HM-901
Aug 18, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #1,516 of 3,522
Hi All,

Couple a days ago, I received from moon audio my balance amp card and the XLR to 3.5 TRRS cable Black Dragon. I have the HE-500 and ALO Audio Reference 8 balanced cables ending on XLR.

I am normally very careful with my toys... I changed the standard am card for the new one... and on the first test, I heard just 1 channel poorly managed... all kind of things passed my mind and imagination hehe.

I thougt, ok, may be is the new cable adaptor, so I changed it, and same result... then I changed back the standard amp, and everything was ok.... the guilty piece at the moment  was the new balanced amp card. I hate when this things happens !! but I decided to give it an other try and resintall the new card being even more firm when pluging it than before, and everything worked fine since then.

Does anyone experienced something similar? I hope this was just my fault by not connecting properly the card the first time.

Best Regards.

Aug 18, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #1,517 of 3,522
Hi Benny,

I've not experienced that. How's the HE500 driven by the balanced amp? I am still waiting for my balanced cable...

Aug 18, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #1,518 of 3,522
It's normal since the 901 has a stepped attenuator in half steps.
Or do you mean you get imbalance at 3.5?

Quote:
Ah well
smily_headphones1.gif
worth a shot.

Anyone else noticing channel imbalance with the balanced card at volume level 3? It's really annoying because this is exactly around my ideal listening volume... +- a bit makes the music imbalanced.

Aug 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #1,519 of 3,522
Quote:
Ah well
smily_headphones1.gif
worth a shot.

Anyone else noticing channel imbalance with the balanced card at volume level 3? It's really annoying because this is exactly around my ideal listening volume... +- a bit makes the music imbalanced.

I had this "issue" before.  The volume control is actually a stepped attenuator and is designed to be used in steps (the position where it clicks) only.  It is not designed to work for "in-between" position.

Disadvantage is that it provide less room to fine-tune volume and is bulky.   Advantage over a traditional POT is that the stepped  attenuator typically introduce less noise in the signal path and offer better channel balance than POT.  It is usually only used in desktop rigs due to the size and Hifiman went thru some hassle to get it miniaturized to fit onto a DAP.  Some discussion on Headfi here on advantages of stepped attenuator for reference.

Aug 18, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #1,520 of 3,522
Quote:
Hi Benny,

I've not experienced that. How's the HE500 driven by the balanced amp? I am still waiting for my balanced cable...

Hi Pekingduck

I love the sound of the HE500. I am still trying to determine key differences, it sounds better than the standard amp for sure.

Talking about balanced options, and not being an expert , to my ears the HM 901 sounds slightly better than the RX MK3-B + CLAS fully balanced. What I really miss from this combo in the HM901 is that I can not control the bass, and the fact that the HM 901 still has a lot of room for improvements regarding bugs, UI, and so many other things already mentioned by some owners so far. Of course my other combo is like walking around with a bomb !

To me the HM901 makes me very happy on the sound arena ,that is what makes me a little bit blind on the bad aspects.

Best Regards.

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #1,521 of 3,522
IMO the background isn't dark. It has better soundstage compare with balance card SE. And better bass/tre control for My UM Miracle. Mids seems to be similar with the balance card SE mode.
I mean black background i.e. no noise. I do not understand, because you said you just ordered the Miracles, so how do you know? Did youbtry with a demo? I am really curious because I have the Miracles.

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #1,522 of 3,522
I mean black background i.e. no noise. I do not understand, because you said you just ordered the Miracles, so how do you know? Did youbtry with a demo? I am really curious because I have the Miracles.

Yeah I have had heard the miracle from one of my friend and that's the reason makes me ordered one for myself. :)

I wont say my impression is correct as I only heard about 10 minutes. But what I do feel in my first image is the sound signature, very balanced, the soundstage is huge, I won't say it has no noice in its background but at least I didn't heard any noice. Very impressive.

I wanna compare it with the IEM card but none of my friend have this card could borrow me.

Aug 18, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #1,524 of 3,522
Quote:
Ok thanks archeryc

kkcc, you think minibox is just slightly better than balanced card in SE? And is balanced card balanced mode significantly better than minibox SE?

These aren't hard and fast.  Balanced mode expand the soundstage and clarity, works for some tracks (e.g. large classical works), meh for other (e.g. trance/amine) so it really depends.  But since the balance card's SE mode isn't materially inferior to the minibox, I don't feel the need to keep it together with, or keep it over, the balanced card.  I think the decision comes down to if you'd plan on getting the RE600 or balanced cable(s) for your other IEM/CIEMs.  If you are absolutely sure you aren't going balanced, minibox would save you a couple hundred RMB.

Aug 18, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #1,525 of 3,522
These aren't hard and fast.  Balanced mode expand the soundstage and clarity, works for some tracks (e.g. large classical works), meh for other (e.g. trance/amine) so it really depends.  But since the balance card's SE mode isn't materially inferior to the minibox, I don't feel the need to keep it together with, or keep it over, the balanced card.  I think the decision comes down to if you'd plan on getting the RE600 or balanced cable(s) for your other IEM/CIEMs.  If you are absolutely sure you aren't going balanced, minibox would save you a couple hundred RMB.

The main reason I decided to go with minibox is because of its battery capability. 901 with minibox card has similar battery life as the standard amp card, which is great for me. Another reason keep me away from balance card is because all of my IEM / headphones are not with balance cable ( I'm so lazy and would not challenge to mod my headphones with balance cable).

For those people who like me, minibox would be the best choice IMO.

Aug 18, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #1,529 of 3,522
Quote:
The main reason I decided to go with minibox is because of its battery capability. 901 with minibox card has similar battery life as the standard amp card, which is great for me. Another reason keep me away from balance card is because all of my IEM / headphones are not with balance cable ( I'm so lazy and would not challenge to mod my headphones with balance cable).

For those people who like me, minibox would be the best choice IMO.

Battery life, is one of my biggest complaints on the HM 901. They should come up with some solution. As said already by other members, it does not even make sense to have an extra battery if there is no other way to charge it but thru the HM901.

Aug 18, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #1,530 of 3,522
Battery life, is one of my biggest complaints on the HM 901. They should come up with some solution. As said already by other members, it does not even make sense to have an extra battery if there is no other way to charge it but thru the HM901.

Well apparently they are releasing a 901 batter charger in china soon. So hopefully we will get one in the US soon too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back