Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Dec 27, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #3,992 of 4,067
Currently home demo-ing innuos phoenix usb, there's a used unit available so i took the chance. Any other spring and innuos phoenix usb users that can chime in what it brings to the table? Honestly i think its pretty marginal, like in the refinement side, if any. Source is PC. Ive only listened to it for about 30 min though.

Dec 28, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #3,993 of 4,067
Curious to hear your impressions after longer listening. Im using the Phoenix Net and in my system it was also very marginal, also almost got an used phoenix USB a couple of times but in the end it never happened and it is impossible to audition one locally.

BTW, does anyone know current msrp of Spring 3 KTE / level 3? mine has pre out, which Im assuming still adds the same $600

Im probably (trying to) sell/downgrade my Spring in my country to fund other stuff in my main system.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #3,994 of 4,067
Question for the group:

Can both RCA and XLR outs be used at the same time with this DAC?

Jan 5, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #3,996 of 4,067
Hey all - arguments about cables impacting sound aside, can I use any USB A to B cable with my Spring 3? I’m getting a new, larger desk soon and will be moving the Spring to the opposite side of where my computer is so I’m going to need a 10-15ft cable instead of the included cable.

Is there any spec I need to make sure the cable has or will anything work?

Jan 5, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #3,997 of 4,067
Hey all - arguments about cables impacting sound aside, can I use any USB A to B cable with my Spring 3? I’m getting a new, larger desk soon and will be moving the Spring to the opposite side of where my computer is so I’m going to need a 10-15ft cable instead of the included cable.

Is there any spec I need to make sure the cable has or will anything work?
The higher you go in USB generation (IE USB 1, 2, 3, 4) the shorter the recommended maximum length becomes.

Since we are dealing with USB 2 and your max distance is 15ft then any good quality USB A to B cable of your choice is fine.

At 15ft you are at the maximum length so make sure you fall within that 15ft range. After 15ft there could be data loss due to signal propagation or attenuation.

After 15ft a passive cable may not cut it, so you have to move to a powered cable, or fiber optic USB.

Here is a good article on USB cables.
https://www.cablematters.com/Blog/USB-C/usb-cable-max-length

Jan 5, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #3,998 of 4,067
The higher you go in USB generation (IE USB 1, 2, 3, 4) the shorter the recommended maximum length becomes.

Since we are dealing with USB 2 and your max distance is 15ft then any good quality USB A to B cable of your choice is fine.

At 15ft you are at the maximum length so make sure you fall within that 15ft range. After 15ft there could be data loss due to signal propagation or attenuation.

After 15ft a passive cable may not cut it, so you have to move to a powered cable, or fiber optic USB.

Here is a good article on USB cables.
https://www.cablematters.com/Blog/USB-C/usb-cable-max-length
Thank you very much! Incredibly helpful

Feb 22, 2024 at 7:05 AM Post #3,999 of 4,067
Just curious if anyone sold their Holo DACs and what did you move to...

Feb 22, 2024 at 7:09 AM Post #4,000 of 4,067
Just curious if anyone sold their Holo DACs and what did you move to...
I just sold my Spring 3 (level 2 with the best USB module) after I auditioned T+A DAC200 and quickly decided to buy it. It's just better in pretty much every way IMO. I still use Holo Red as streamer and am in the middle of deciding if I keep Holo Serene as preamp or will I just use DAC200's integrated analog preamp (which is really good also).

Feb 22, 2024 at 7:20 AM Post #4,001 of 4,067
I just sold my Spring 3 (level 2 with the best USB module) after I auditioned T+A DAC200 and quickly decided to buy it. It's just better in pretty much every way IMO. I still use Holo Red as streamer and am in the middle of deciding if I keep Holo Serene as preamp or will I just use DAC200's integrated analog preamp (which is really good also).
Wow. That T+A DAC200 is supposed to be some really good stuff.

Feb 22, 2024 at 8:17 AM Post #4,002 of 4,067
Had a Holo May KTE L3 and now use a DAC200. Measurements aside, the DAC 200 is subjectively on a different level, particularly when fed DSD (upsanpled via HQPlayer) The preamp is excellent and it’s fully balanced throughout. Just a great piece of kit for the $$$.

Feb 22, 2024 at 8:25 AM Post #4,003 of 4,067
So you've moved from R2R to DS?

Feb 22, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #4,005 of 4,067
So you've moved from R2R to DS?
I mainly use DAC200 with upsampling to DSD256 through HQPlayer. Holo Spring 3 isn't R2R for DSD either. I have my TV connected through optical and that obviously outputs PCM but for music, it's pretty much always DSD. I think the DSD sections are quite similar on DAC200 and Holo, but somehow T+A sounds very different. It has better clarity, huge open and deep soundstage which almost envelopes you and it sounds more dynamic with better attack, immediacy and punch. Spring 3 is smoother and more relaxed sounding but sounds flatter and less dynamic in comparison. Both are still great products and the differences aren't "night and day" but they're there.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back