Home-Made IEMs
Dec 18, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #10,651 of 16,036
I have a very basic question. For those who wire Zobel straight to the wires. Sometime I do suspect the way that I’m doing it does it even make the electric connection.

All my wires are pre-cut to 3cm long, I don’t want to cut my wire into two. So what I did is to use the solder and try to burn the insulator away and hopefully pre-tint the wire at the same time. But it’s taking too long to do that and sometime I don’t even know did it burn away the insulator away or just soldering coating on top.

How would you guys do it to ensure there is electric connections when making Zobel.

Dec 18, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #10,655 of 16,036
Prototyping of Final4

Sonion 38D1XJ
Series,
zobel,
taped vent

Resistor to taste(increase to reduce bass)

Knowles DWFK
Forced series
Zobel
10ohms resistor
Resistor to taste( to decrease fullrange)

No cross, no dampers

10mm tube
2.5mm ID for DWFK
0.5mm ID for woofer

Now for extra notice for the builders

When DWFK and sonion will be fullranged, you will see the bass boost from mids and the loss of overall bass strength.

Thats DWFK coupling and can make vocals warm and bright at same(V-shape)

So resisting DWFK is important.
10ohm is starting

Drivers are also easy to gather
Sonion 38D1XJ can be bought from taobao

Those who cannot get 38AJ007 from soundlink and use two yellow.

Review of sample

10ohm DWFK + Sonion woofer.

Over clear. Final 2 but bass energy shifted to subbass. Guitar plucks are done better by non ferrofluid driver and especially DWFK. The guitars are physical in chest when combined with Sonion 38D1XJ subbass reach.

More extended. And more airy

Right now.

I am using no zobel

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #10,656 of 16,036
I have a very basic question. For those who wire Zobel straight to the wires. Sometime I do suspect the way that I’m doing it does it even make the electric connection.

All my wires are pre-cut to 3cm long, I don’t want to cut my wire into two. So what I did is to use the solder and try to burn the insulator away and hopefully pre-tint the wire at the same time. But it’s taking too long to do that and sometime I don’t even know did it burn away the insulator away or just soldering coating on top.

How would you guys do it to ensure there is electric connections when making Zobel.

For my wires I can actually see smoke coming out when I use the soldering iron to heat the enamel, so I know they're burned out. Also the solder doesn't really stick to the coating anyways. If the solder sticks a connection is likely there.

Dec 18, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #10,657 of 16,036
Prototyping of Final4

Sonion 38D1XJ
Series,
zobel,
taped vent

Resistor to taste(increase to reduce bass)

Knowles DWFK
Forced series
Zobel
10ohms resistor
Resistor to taste( to decrease fullrange)

No cross, no dampers

10mm tube
2.5mm ID for DWFK
0.5mm ID for woofer

Now for extra notice for the builders

When DWFK and sonion will be fullranged, you will see the bass boost from mids and the loss of overall bass strength.

Thats DWFK coupling and can make vocals warm and bright at same(V-shape)

So resisting DWFK is important.
10ohm is starting

Drivers are also easy to gather
Sonion 38D1XJ can be bought from taobao

Those who cannot get 38AJ007 from soundlink and use two yellow.

Review of sample

10ohm DWFK + Sonion woofer.

Over clear. Final 2 but bass energy shifted to subbass. Guitar plucks are done better by non ferrofluid driver and especially DWFK. The guitars are physical in chest when combined with Sonion 38D1XJ subbass reach.

More extended. And more airy

Right now.

I am using no zobel
Hows the DWFK? It seems interesting for upper midrange, and pretty easy to get a hold of. I’m pretty sure 64 used to use them, but don’t any more with the new Tia they switched to ED for electrical reasons.

Sorry for all the questions, but I am working on developing a circuit for my next pair, and would love some help, as I think you have worked with all of these drivers.

Starting off, whats the inductance of 2389D in series? The 38D1x is 12ohm DC, 7.8mH parallel, correct?

Do you have the ability to give a usable AC resistance for the 2389D and a 38D1x after a Zobel? If so, I assume you have a 2389D parallel zobel circuit, which I would appreciate you posting.

I’m trying to figure out the crossover points between the two without buying something to test it, like the DATS. If you have a circuit for those two I would heavily appreciate that.

I feel like 3db/octave lowpass (or no crossover at at all) would be fine for the 38D1X because of acupass, but 6db for the 2389. Then I would pad both the 2389D and the 38D1x 20dB. Is this about what you would do?

With the EST, I would love some input for the crossover point. 10khz, 6dB on EST and 3dB on the 2389D?

Dec 18, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #10,658 of 16,036
Hows the DWFK? It seems interesting for upper midrange, and pretty easy to get a hold of. I’m pretty sure 64 used to use them, but don’t any more with the new Tia they switched to ED for electrical reasons.

Sorry for all the questions, but I am working on developing a circuit for my next pair, and would love some help, as I think you have worked with all of these drivers.

Starting off, whats the inductance of 2389D in series? The 38D1x is 12ohm DC, 7.8mH parallel, correct?

Do you have the ability to give a usable AC resistance for the 2389D and a 38D1x after a Zobel? If so, I assume you have a 2389D parallel zobel circuit, which I would appreciate you posting.

I’m trying to figure out the crossover points between the two without buying something to test it, like the DATS. If you have a circuit for those two I would heavily appreciate that.

I feel like 3db/octave lowpass (or no crossover at at all) would be fine for the 38D1X because of acupass, but 6db for the 2389. Then I would pad both the 2389D and the 38D1x 20dB. Is this about what you would do?

With the EST, I would love some input for the crossover point. 10khz, 6dB on EST and 3dB on the 2389D?
Eeehhh man, dont think on other drivers other manufacturers use.
LoL
They have their own sets of application and I had my own.

Yes, its used for upper midrange. It has fantastic clarity and is better integrated into a specific design compared to TWFK. It also kinda has more smoother treble profile to TWFK.

Now, inductance of 38D1XJ In parallel config is 3.898484006168mH typical (not exact)

In series it is
15.59393602467mH

2389D.....hmmmm
Series

2.847050173668mH typical

Standard 2389 is 1.4 something

Dec 18, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #10,659 of 16,036
For my wires I can actually see smoke coming out when I use the soldering iron to heat the enamel, so I know they're burned out. Also the solder doesn't really stick to the coating anyways. If the solder sticks a connection is likely there.

I’ll try to use a more powerful soldering later. I mainly use a 5V USB solder, because it heats up very fast and very easy to set up but I think it might not hot enough to burn the enamel.

Dec 18, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #10,660 of 16,036
Eeehhh man, dont think on other drivers other manufacturers use.
LoL
They have their own sets of application and I had my own.

Yes, its used for upper midrange. It has fantastic clarity and is better integrated into a specific design compared to TWFK. It also kinda has more smoother treble profile to TWFK.

Now, inductance of 38D1XJ In parallel config is 3.898484006168mH typical (not exact)

In series it is
15.59393602467mH

2389D.....hmmmm
Series

2.847050173668mH typical

Standard 2389 is 1.4 something
Thank you so much man, this saves me time and money. I appreciate it. Typical Inductance value is fine for zobel, correct?

This is pre-Tia 64 a18, not sure if SWFK, TWFK or DWFK

Could be fk, dwfk or swfk, had to tell as there is no Tia for highs.

Driver appears to read 32256, but I cant say for sure. 32256 brings back 0 matches, even on that Knowles FK-type process change notification (i posted a while back) for the changed yoke style.

Dec 18, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #10,661 of 16,036
If you are having issues with enamel/insulation sticking to your iron, try burning it off with a lighter, instead of a soldering iron. A little bit of acid core flux will "melt" the rest of the insulation off. You will then have a ~5cm non insulated end, which you can then snip to length.

Dec 18, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #10,662 of 16,036
I’ll try to use a more powerful soldering later. I mainly use a 5V USB solder, because it heats up very fast and very easy to set up but I think it might not hot enough to burn the enamel.

Yeah my soldering iron is set at 400C, any lower and the solder takes too long to melt and it annoys me.

Dec 18, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #10,663 of 16,036
If you are having issues with enamel/insulation sticking to your iron, try burning it off with a lighter, instead of a soldering iron. A little bit of acid core flux will "melt" the rest of the insulation off. You will then have a ~5cm non insulated end, which you can then snip to length.

Thanks, luckily the enamel vaporizes quickly since my iron is very hot :p

Dec 18, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #10,664 of 16,036
Thanks, luckily the enamel vaporizes quickly since my iron is very hot :p
nice... estron? With my iron (like estron but a silicon insulation) takes putting my iron up to like... 400c to burn it off, and it smells like hell

Well, its useful to whoever it applies to haha.

Dec 19, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #10,665 of 16,036
Thank you so much man, this saves me time and money. I appreciate it. Typical Inductance value is fine for zobel, correct?

This is pre-Tia 64 a18, not sure if SWFK, TWFK or DWFK

Could be fk, dwfk or swfk, had to tell as there is no Tia for highs.

Driver appears to read 32256, but I cant say for sure. 32256 brings back 0 matches, even on that Knowles FK-type process change notification (i posted a while back) for the changed yoke style.
Image seems broken

Its a SWFK
With more damping than SWFK32254 and 32255

Users who are viewing this thread

Back