Home-Made IEMs
Dec 19, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #10,666 of 16,017
nice... estron? With my iron (like estron but a silicon insulation) takes putting my iron up to like... 400c to burn it off, and it smells like hell

Well, its useful to whoever it applies to haha.

I do use Estron, but mainly use some litz copper wires I bought off Taobao for cheap. They're slightly thicker so its easier to work with.

Dec 19, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #10,667 of 16,017
If you are having issues with enamel/insulation sticking to your iron, try burning it off with a lighter, instead of a soldering iron. A little bit of acid core flux will "melt" the rest of the insulation off. You will then have a ~5cm non insulated end, which you can then snip to length.

I try to minimise the number of tools I need to make a iem. I can’t control the lighter very well anyway.

nice... estron? With my iron (like estron but a silicon insulation) takes putting my iron up to like... 400c to burn it off, and it smells like hell

Well, its useful to whoever it applies to haha.

I burned MMCX and some driver using 220V temperature control, but the control spoil. That’s why I changed to USB solder.
My USB solder tip is small enough that I can start melting iron within 10 seconds, about 200C~250/300C. . But not hot enough to burn the insulator. Gonna try using a 220v solder, then I’ll get a 300C~400C USB solder if high temperature is the way to go.

Dec 19, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #10,669 of 16,017
Prototyping of Final4

Sonion 38D1XJ
Series,
zobel,
taped vent

Resistor to taste(increase to reduce bass)

Knowles DWFK
Forced series
Zobel
10ohms resistor
Resistor to taste( to decrease fullrange)

No cross, no dampers

10mm tube
2.5mm ID for DWFK
0.5mm ID for woofer

Now for extra notice for the builders

When DWFK and sonion will be fullranged, you will see the bass boost from mids and the loss of overall bass strength.

Thats DWFK coupling and can make vocals warm and bright at same(V-shape)

So resisting DWFK is important.
10ohm is starting

Drivers are also easy to gather
Sonion 38D1XJ can be bought from taobao

Those who cannot get 38AJ007 from soundlink and use two yellow.

Review of sample

10ohm DWFK + Sonion woofer.

Over clear. Final 2 but bass energy shifted to subbass. Guitar plucks are done better by non ferrofluid driver and especially DWFK. The guitars are physical in chest when combined with Sonion 38D1XJ subbass reach.

More extended. And more airy

Right now.

I am using no zobel
Not to rain on your parade but DWFK is not optimal choice in my opinion as it has relatively low HF output. TWFK would be better option for sure IMHO.
on the second note TWFK + 33AJ007i/9 is nice and easy to handle combo, though you don't see it often.

Dec 19, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #10,672 of 16,017
Guys, i thought instead of doing just a bellsing 6zobel in one tube, i should make a MASM 7 to improve this further. Good idea?

But! the bellsing one have zobel already, so i should make a zobel for the rab and connect both to the mmcx so they would be in parallel, right?

Attachments

• MASM 7 scheme.JPG
    MASM 7 scheme.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 0
Dec 19, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #10,677 of 16,017
Does anyone in the end tried to do a guetto spraying lacquer using a spray gun/air brush?

I remember someone saying they will try it with pro3edure lacquer. not sure how it turned out.

I wonder if one would need to use some thinner as well and if so what would be an appropriate way to thin it?

Dec 19, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #10,679 of 16,017
And how to clean the gun afterwards...

yeah that also.

but seriously, lacquering with a brush is a pain in the ass. no matter how experienced one is. there is always a chance of tiny imperfections. not even talking about the fact that you absolutely need to do it in daylight to not miss small imperfections giving you a chance to retry/adjust before curing. no artificial lights worked as good as daylight thus far for me.

the older the brush is the more tendency it has to catch/create tiny bubbles as well

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #10,680 of 16,017
Not to rain on your parade but DWFK is not optimal choice in my opinion as it has relatively low HF output. TWFK would be better option for sure IMHO.
on the second note TWFK + 33AJ007i/9 is nice and easy to handle combo, though you don't see it often.
i tried TWFK, causes dipping
cannot control its tuning overall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back