HM-901
Jul 19, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #1,261 of 3,522
Quote:

901 shines even with 320CBR files.  The DAC and AMP section (especially with the balanced amp boards' 4x OPA627 and 4x BUF634) are impressively implemented.  
Btw you can't really "rip" hi res file from CD as it is recorded at 16/44.1.  Upsampling them would not add to sound quality.  You can purchase HiRes files from various sites that get these direct from studio masters.

Hope this helps.

That is good to hear that 901 performs well with the 320CBR.  And Thanks for the clarification on my use of hi-res.  I was using that term as a catch all term for FLAC rips, but will be more careful in it's use.  I am aware I'm only going to get 16/44 from a CD rip.  I have too much physical media to replace with HiRes downloads. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 27k songs.  It would really have to be something special for me to play the multiple format game.  Like Dark Side of the moon, maybe.  I have had Album, cassette, CD, SACD/CD re-release.  That could be a candidate for me to get the HiRes Download.  But that is one of the special ones.  

I am really going to need an "All In" commitment from myself if I'm going to spend 1300 dollars for the 901 + balanced amp.  I'm not ruling it out.  Just weighing my options and commitment level.  And since I just had to replace my truck, and absolutely had to to replace the stock Bose stereo system with a 3500 dollar aftermarket stereo/amps etc, I have plennnnnnty of time to save.  My audio fun money fund was depleted and is now only back up to $34.50,
atsmile.gif

Luckily when I get some files and a card ready, I may be able to listen to the 901 locally and get some impressions for myself.

Jul 20, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #1,262 of 3,522
Quote:

HM901 can only be charged to full when turned off and the battery indicator isn't really precise enough. It only shows battery indicator of full / half / low / recharging, so there is no way to know precisely how much battery is left / charged. AFAIK, 80%, 90% or 99% could all be a full battery sign. Anyway, I think it would be safer to leave it charged overnight to order to get it full. Hopefully HfiMan will update the battery indicator on the future firmware.

Hi ClieOS

I charged for the first time the HM901 battery, I left it charging overnight. As you mentioned, I neither had a clue as of how the battery level was. In the morning, I checked and no visible sign, except that I check the little light in the charger, and it was off, the cable was still plugged to the HM901. I unplug the cable from the HM901, and unplug and plug back the charger to the power but the green light was still off. I hope this is a way to check that the battery is charged, otherwise, my charger is no longer working. I will try right after the battery power is gone again.

Any thoughts will be very much appreciated. 

Best Regards.

Jul 20, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #1,263 of 3,522
The little green light on the charger is the only charging indicator. After your battery is fully charged, the green light goes off. Don't think you have a faulty charger, mine does that too.

Quote:
Hi ClieOS

I charged for the first time the HM901 battery, I left it charging overnight. As you mentioned, I neither had a clue as of how the battery level was. In the morning, I checked and no visible sign, except that I check the little light in the charger, and it was off, the cable was still plugged to the HM901. I unplug the cable from the HM901, and unplug and plug back the charger to the power but the green light was still off. I hope this is a way to check that the battery is charged, otherwise, my charger is no longer working. I will try right after the battery power is gone again.

Best Regards.

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #1,265 of 3,522
Quote:
Hi ClieOS

Best Regards.

Quote:
The little green light on the charger is the only charging indicator. After your battery is fully charged, the green light goes off. Don't think you have a faulty charger, mine does that too.

^ What he said. In older charger (which I have), the light never go away, just weaken. They revised the charger so now the LED will go off once it is fully charged.

Jul 21, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #1,266 of 3,522
Quote:

^ What he said. In older charger (which I have), the light never go away, just weaken. They revised the charger so now the LED will go off once it is fully charged.

Hi

Once the battery was drained, I plugged again de charger, and the green light was on again. It went off after almost 5 hrs of charging, quite a lot of time.

The manual states you have to turn off for a full charge, so ... 8 hrs of playing + 5 hrs charging is not to good for me. I will deal with it since the sound is really great.

Does anyone knows where to get an extra battery in the US ? I checked the CN store web site, and I did not see any external charger, so an extra battery might not be a good idea after all either.

Best Regards.

Jul 21, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #1,267 of 3,522
Hi

Once the battery was drained, I plugged again de charger, and the green light was on again. It went off after almost 5 hrs of charging, quite a lot of time.

The manual states you have to turn off for a full charge, so ... 8 hrs of playing + 5 hrs charging is not to good for me. I will deal with it since the sound is really great.

Does anyone knows where to get an extra battery in the US ? I checked the CN store web site, and I did not see any external charger, so an extra battery might not be a good idea after all either.

Best Regards.

5 hours or so is the same charging time I had experienced. But how did you get 8 hrs playback time? Max I got from mine is around 6.5hrs continuously and slightly more if not. Or yours is with the standard amp board? With standard I get about 12 hrs.

Yes the fact they sell extra battery and not a charger is really stupid.

Jul 21, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #1,270 of 3,522
Quote:
A-ha! That sounds interesting, because that's the day after Head-Direct in China has HM-901 in stock again. In other words, if it's true they ship after July 21st, it could very well be that Moon Audio doesn't have a single HM-901 yet, but simply receives the payment and then has HiFiMan sending the 901 from China.

Hi 

My shipment came from Moon Audio. I think the confusion was this... Moon Audio published it in stock on July 9, however, they also published in their website that they will be out for their yearly vacations, I think by July 12,  receiving orders but coming back on July 22 if I am not mistaken. This is why I ordered mine on July 9 and got it on perfect time.

Best Regards. 

Jul 21, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #1,271 of 3,522
Quote:
5 hours or so is the same charging time I had experienced. But how did you get 8 hrs playback time? Max I got from mine is around 6.5hrs continuously and slightly more if not. Or yours is with the standard amp board? With standard I get about 12 hrs.

Yes the fact they sell extra battery and not a charger is really stupid.

Hi kkcc, 

I have no clue if my HM901 has the standard board, there was no details on moon audio other than it was on stock and very high level description. I got 8 hrs playback pretty much leaving play alone. If I have the so called "standard board" I am kind of disappointed if you get 12 hrs. I did not want to move out the board, but I will to double check. I did remove the battery looking for some sort of description on the board, but it does not say to much to me...may be is in the other side but I did not want to remove for now until I hear from moon audio (I asked them already) what board comes with it, this is the photo:

I read you have the balanced board, is there any chance that you can please post photos of the standard and balanced boards you have ?

Thank you ! 

Jul 21, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #1,272 of 3,522
Hi kkcc, 

I have no clue if my HM901 has the standard board, there was no details on moon audio other than it was on stock and very high level description. I got 8 hrs playback pretty much leaving play alone. If I have the so called "standard board" I am kind of disappointed if you get 12 hrs. I did not want to move out the board, but I will to double check. I did remove the battery looking for some sort of description on the board, but it does not say to much to me...may be is in the other side but I did not want to remove for now until I hear from moon audio (I asked them already) what board comes with it, this is the photo:

I read you have the balanced board, is there any chance that you can please post photos of the standard and balanced boards you have ?

Thank you ! 

Last I checked, Moon Audio did not have any other board but the standard one. They were waiting on getting in the balanced amp cards so my guess is you have the standard one.

Jul 21, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #1,275 of 3,522
It's the Standard amp module. The Standard amp has AD8397 opamp.

Here's the link to the amp in Head-Direct's Chinese netshop:
http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=18254902424&pos=2&uuid=b3db0229-1c86-43c4-8834-90f57725336c&scm=1003.3.03054.1_AB-LR32-PR32&acm=03054.1003.1.44.18254902424_1&tbpm=3

Google translate calls it HiFiMAN HM-901 8397 amp card Original Genuine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back