’re not even the tiniest part of the equation, let alone a full part. The mics and everything else I mentioned are part of the equation, the cables are not, they make no difference.

G

Sep 1, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #2,740 of 3,657
Cables make big difference in sound and i found it out when i first used vovox instrument and microphone cables

now i am looking ti upgrade my in ear monitors cable but i am not very familiar which brand i should buy… i see people saying about effect audio ares s and pw no5 or no 10

anyone can give me some advice??

Sep 1, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #2,741 of 3,657
Sep 1, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #2,742 of 3,657
Sure, if they are broken or the wrong specification for the job, otherwise they make no difference in sound.

Yes, ignore audiophile marketing and either actually measure the performance or perform a controlled (blind/double blind) test!

G
I made plenty of blind test to proof to a friend of my who couldnt hear the difference at my microphone vovox cable.. and everytime i knew which cable was.. he finaly admit that i got better ears and hearing skills than him.

Sep 1, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #2,743 of 3,657
I made plenty of blind test to proof to a friend of my who couldnt hear the difference at my microphone vovox cable.. and everytime i knew which cable was..
Again: Sure, if the cable you were comparing it with was broken or the wrong specification for the job.

G

Sep 1, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #2,745 of 3,657
Brand new klotz microphone cable vs vovox sonorus direct.. nothing was broken or wrong
Even a brand new cable can be faulty, although very rarely. The only other possibility is a fault with your test methodology.

G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back