Home-Made IEMs
May 4, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #15,256 of 15,988
I mean literally, the Aliexpress listings for the Huayunxin H015 literally has planar in the title and some third party parts sites have DDs listed as planar. It's really annoying.

I'm not going to be pedantic about whether or not the Kinera SPD is a planar driver, but the seeaudio Rinko is not planar, haha, imagine an isobaric ortho driver, hello stuck drivers.

May 4, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #15,257 of 15,988
I want to try HODVTEC 31618 with ED89 .

I have tried the sonion 33 with ED89 , like it , but the graphics on hodvtec look more promising. ( less mids and lil more bass
Im i wrong?

Also trying to figure it out how to make vocals more pleasant.

May 5, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #15,258 of 15,988
I mean literally, the Aliexpress listings for the Huayunxin H015 literally has planar in the title and some third party parts sites have DDs listed as planar. It's really annoying.

I'm not going to be pedantic about whether or not the Kinera SPD is a planar driver, but the seeaudio Rinko is not planar, haha, imagine an isobaric ortho driver, hello stuck drivers.
Are you new to AliExpress? XD they will a use the listing as an advertisement you always get confusing titles no matter what the product (audio or anything else)
How is Seek's Audio planar not a planar? Care to elaborate? I only saw an unsustained claim by some reviewer and so far it spread like wild fire, but actually knowing the driver myself (I have it at my lab) and having seen pictures from the manufacturer it definitely is constructed like a planar driver (i.e. diaphragm with coil on it suspended between two magnets)
Also maybe I'm missing something but could you please explain how is ortho and isobaric different from planar? Like I was curious and tried to find out and all google searches pointed towards that these are all the same, just different naming based on who manufactured the driver/headphone.

Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #15,259 of 15,988
Are you new to AliExpress? XD they will a use the listing as an advertisement you always get confusing titles no matter what the product (audio or anything else)
How is Seek's Audio planar not a planar? Care to elaborate? I only saw an unsustained claim by some reviewer and so far it spread like wild fire, but actually knowing the driver myself (I have it at my lab) and having seen pictures from the manufacturer it definitely is constructed like a planar driver (i.e. diaphragm with coil on it suspended between two magnets)
Also maybe I'm missing something but could you please explain how is ortho and isobaric different from planar? Like I was curious and tried to find out and all google searches pointed towards that these are all the same, just different naming based on who manufactured the driver/headphone.

I think it's just that the construction is somewhere in between the two, or perhaps more similar to a dynamic driver than a planar. It looks like to me a flat diaphragm, with the coil of a dynamic, but a magnet layout of a planar.

May 5, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #15,260 of 15,988
I think it's just that the construction is somewhere in between the two, or perhaps more similar to a dynamic driver than a planar. It looks like to me a flat diaphragm, with the coil of a dynamic, but a magnet layout of a planar.
But the coil is flat on the diaphragm, the only difference is that the coil is not printed on the diaphragm, which I assume is that you can only miniaturize so much before

EDIT: A hybrid design would be the Planamic driver which is very much different
s7XDSSCNTeaCHaePYs3O_new_planar_dynamic_driver.jpg
IicqfXq.jpg

In this graphic "new planar" is the Planamic.
How is Rinko's planar different from the schematic shown above for traditional driver - seriously.

Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #15,261 of 15,988
But the coil is flat on the diaphragm, the only difference is that the coil is not printed on the diaphragm, which I assume is that you can only miniaturize so much before

How is Rinko's planar different from the schematic shown above - seriously.
Rinko even has double sided magnets and from the pictures it doesn't look like it has a surround. I admit that I did think it looked like a dynamic on first glance because of the round coil but it is a planar for sure. Since you have the driver, what do you think of the sound quality?

May 5, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #15,262 of 15,988
Rinko even has double sided magnets and from the pictures it doesn't look like it has a surround. I admit that I did think it looked like a dynamic on first glance because of the round coil but it is a planar for sure. Since you have the driver, what do you think of the sound quality?
Extension-wise it is the very best driver I've seen, nothing comes close to it, not RAU, not any of the ESTs or any other planars I've tested. Period.
Sound-wise I still haven't figured it out, it doesn't seem to mix well with anything.
The DD+planar unit I haven't really tested because it is a plug and play solution for mass manufacturing but looking at the graphs of the IEMs with this assembly it could be using an adjusted or tuned version of the bare 6mm planar, because the highs levels look reasonable.

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #15,263 of 15,988
Extension-wise it is the very best driver I've seen, nothing comes close to it, not RAU, not any of the ESTs or any other planars I've tested. Period.
Sound-wise I still haven't figured it out, it doesn't seem to mix well with anything.
The DD+planar unit I haven't really tested because it is a plug and play solution for mass manufacturing but looking at the graphs of the IEMs with this assembly it could be using an adjusted or tuned version of the bare 6mm planar, because the highs levels look reasonable.
Interesting, better than the RAU. For a pure BA design, what BA has the best upper extension and BA that has the best low end?

May 6, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #15,264 of 15,988
So, I just completed a 4 driver configuration using the ferrofluid 38 paired with a 2389D.... HOLY SMOKES!!! I can't reveal the circuit.... allI I can say is they pair incredibly well together with the proper tuning. I will try to post a graph if anyone is interested. lol

I need to make this for my friend. He asked me for 4 drivers iems , but im not sure how to crossover it ?
Can you give me idea:)

May 7, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #15,265 of 15,988

s7XDSSCNTeaCHaePYs3O_new_planar_dynamic_driver.jpgIicqfXq.jpg
How is Rinko's planar different from the schematic shown above for traditional driver - seriously.

Yes, but when normal people take it apart and don't see bar magnets they go nuts lol

May 8, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #15,266 of 15,988
If I had to make up a definition, orthodynamic/planar drivers are electromagnetically driven transducers have traces on a freestanding, common plane. We're used to see bar magnets but IEM drivers are tiny and single poles work but at some point they're really just low profile DDs.

May 8, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #15,267 of 15,988
That is good info to know. Thank you sir! I'll have to play with my light setup and see if I can create a little distance or less reflectivity. It's a traditional nail light with four 9-watt tubes, not the newer LED version, so it does produce some pretty intense light. And that may change my timing durations for the initial cure for shell wall thickness for the various Fotoplast colors. So far I've been working with red, blue, black and have even mixed the red and blue for purple. It's about time to order more, most of them are about 6 months or more past expiration. Don't know how critical the expiration date is, still seems to be working.
I recently found a 7 year old bottle lp/h with some left overs. Still the same as when I just bought it. Regarding to the led curing lights… they are more intens than the traditional ones with the tube bulbs. I have a sun x11 wit 66 leds and curing goes very very fast.
And as far as colors go…. You can very well use drops of uv nail polish and mix to colour your product. Works very well. Or use the nail color powders. But then you will see al the small dots inside your shell. Just the more you darken your mix the longer time it needs to cure. However to judge the thickness of your shell, just take them out of the light and look from the top down how thick the outside walls are. This you’ll be able to see very well.

May 8, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #15,268 of 15,988
If I had to make up a definition, orthodynamic/planar drivers are electromagnetically driven transducers have traces on a freestanding, common plane. We're used to see bar magnets but IEM drivers are tiny and single poles work but at some point they're really just low profile DDs.

Yeah I think you explained it better than me. It just felt more similar to a DD than a planar to me for some reason.

May 8, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #15,269 of 15,988
how do i keep the canal from becoming entirely solid when hardening the fotoplast? can i poke it with tweezers to check or will that mess up the shell?
I wonder too. I don’t think it is possible. You’ll always have to drill the holes do the tubes. Which is a very delicate matter. Only use drills no grinder tools. The grinder will easily break your shell. I have even tried putting slightly large tubing into the negative mall ear canal before pooring the lp/h or fotoplast into it and then after curing tried pulling them out. That did not realy work better then just drilling holes. But some people have such small ear canals that it makes this very very difficult without breaking stuff. Also you need to drill from both sides sometimes because you can’t drill around a bend and only in straight lines. But drilling from the inside out is also no fun. Many times you just can’t see what you’re doing and hope just for the best. Sometimes you just need more than one attempt to get it right. Just takes a lot of time. I find that part mostly the most difficult. Getting the ear canals right and getting the tubes through. I am open for more tips and tricks.

May 8, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #15,270 of 15,988
i ran out of dental wax so i will definitly try that if i can get some
I use egger laquer for silicon. Which is especially made for this purpose. So you don’t need to heat any wax. Dip. Hope it will stick at the right places. The Egger you just brush on and it will dry pretty fast.

Attachments

• 10F43C6D-9DCC-41A7-9033-87FBCBE46D15.jpeg
    10F43C6D-9DCC-41A7-9033-87FBCBE46D15.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back