Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Feb 28, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #4,021 of 4,063
Can anyone confirm if Spring 3 KTE works with Android phones via USB input?
I am selling my Spring 3 and potential buyer wants to know this info. I have never tested usb input with my iPhone and I don't have any Android phone to test anyway.
Yes it works

Mar 15, 2024 at 10:28 PM Post #4,022 of 4,063
I've recently dove into HQPlayer and my only regret is not doing so sooner. While I enjoyed my Spring 3 KTE w/pre immensely, HQPlayer brings it to a goosebumps level of realism and an "in the room of the recording" experience.

I'm still playing around with settings but I'd like to share what has worked best for my chain & ears. I welcome any other HQPlayer suggestions!

iMac > HQPlayer Client > Qobuz > Spring 3 KTE > Ferrum OOR w/Hypsos (22.0 V) > Hifiman Susvara

Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 10.22.39 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 10.24.22 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 10.24.51 PM.png

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #4,023 of 4,063
That's a good question! I compared the May vs. Spring 3 vs. Terminator Plus at the same time. Going over my notes the things I see between the two Holos was:

The May and Spring 3 are pretty similar

- May has a larger soundstage
- May has better separation
- May has better focus (instruments / voices in space are highly defined, and not smeared in space)

- Bass is pretty close, and I couldn't discern much of a difference
- Treble extension and "airiness" was the same to me
- The "believability" of voices, and instruments was about the same to me. A couple of times I preferred the May on my reference tracks. But suppose it was pretty clear on 3/22 tracks. So, pretty close to the same.

Those were my observations. I'm a big fan of the May, and think it scales to the very highest setups. In fact, the T2 + SGL Sr setup is probably the most detailed money can buy (IMHO!). If the T+A is that good, I'll have to spend some time with one. Sounds exciting :)

Could you comment on the blackness levels between the Spring 3 KTE and the May KTE. I have heard the Spring 2 and May Level 2 on youtube, same system and songs; and it was clear the May had better separation, decay and blackness. However, this was the Spring 2 and not the Spring 3 KTE. Do you feel it was worth the upgrade from the Spring 3 KTE to May KTE? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #4,024 of 4,063
Do you feel it was worth the upgrade from the Spring 3 KTE to May KTE. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

In the end, there will always be something better - it's your wallet that decides what you're happy with. :grin:

New Spring 3 KTE owner, and 100% happy.
I bought the Cyan2 4 weeks ago and was so impressed that I upgraded to the Spring 3 - its my endgame in this DAC game.

IMG_2353.jpeg

IMG_2424.jpeg

Holo Red is incoming on tuesday.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 9:23 AM Post #4,025 of 4,063
In the end, there will always be something better - it's your wallet that decides what you're happy with. :grin:

I bought the Cyan2 4 weeks ago and was so impressed that I upgraded to the Spring 3 - its my endgame in this DAC game.

I think the Spring KTE and May KTE are close to end game, hence my question. I tested the Accuphase DC-1000 a few weeks ago, and all I can say is Accuphase have not sorted out their USB input.

Please share your thoughts on the Holo Red. I'm currently using the SOtM Ultra stack (streamer, usb cleaner, switch) with HQPlayer and have no desire to upgrade. I do want to upgrade the DAC from the Qutest to end game.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #4,026 of 4,063
Could you comment on the blackness levels between the Spring 3 KTE and the May KTE. I have heard the Spring 2 and May Level 2 on youtube, same system and songs; and it was clear the May had better separation, decay and blackness. However, this was the Spring 2 and not the Spring 3 KTE. Do you feel it was worth the upgrade from the Spring 3 KTE to May KTE. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
May KTE has superior blackness due to the separate power supply.

Mar 31, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #4,027 of 4,063
Please share your thoughts on the Holo Red. I'm currently using the the SOtM Ultra stack (streamer, usb cleaner, switch) with HQPlayer and have no desire to upgrade. I do want to upgrade the DAC from the Qutest to end game.

I will do that.
I currently use a Raspberry Pi 4 with DietPi for Roon & HQPlayer.
But for me it somehow feels wrong to use an RPi4 with the Spring3, so I ordered the Red - it’s just a mind thing. :D

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #4,028 of 4,063
In the end, there will always be something better - it's your wallet that decides what you have to be happy with. :grin:
FTFY....[Reg. TM; © bcowen: 2021.]

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #4,029 of 4,063
For now i decided against upgrading my Spring 3 KTE to a May. I would also want to buy an additional preamp since i dislike using the Envy without an attenuator. That would then also lead me buying a Serene or a Bliss and i'm very happy with the performance of the Spring and its preamp module.
Maybe someday in the future, but i won't rush it. The Spring 3 KTE is very good.

Mar 31, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #4,030 of 4,063
For now i decided against upgrading my Spring 3 KTE to a May. I would also want to buy an additional preamp since i dislike using the Envy without an attenuator. That would then also lead me buying a Serene or a Bliss and i'm very happy with the performance of the Spring and its preamp module.
Maybe someday in the future, but i won't rush it. The Spring 3 KTE is very good.
I had the same question about the preamps in the Spring 3 KTE, Bliss KTE, and Serene and Tim replied with this:
"James,
Our preamp on bliss is better than the preamp in the spring3. And the preamp “serene” is the best option we offer for any preamp.
All of them are tonally about the same however."

I also do not like using my Cayin HA-6A without a preamp to dial in the volume levels. One more step on the Cayin volume knob is too loud sometimes.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #4,031 of 4,063

Might be off topic here, but would very much appreciate your finding in ha3a vs feliks euforia comparison.. like technicalities, soundstage and overall tonality. Are you using stock or upgraded tubes?

Do you have a certain cans/headphone that you like on ha3a more than euforia or vice versa?

::nice gear... smells like endgame

Mar 31, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #4,032 of 4,063
I had the same question about the preamps in the Spring 3 KTE, Bliss KTE, and Serene and Tim replied with this:
"James,
Our preamp on bliss is better than the preamp in the spring3. And the preamp “serene” is the best option we offer for any preamp.
All of them are tonally about the same however."

I also do not like using my Cayin HA-6A without a preamp to dial in the volume levels. One more step on the Cayin volume knob is too loud sometimes.
Thanks, yeah, when i feel the itch to upgrade i'll probably upgrade.
But Serene + May is too much to spend right now...
And i'm very happy with my setup currently, so why force it...

Apr 1, 2024 at 1:22 AM Post #4,034 of 4,063
+1
Had the Original Spring KTE for ~5yrs--replaced it with the Bricasti M3 for ~3 months and purchased the Spring 3 KTE and couldn't be happier.
Been a Spring 3 KTE owner for over a year, and nothing has tempted me to try something else, except for the May.

Apr 1, 2024 at 5:32 AM Post #4,035 of 4,063
+1
Had the Original Spring KTE for ~5yrs--replaced it with the Bricasti M3 for ~3 months and purchased the Spring 3 KTE and couldn't be happier.
May I ask the sonic difference between the OG KTE and Spring 3 KTE? I am always curious. I am a happy owner of OG KTE for years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back