Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Jan 13, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #1,711 of 4,063
I also own both, and my impressions are somewhat similar to yours. I previously owned a mojo (did not like it at all), and also a/b with the Hugo.

To me, the Spring sounds much more "realistic", but the Hugo2 sounds extremely pleasing. So pleasing in fact, that it sounds "too good to be true".
Even bad recordings sound good on the Hugo2, but the same cannot be said about the Spring. DSD on the Spring is also some next level stuff.....

Do note that I'm amping the Spring with the GSX mk2 whereas I am running straight off the Hugo2.

I would not say which is "better", since they serve very different purposes.
But I am now able to at least have an enjoyable experience when I'm traveling, whereas previously my XD-05+V5i could not quite reach "level:enjoyable'.
Fully agreed on the Mojo, the Hugo and even more the Hugo 2 are in a different league.
Great setup man, congrats!
I wish I could have more space (and money) to have multiple amps together... the GSX mk2 would be my first option together with the Violectric V281.
I have to say that my small but powerful Pathos Aurium (hybrid, class A, zero feedback amp) pairs exceptionally well with the Spring L3, I am extremely happy and enjoying music like NEVER before!

Jan 13, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #1,713 of 4,063
Fully agreed on the Mojo, the Hugo and even more the Hugo 2 are in a different league.
Great setup man, congrats!
I wish I could have more space (and money) to have multiple amps together... the GSX mk2 would be my first option together with the Violectric V281.
I have to say that my small but powerful Pathos Aurium (hybrid, class A, zero feedback amp) pairs exceptionally well with the Spring L3, I am extremely happy and enjoying music like NEVER before!
Neurochrome HP-1 is another good amp option for the Spring.

Jan 16, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #1,714 of 4,063
I have an opportunity to acquire a used Holo Level 3. Have there been any improvements to the internal components since the Holo was released? Thanks.
I suggest you write to Tim Connor on Kitsune HiFi site with the invoice date of the second hand unit you are buying, he will tell you if there was any changes since then.

Jan 16, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #1,715 of 4,063
I continued a few tests of the Spring L3 vs Hugo 2 and I continue being impressed by the Spring's performance.
This time I hooked both DAC's to the same source and both to the same amp, so to make it a real direct comparison between DACs.
The only minor difference is that the Spring is connected to the amp via XLR balanced cable while the Hugo through RCA.

Well, as I wrote above my impressions did not change. The Spring is one hell of a resolving, musical and refined DAC.
Well done @bimmer100 & co.!

Jan 16, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #1,716 of 4,063
After moving from DAC to DAC pretty rapidly over the past few months, I am certain that the Holo Spring Lvl 1 is here to stay in my system. I was originally eyeing the Schiit Gumby, but I decided to check out the Holo Spring after reading about its NOS R2R capabilities for both PCM and DSD! From my experience, this thing kills PCM recordings. Absolutely knocks them out of the park. It pairs especially well with old 80s CD releases of classic rock and jazz, which are usually very smooth and direct transfers from the tapes. DSD is marvelous, huge, and musical. This is the DAC that made me fully abandon vinyl.

Jan 21, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #1,717 of 4,063
I'm considering the L3 DAC with the SU-1 D2D. Also looking at the RME ADI-2-Pro Anniversary. Has anyone heard both ?

Jan 22, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #1,718 of 4,063
I'm considering the L3 DAC with the SU-1 D2D. Also looking at the RME ADI-2-Pro Anniversary. Has anyone heard both ?

You're looking for an amp to go with that combo, right? You should talk to TIm at Kitsune Audio. He has a Level 3 Holo Spring, a modded SU-1, and a modded iFi iCan Pro powering his Focal Utopias (of course, he also sells the same equipment).

Jan 22, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #1,719 of 4,063
You're looking for an amp to go with that combo, right? You should talk to TIm at Kitsune Audio. He has a Level 3 Holo Spring, a modded SU-1, and a modded iFi iCan Pro powering his Focal Utopias (of course, he also sells the same equipment).

Yes looking for an amp but have my heart set on a Violectric v281 with the L3 and SU-1. Will chat with Tim. Thanks !

Jan 24, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #1,720 of 4,063
Contacted Tim yesterday but have not heard back. Is he usually responsive ? Also going to look at the Schiit Yggdrasil.

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #1,722 of 4,063
Contacted Tim yesterday but have not heard back. Is he usually responsive ? Also going to look at the Schiit Yggdrasil.
Sometimes he is, sometimes he's not.

Jan 25, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #1,724 of 4,063
Tim is a member of the Head-Fi Forum. You could try sending him a PM. His username is @bimmer100.

Jan 25, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #1,725 of 4,063
Hmm...interesting...Tim's Headfi profile says he's using a "L4 Spring DAC...only 10 made." So there's another level higher than 3, it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back