How are the Beats Pro, Detox and Studios?
Nov 5, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #106 of 150

Quote:
What? No I wasn't being sarcastic, I really wasn't sure whether it runs on Unix or Linux. I've never dealt with either of those OS before.

Whoops my bad. 
redface.gif

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #108 of 150

Quote:
The software is a conglomeration of three FREE programs Free BDSM as the "bare bones" to the OS, G-nome is the meat to it. G-nome is really what makes the apple OS special, it's a rather complex set of codes that are efficient at holding a system together with minimum redundancy. This is also Memory efficient so the computer does have more available RAM to use when on. Cairo Dock is the the GUI or skin. Apple does tweak these programs to work a bit differently and make them their own but it's possible to create an exact functional and running replica of the apple OS with these programs.  As the for the "rotting" windows is so prone to, yea its really annoying but a simple back-up and reformat is easy enough and can be done by anybody, were as to my knowledge you must have an apple engineer reformat a MAC product still.
Maybe I should try to install Gentoo*I hope some one get's this joke*

Also I was reading further up about the Bose 501 system. I found one at a local thrift store!!! It did sound decent. They wanted like $150 for it simply for the fact it has the words BOSE stamped on it. I also found some rather old Pioneer floor speakers. Vintage from the 70's with 5 Speakers, 1 sub 2 mid's and 2 tweeters. Anyone heard of these?

What was the model number? But aren't 5-ways notoriously bad?

Nov 6, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #109 of 150

Quote:
Whitecrow: so, how much computing would one have to know, in order to stitch those programs together on top of Unix (which OS X is based on, right?)...?
I trust you see where I'm going with this. If OS X is a ripoff because it can be recreated for free, but the recreation requires skills that the general public (myself included) don't have, then it perhaps it's not a ripoff to them. Additionally, even if it's not that difficult to learn how to do it, one must account for available time and inclination--I've got a day job, so I don't have or want to set aside time to learn how to setup the software of a computer. For eg, if I were to build a Windows gaming rig right now, I wouldn't even assemble it myself, I'd just pay a store to do it for me.

OS X is based on Unix and if I'm not mistaken so is Free BDSM. Stitching these programs together isn't that hard as FreeBDSM is meant to work with another third party distro*G-nome or another*. Ciro Dock is just the apple like interface, just the looks aspect of it. The apple OS does have it's own unique programing but these programs provide the same type of operating system, Use the same or similar programs, have the same interface. The apple OS is not a rip off, it's just kind of a rip they charge so much money for it injunction with finicky hardware when it can be created or a mirrored version of it can be created on any system. Also delving into linux, I have never really liked it, using WINE with it make it eh okay to use but other than that I don't really find  a reason to run linux, unless I feel the urge to try and hack into a government computer and get caught because I would have no idea what I was doing.
Setting up a computer is easy, build it. Start it up, format it, tweak it*requires some know how and maybe an hour* I set up my cousins linux build...two summers ago if i remember. I found a few programs that helped with compatibility*free bird, distro hopper* and it pretty much works it's self. I also have a day job and would like to say this isn't hard to learn, people just try to make it sound complicated to seem smart. I'm not a computer science major just an enthusiast with research and a few classes under his belt.

Quote:
OSX isn't a rip off. It's $25 compared to Windows and is basically a good looking Linux with awesome software compatibility.

but it's not linux its unix......and apples software compatibility is a little better than linux. Apples towers or MAC books  I  know that certain flash plug-ins will not work, as well as certain video and music codex. I'm not sure if this has been fixed but to my knowledge it couldn't recognize some older flash codes, and I believe...well obviously .WMV. but I believe is was .ogi and.ogg...not sure about the .ogi but I know my teachers MAC book pro wouldn't load any .ogg files.
I'm not trying to say if you have a mac sell it, I'm just saying that apple charges way to much for what they are selling.

Alright, we should get back onto topic.
Who's going to take one for the team and but the Detox Beats to compare them to the Pro's?

I'm saddened that no neckbeards browse this thread and saw my gento quip.

Nov 6, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #110 of 150

Quote:
What was the model number? But aren't 5-ways notoriously bad?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1970s-PIONEER-SANSUI-STYLE-AS-330-SONICS-SPEAKERS-PAIR-/270787594929?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3f0c32cab1
These

Nov 6, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #112 of 150
All I know is if you are looking into a really good laptop, get a MacBook Pro or Sager. Dhell is a nightmare and POS from 3 years personal experience. I had to call customer support on average once a month. Same with Alienware... POS. (brother's experience... died within a year). I would never, ever get Dhell again. HPs are meh (few friends have them, half of them are garbage and need to be called for customer support constantly). I've had my MBP for 8 months now and have had ZERO problems with it. I don't see how OS X is "laughable"... I think Windows is more of a candidate for that. You can have all the awesome specs on paper, but that doesn't mean you'll end up with a good laptop. Real life case that applied for my pos XPS and my brothers 17" alienware. 

Nov 6, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #113 of 150

Quote:
All I know is if you are looking into a really good laptop, get a MacBook Pro or Sager. Dhell is a nightmare and POS from 3 years personal experience. I had to call customer support on average once a month. Same with Alienware... POS. (brother's experience... died within a year). I would never, ever get Dhell again. HPs are meh (few friends have them, half of them are garbage and need to be called for customer support constantly). I've had my MBP for 8 months now and have had ZERO problems with it. I don't see how OS X is "laughable"... I think Windows is more of a candidate for that. You can have all the awesome specs on paper, but that doesn't mean you'll end up with a good laptop. Real life case that applied for my pos XPS and my brothers 17" alienware. 

Sir, you are off topic.

Nov 6, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #114 of 150
Anyways, my local Best Buy is discounting the Detox to the regular Pro price. I wonder why.

Nov 6, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #116 of 150
Nov 7, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #117 of 150
Just going to answer OP's question:

Beyond audiophile snobbishness and pedantry and pride and whatnot, the Beats in any iteration are a marketing ploy. I would know. I just got what is ostensibly an authentic Detox from an uncle. Guy has a Cambridge Audio -> 12AX7+KT88 Duntonic -> JBL floorstanding rig, so I thought he would know better. It's the thought that counts though.

Let me assure you that the Detox is a lumbering piece of overhyped marketing trash that in my opinion, tangentially misses the mark at which one could find it possible to sue for misrepresentation. Out of my laptop (it has a decently clean Conexant integrated soundcard - the Beats deserve nothing more for a source), testing it with 24/96 recordings of Mozart's Violin Concerto No.4 performed by Marianne Thorsen and the last movement of Beethoven's Symphony No.9 under the Berlin Philharmoniker and Claudio Abbado, I found cans that could not even hold a candle to the M50's, which I hated. Seriously, for that price, I pine for a top-class closed headphone such as the AT woodies, Thunderpants or even the Z1000 and SRH940. The mids would recessed, as soulless as the marketing behind it, with highs that besmirch the purity of the violin concerto aforementioned. Soundstage would be obviously larger than stock earbuds to the uninitiated due to the inordinate amount of backwaves and echos from a casing designed to look as pretentious and ridiculous as possible. The paddings are thick, but are obviously pleather - unacceptable for the price. My father was shocked at the quality of the Beats too. Guy knows his hi-fi (he thrashed everything short of a HD800 in terms of resolution), and believed my ranting afterwards.

tl;dr I gave them to my brother.

I would also kill for the Z1000 in exchange for the Detox LNIB. All documentation present. I am sure some Headfiers would be tempted....

Nov 7, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #118 of 150

Quote:
Just going to answer OP's question:

Beyond audiophile snobbishness and pedantry and pride and whatnot, the Beats in any iteration are a marketing ploy. I would know. I just got what is ostensibly an authentic Detox from an uncle. Guy has a Cambridge Audio -> 12AX7+KT88 Duntonic -> JBL floorstanding rig, so I thought he would know better. It's the thought that counts though.

Let me assure you that the Detox is a lumbering piece of overhyped marketing trash that in my opinion, tangentially misses the mark at which one could find it possible to sue for misrepresentation. Out of my laptop (it has a decently clean Conexant integrated soundcard - the Beats deserve nothing more for a source), testing it with 24/96 recordings of Mozart's Violin Concerto No.4 performed by Marianne Thorsen and the last movement of Beethoven's Symphony No.9 under the Berlin Philharmoniker and Claudio Abbado, I found cans that could not even hold a candle to the M50's, which I hated. Seriously, for that price, I pine for a top-class closed headphone such as the AT woodies, Thunderpants or even the Z1000 and SRH940. The mids would recessed, as soulless as the marketing behind it, with highs that besmirch the purity of the violin concerto aforementioned. Soundstage would be obviously larger than stock earbuds to the uninitiated due to the inordinate amount of backwaves and echos from a casing designed to look as pretentious and ridiculous as possible. The paddings are thick, but are obviously pleather - unacceptable for the price. My father was shocked at the quality of the Beats too. Guy knows his hi-fi (he thrashed everything short of a HD800 in terms of resolution), and believed my ranting afterwards.

tl;dr I gave them to my brother.

I would also kill for the Z1000 in exchange for the Detox LNIB. All documentation present. I am sure some Headfiers would be tempted....

Snobbish you say. Clearly the beats were not made for orchestral music. All you really proved was that you don'k like the sound signature. I for example have never been able to like the srh line,  absolutely hate the sound, my opinion. Of course they are a marketing ploy, come on they charge 100 dollars more for just color. They are a fashion statement headphone, leave them alone. 

Nov 7, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #120 of 150
I actually think the Beats Pro aren't too bad. I like them. I mostly listen to hip hop/techno and they aren't too bad. Listening to other stuff is a pain though. I currently have the Ultrasone Pro 900 and Sennheiser hd 25-1 ii and I don't think the Pro's are bad at all. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back