Holy cow, Australians have to put up with these kinds of spiders?!
Jul 24, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #61 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by brotherlen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They get pretty big, I saw them in Iraq and Afghanistan, this is a wide lens used, so there is a slight distortion in size, make a fist, and put legs on it, thats about an accurate size for them. One time, in a vehicle with a local, he stopped to let one cross the street at night, just before he let me out. I don't think I ever picked my head up when I was walking there.

Yeah if you look at the size of the sleeve/part of the hand on the right it shows the relative size agrees with your estimates. These babies are pretty overhyped, though.

As with all things online, I find the pictures tend to make them seem bigger than they actually are.. substantially.

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #62 of 78
Yeah we have some big ones down here in Florida.

Wolf Spiders:

WKLK6KQK6K7KAKWQHS1QDKUQAK4K307KY05KOKGKBK1QHSAQBK5KAKMKAKXKHSNQAKGKZSGK1KUQZS.jpg

Banana Spiders / Orb Weaver:

7.jpg

Huntsman Spider:

18.jpg

A few of these hang around, and inside my shed. I do not mind them They keep the other pest out. About the only thing scary about them (as they are not real aggresive or too dangerous) is when you were younger and running through the trees, or in the forest if camping and you run thru the web of one. Then you knew somewhere on you was a big hairy spider crawling around. The webs are tough too. The orange groves around here are notorious for banana spiders.

We also have some very beautiful Jumping spiders...These are pretty much totally harmless as you can see by people holding them in the pictures.

I know of a few people that keep some as pets in little bug jars/cages.

Jumping spiders:

jumping_spider_723.jpg

eye-macros-jumping-spider1.jpg

habronattus-decorus-3.jpg

The ones we worry about down here are the tiny ones...Black Widows, and Brown Recluse spiders. Especially the brown recluse, as not only is the venom toxic, but if you ever google their bites for pictures you will see the tissue damage done to the area of the bite. It literally rots the surrounding tissue.

Jul 24, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #63 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by PieRat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ones we worry about down here are the tiny ones...Black Widows, and Brown Recluse spiders. Especially the brown recluse, as not only is the venom toxic, but if you ever google their bites for pictures you will see the tissue damage done to the area of the bite. It literally rots the surrounding tissue.

I swear if someone posts one of those I'm reporting them and sending a PM to any mods that are online.

Jul 24, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #64 of 78
Quote:

eye-macros-jumping-spider1.jpg

That picture actually looks pretty cool.

But the pictures showing black widow bites are pretty creepy.

Jul 24, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #66 of 78
Jul 24, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #67 of 78
Quote:

habronattus-decorus-3.jpg

As someone who has to grab a camera every time I see a jumping spider, I can appreciate your pics.
smily_headphones1.gif
Jumping spiders are easily my favourite arthropod. They are pretty intelligent for spiders, too.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Also, I think that huntsman spider is a relative of the dock/fishing spiders we get up here. Similar markings/leg pose (front four kept together in pairs).

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #71 of 78
I took this last night especially for you guys
1248460827.jpg

bleugh what a horrible little thing

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #72 of 78
<double post...sorry
redface.gif
>

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #73 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As someone who has to grab a camera every time I see a jumping spider, I can appreciate your pics.
smily_headphones1.gif
Jumping spiders are easily my favourite arthropod. They are pretty intelligent for spiders, too.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Also, I think that huntsman spider is a relative of the dock/fishing spiders we get up here. Similar markings/leg pose (front four kept together in pairs).

I love jumping spiders as well. They are so inquisitive. Kind of like a "curious cat" of spiders.

speaking of there is one species of jumping spider I think from Australia that is called the gliding/peacock spider. Supposedly they can use this extra flap to help glide longer distances through the air.

0009yy3a

Jul 24, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #75 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I took this last night especially for you guys
1248460827.jpg

bleugh what a horrible little thing

That's a harvestman. They don't have venom and eat rotting leaves and stuff. Nothing to worry about.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back