Holy cow, Australians have to put up with these kinds of spiders?!
Jul 22, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #31 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know
frown.gif
I almost banned a guy from another forum I mod for posting this picture
1248255019.jpg

I would burn the house down taking care of those suckers.... dear god.

AQUA NET AND LIGHTER ON STANDBY

Jul 23, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #34 of 78
As an arachnophobe with many golden orbs in my garden, these photos don't surprise me.

They are huge and disgusting in real life, there are two 'locals' that I know exactly where they are at the moment. I'll take photo's when I'm not as sick.

Jul 23, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #35 of 78
Quote:

I know
frown.gif

This honestly may be the worst thing I've ever seen. Is there a way a mod can ban me from this thread?

Jul 23, 2009 at 9:44 AM Post #36 of 78
Ugh. I'm not really an arachnophobe but I would get a sledgehammer if I ever saw any of those big ones. Luckily where I live most insects are small, harmless and only around for three months a year at most.

Jul 23, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #37 of 78
Quote:

I know
frown.gif

I don't think it would have been as bad if the big fella wasn't there, but in the current state it's like she's the commander of those legions.

I only have to deal with crane flies (100% harmless, but fragile and gross 'cause their legs break off everywhere) in Jersey, and that's only for August 'cause I'm in Manhattan for school. And the dorms are good enough that I've only seen one giant cockroach (3+ inches) in the past year, but it wasn't even in my room..

Jul 23, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #38 of 78
Up in Ontario's cottage country we get pretty big spiders. "Dock Spiders" are what everyone calls them, they live by the lake side and are aggressive as hell, with a bite like a bee sting and a leg span the size of the palm of a large hand. Ugly mothers, too. Also, if you knock them into the water they just swim back to shore.

*shudder*

Jul 23, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #39 of 78
Quote:

I don't think it would have been as bad if the big fella wasn't there, but in the current state it's like she's the commander of those legions.

what I find scary is that each one of those baby spiders are a) bigger than any spider found in the UK b) will grow up to be just as big as the big daddy, there's got to be 50+ mini spiders there!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Up in Ontario's cottage country we get pretty big spiders. "Dock Spiders" are what everyone calls them, they live by the lake side and are aggressive as hell, with a bite like a bee sting and a leg span the size of the palm of a large hand. Ugly mothers, too. Also, if you knock them into the water they just swim back to shore.

*shudder*

040513spider1.jpg

I don't envy you. As I was looking at that picture, I got a text and my phone vibrated in my pocket..I crapped myself thinking it was a spider
redface.gif

Jul 23, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #41 of 78
Quote:

040513spider1.jpg

I don't envy you. As I was looking at that picture, I got a text and my phone vibrated in my pocket..I crapped myself thinking it was a spider
redface.gif

That's them, all right!
biggrin.gif
I once hit one with a flip-flop and it just shook it off and ran away.

EDIT: As an aside, the best thing about their size is that there tends to not be very many of them. Usually one, maybe two per dock side area. Unless, of course, the female's egg sack (that she carries under her abdomen) hatches, then we've got many little ones to contend with.

Jul 23, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #42 of 78
Quote:

That's them, all right!
biggrin.gif
I once hit one with a flip-flop and it just shook it off and ran away.

EDIT: As an aside, the best thing about their size is that there tends to not be very many of them. Usually one, maybe two per dock side area. Unless, of course, the female's egg sack (that she carries under her abdomen) hatches, then we've got many little ones to contend with.

You really need to start worrying when they catch the flip-flop and throw it back at you.

Jul 23, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #43 of 78
Hey Moogoob, gotta love those bloody things, eh? Fast as hell, they jump, they don't make webs (so no real warning) and they bite for no reason at all.

The official term for them is Wolf Spider, by the way, and they are active hunters (no web, just cunning, speed and force). I hate them.

Jul 23, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #44 of 78
I'm the official spider catcher at my office. Seeing how some of the women (not trying to be sexist, but it has yet to be a guy) freak out about the tiny, harmless spiders here ("It's a black widow!" even though it's light brown), it would be hilarious if something that size crawled in the door.

Jul 23, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #45 of 78
Quote:

*shudder*

Heh, you mean these?

spider-dining.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back