Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Feb 22, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #4,006 of 4,067
I mainly use DAC200 with upsampling to DSD256 through HQPlayer. Holo Spring 3 isn't R2R for DSD either. I have my TV connected through optical and that obviously outputs PCM but for music, it's pretty much always DSD. I think the DSD sections are quite similar on DAC200 and Holo, but somehow T+A sounds very different. It has better clarity, huge open and deep soundstage which almost envelopes you and it sounds more dynamic with better attack, immediacy and punch. Spring 3 is smoother and more relaxed sounding but sounds flatter and less dynamic in comparison. Both are still great products and the differences aren't "night and day" but they're there.
Lovely explanation. Thank you.

Feb 22, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #4,007 of 4,067
If your library is mostly in DSD, then yeah, R-2R doesn't make sense in that use-case. But on the other hand, I've found PCM sounds much better via R-2R. There may be exceptions but for the most part that's a rule that hasn't let me down very often.

Feb 22, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #4,009 of 4,067
I went from a Spring 3 > May KTE. I really like the May a ton, and use it with my main headphone setup (T2 > SGL Sr).
How do they compare? Same house sound with stronger bass on the May?

Feb 22, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #4,010 of 4,067
I've been an R2R guy for a very long time. I'm discovering that the upsampling in my Lindemann streamer/DAC sounds superior to me then the Spring 3 KTE when I had it. The AKM 4493 in dual differential is up sampling everything to DSD.

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #4,011 of 4,067
How do they compare? Same house sound with stronger bass on the May?
That's a good question! I compared the May vs. Spring 3 vs. Terminator Plus at the same time. Going over my notes the things I see between the two Holos was:

The May and Spring 3 are pretty similar

- May has a larger soundstage
- May has better separation
- May has better focus (instruments / voices in space are highly defined, and not smeared in space)

- Bass is pretty close, and I couldn't discern much of a difference
- Treble extension and "airiness" was the same to me
- The "believability" of voices, and instruments was about the same to me. A couple of times I preferred the May on my reference tracks. But suppose it was pretty clear on 3/22 tracks. So, pretty close to the same.

Those were my observations. I'm a big fan of the May, and think it scales to the very highest setups. In fact, the T2 + SGL Sr setup is probably the most detailed money can buy (IMHO!). If the T+A is that good, I'll have to spend some time with one. Sounds exciting :)

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #4,014 of 4,067
Just goes to show how effective marketing and the internet influencers are.

cool for all that enjoy it though. I do as well.

Helloe.

tone, is that you?

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #4,015 of 4,067
Just goes to show how effective marketing and the internet influencers are.

cool for all that enjoy it though. I do as well.
Since you didn’t quote anything, what are you referring to?
What is showing how effective Marketing and influencers are?

Feb 23, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #4,016 of 4,067
Has anyone compared the Spring 3 to the Cyan?

Feb 23, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #4,017 of 4,067
It's probably a good value.

Feb 23, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #4,018 of 4,067
I've had the Spring 3 KTE w/ purple fuse left on for almost two months now along w/ the Bliss KTE. You can hear the burn-in gradually sounding better. Definitely a step up from Gustard A26...I just wonder what the R26 sounds like. But too much headache with fiber optics and clocks to make it sound good.

Feb 23, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #4,019 of 4,067
Has anyone compared the Spring 3 to the Cyan?
I've only seen one YT review on it, and it was a very general review, without a lot of detail. In the end he said he liked it and would consider swapping and selling his Spring 3. :thinking:

One very brief review posted.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/holo-cyan-2-a-super-brief-review.971492/

Even though I am not in the market to buy another DAC I would love to hear GoldenSound, New Record Day, or Soundnews do a more detailed review.

Not a lot of thoughts out there about it that I can find even on the Head-fi Cyan 2 thread.

Probably just not enough of them out there in the wild yet.

Feb 28, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #4,020 of 4,067
Can anyone confirm if Spring 3 KTE works with Android phones via USB input?
I am selling my Spring 3 and potential buyer wants to know this info. I have never tested usb input with my iPhone and I don't have any Android phone to test anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back