HM-901
Oct 11, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #2,357 of 3,522
It will (also) depend on whether you drive the iem/ciem balanced. In other words: to fully get the benefit of the balanced amp, you need to get a balanced cable with TRRS plug for your JH16.

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #2,358 of 3,522
It will (also) depend on whether you drive the iem/ciem balanced. In other words: to fully get the benefit of the balanced amp, you need to get a balanced cable with TRRS plug for your JH16.

And if I did get the balanced cable, would the difference between SQ from balanced and iem cards be significant?

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #2,360 of 3,522
What is significant...

Good question that is difficult to answer but I'll try my best.

A difference in SQ that would be readily audible (obviously), and worth the cost of the balanced card (over the iem one) and the cost of the balanced cable...  A difference in SQ that would make one feel they're enjoying their music even more...  A difference that would make one go "I'm so glad I bought this card and cable"...  That would be significant.

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #2,363 of 3,522
I only have the Balanced amp card, so I can't compare it to the other amps, but to me the point in getting the IEM amp card would be lower gain (and thus better volume adjustment) and longer battery time and less heat. Getting the Balanced amp will provide the option of going balanced with your CIEMs and other headphones (with the added SQ it yields) plus you don't need to change amp card when going from IEMs to full size headphones. The latter is an important point to me. I (still) have the 801 with three amp cards, and I rarely change the amp. When one is there, it's there, because I find it inconvenient having to remove and insert amp card just to replace the amp again when I change earphones. However, I do appreciate the versatility the 901 has in terms of choosing the amp card that fits the users needs.

Oct 11, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #2,366 of 3,522
I am still trying to buy an IEM card but that's proving incredibly difficult. Neither Hifiman nor its official suppliers would allow me to do it.  
mad.gif

Oct 11, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #2,367 of 3,522
I love the balanced but volume adjustement is an issue. Is is really better with the iem card?

Yes more room to play with volume, but I suspect you will still go back to the balanced board. Well at least I had.

Oct 11, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #2,368 of 3,522
I had the balanced card before, and I felt the sound was a bit too rough, or I'd say too much power jacked into the IE800 which I paired with. I felt the standard card worked better with IE800.

The balanced card did drive my RE600 to a very good level, but I prefer using it in unbalanced mode even the RE600 is balanced (w the included unbalance adapter of ourse). I think quite a few other users feel the same with these combo.

Now I'm having the IEM card, I feel the sound is smoother than the balanced card, but I'm using different IEMs now, the K3003i instead. IE800 and RE600 sold already, can't compare directly.

When paired a balanced IEMs or headphones w the balanced card, the sound would have bigger impact, initial feeling would be 'WOW!' But after a while I got tired easily. I still prefer using it in unbalanced mode somehow, which is still quite a big improvement over the standard card. But I only tried RE600 and HD700 with a self made balanced cable.

Actually the power out put from IEM card isn't very weak, it's not as powerful as the balanced card, but it can drive some full sized cans pretty well. I tried T5p and W3000anv with it, they both sound fantastic. It can even push HD800 to a too loud level that I can't bear.

I could only have 5-6 hours play time w the balanced card, and the player got warm pretty fast. With the IEM card, I can easily get 8-9 hours play time, and the player isn't as warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back