Holy cow, Australians have to put up with these kinds of spiders?!
Jul 22, 2009 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
(Don't worry for those who have arachnophobia, the pictures aren't huge)

Gigantic Spider Gobbles Bird in Front of Camera

I have random urges to visit Australia every now and then (mainly for the koalas and kangaroos), but every time I'm reminded of what icky poisonous creatures dwell there, the desire quickly goes away.
ph34r.gif

Jul 22, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 78
I am so scared right now.

Jul 22, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 78
I wonder if there are many reports of that type of spider attacking people.

Jul 22, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 78
Thank God for Alaska and cold environments!

The 5 years I spent in India, I spent watching my every step and looking behind my back for fear of giant cockroaches, giant spiders, rhino beetles, centipedes, scorpions and other creepy crawlies...(I don't do so well with bugs). Everyone else can have their bugs: I like having to deal with June Bugs as the largest bug around and even those give me the willies when one pops onto my shoulder out of nowhere.

Jul 22, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #8 of 78
And the irony is, the golden orb weaver isnt even one of the spiders you should really be worried about. That dubious honour goes to the Sydney funnel web:

Sydney Funnel Web Spider

Which has a poison potent enough to kill an adult human, and is aggressive to boot. And then there's the redback, and the white tail.

Oh, and out of the 10 most deadly snakes in the world, 8 of them are native to australia
wink.gif

Also, do you like to swim?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_jellyfish

Box Jellyfish have the deadliest venom of any animal in the world.

Jul 22, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #9 of 78
Thats a serious daddy long leg. I want to see a fight between that spider and a praying mantis.

Jul 22, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #11 of 78
Now that's disturbing.

The ones I really hated were the hobo spiders that used to lurk out in central Oregon when I lived there.

When the weather turned cold, they'd often slip under the garage door into my garage. That wasn't so good because the garage was my workshop - I used to go down there to pick at my furniture projects and an old truck.

They bite and are fast. I'd usually have to hit them with spray adhesive to slow them down before I could finish them off. Occasionally, a shot of Foamy Engine Brite would take care of things.

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #13 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetAdeline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do I always click these threads?!

My sentiments exactly. And remind me never to go to Australia, or Oregon for that matter. I like it here in DC where slow, ugly beetles are the worst we have. Of course now someone is going to post a picture of a 17 foot tall spider named Manny that lives in Rock Creek Park.

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #14 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My sentiments exactly. And remind me never to go to Australia, or Oregon for that matter. I like it here in DC where slow, ugly beetles are the worst we have. Of course now someone is going to post a picture of a 17 foot tall spider named Manny that lives in Rock Creek Park.

I didn't know Louie had a little brother named Manny!

Jul 22, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #15 of 78
Ever been down south?
heather-banana-spider-780243.jpg

They get considerably bigger......
Yeah, we stayed in the house on Hilton Head Island which had one of these outside near the drive. It was about 8-9 inches in span. My dad has the pic with a ruler somewhere....
The males were numerous and tiny, surrounding the female.

Funny was the morning my brother woke up with one of them on his arm. Ran and screemed through the house in his underware with my aunts and grandma and uncle with their family as watching eyes as he flung the spider off him! held on all the way into the hall. Luckily not very venomous and it didnt bite him....just shoved its legs in.

Laughed really hard...afer we squished it. Wicked fast too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back