Holy cow, Australians have to put up with these kinds of spiders?!
Jul 23, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #47 of 78
More ardent arachnophobia applied to a group of animals that thoroughly doesn't deserve this kind of revulsion or fear. Most spiders are harmless to humans, and the vast majority are docile and will only attack when cornered. Yes funnel-webs suck but there hasn't been a funnel-web related death since 1981 IIRC when antivenom was introduced, and most bites do not require medical attention.

And no, I'm not only saying this because I live in an area free of dangerous spiders. Look up the Brown Recluse sometime. I'll take a funnel-web bite over a brown recluse any day. At least funnel-webs are big; the brown recluse is small, likes human habitats and is pretty common wherever it's found in the first place. And even with all that, and a nasty necrotic venom that can cause gangrene, dangerous brown recluse bites are still extremely rare.

Wolf spiders are actually highly beneficial if you have them in your gardens - they do a great job of pest control. They're pretty unique too in that they're among the very few spiders to have developed eyesight, and are daytime hunters using vision primarily. Really cool stuff, parallel evolution at work since their eyes have nothing in common with anybody else's.

Want to see a truly nasty critter? Look up the human botfly - just not before lunch, or at work.

Jul 23, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #49 of 78
Why do the majority of humans fear spiders? Is it a learned response passed down from parent to child, or is it something more instinctive that has been imprinted into our genes and passed down over the eons from Homo habilis? (well, except for the bug lovers who I guess have a slightly different gene pattern like someone with 11 toes)
tongue.gif

Jul 23, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #50 of 78
Quote:

or is it something more instinctive that has been imprinted into

It's instinct. People who cannot get around fear of things that can kill them have a weak will. Granted I'll wee myself if I'm in a enclosure with a tiger, but no need to fear something if it can't get you.

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #51 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's instinct. People who cannot get around fear of things that can kill them have a weak will. Granted I'll wee myself if I'm in a enclosure with a tiger, but no need to fear something if it can't get you.

Yeah, I imagine this is probably it. Whenever I see any spider I instantly feel a surge of fear, except for maybe your typical house spider.

I know my fear was amped up a lot after I inexplicably watched some special on the brown recluse spider. Seeing what they can do to you messed me up. Then not long after I saw a black widow crawl right by me and I lost my mind.

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #52 of 78
Jul 24, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #53 of 78
I'm suprised noone has posted the good ol' Solifugae yet for comparison purposes. They aren't technically spiders, but I don't think anyone will pause to investigate upon running into one. I'm sure lots of people have seen the pic of a Middle Eastern Solifugae genus:

camelspiderposter.jpg

Oh and ironically, they are found on all continents except Australia (and Antarctica).

Jul 24, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #54 of 78
I wanna see a head to head death cage match between camel spider and tarantula. The winner then have to fight a giant centipede. Then whoever wins after that has to fight Michael Moore.

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #56 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

naa, its the legs for me..all..horrible and stuff, and if the spider is hairy..even worse. Bleurgh

Jul 24, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #57 of 78
It's not really the big ones you should be worried about, but the little (venomous) ones that hide in your shoes and old things.

I lived in Perth for a few years when I was young and Mum always told me to shake my shoes out before wearing them.

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #59 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, you mean these?

spider-dining.jpg

Oh sweet hell that thing caught a fish...
eek.gif

Jul 24, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #60 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm suprised noone has posted the good ol' Solifugae yet for comparison purposes. They aren't technically spiders, but I don't think anyone will pause to investigate upon running into one. I'm sure lots of people have seen the pic of a Middle Eastern Solifugae genus:

Oh and ironically, they are found on all continents except Australia (and Antarctica).

They get pretty big, I saw them in Iraq and Afghanistan, this is a wide lens used, so there is a slight distortion in size, make a fist, and put legs on it, thats about an accurate size for them. One time, in a vehicle with a local, he stopped to let one cross the street at night, just before he let me out. I don't think I ever picked my head up when I was walking there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back