HM-901
Nov 17, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #3,241 of 3,522
I tried downloading again, and noticed the second time took much longer than the first. Firmware is updated! Thank you all.

Nov 19, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #3,242 of 3,522
I bought this line out jack. Works fine with 901, I can use my own cables now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZY-HIFI-Cable-HIFIMAN-HM-901-HM-802-line-out-dock-ZY-070/251691195197?_trksid=p3693.c100102.m2452&_trkparms=aid%3D333008%26algo%3DRIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140212121249%26meid%3D97076681b4e142ae9dc32db4430dd3dc%26pid%3D100102%26prg%3D20140212121249%26rkt%3D4%26

Nov 19, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #3,243 of 3,522
With the supplied cables being so short I use this http://m.richersounds.com/#!/product/camb-aud300-couplers which allows you just plug in any interconnect, the 901 seems to like my Nordost Red Dawns !

Nov 19, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #3,244 of 3,522
I also have a set of RCA couplers and have used my RCA cables to the desktop headphone amp. However, I found it inconvenient since my RCA cables are only 1 meter (3ft) and they are relatively heavy in connection to the HM-901. Since I already got a 3 meter long RCA to mini stereo jack cable, I also got the LOD / plug. I ordered directly from their home page (see the other HM-901 thread).

Nov 19, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #3,245 of 3,522
Have they ever given a reason as to why their cables are so short? Its just silly
I have a 3m rca interconnect from qed I need to find, would be ideal, though hirez on 901 does not sound as good as red book on my Linn Ikemi though my main system. So we are not there yet

Nov 19, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #3,246 of 3,522
Have they ever given a reason as to why their cables are so short? Its just silly
I have a 3m rca interconnect from qed I need to find, would be ideal, though hirez on 901 does not sound as good as red book on my Linn Ikemi though my main system. So we are not there yet

I guess it's because the HM901 is a portable player, you can put it right on top of beside your amplifier (portable or desktop one). But I agree, the cable is a bit too short. Would be great if it's 40-50cm long.

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #3,247 of 3,522
Any sign of the dock yet? Santa needs to know

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #3,248 of 3,522
Any sign of the dock yet? Santa needs to know

It's been out in China for some months already, but Hifiman sold out their stock soon after it's released (to market).

But I heard it'd be available again in Hifiman's official store very soon (if not already available).

I'd been waiting for stock for too long, eventually I gave up waiting and bought the EF100 instead, which is surprisingly good when paired with HE560. And its price is about the same as the dock station.

Nov 19, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #3,249 of 3,522
  It's been out in China for some months already, but Hifiman sold out their stock soon after it's released (to market).

But I heard it'd be available again in Hifiman's official store very soon (if not already available).

I'd been waiting for stock for too long, eventually I gave up waiting and bought the EF100 instead, which is surprisingly good when paired with HE560. And its price is about the same as the dock station.

I have had a dock for some time now. It works well and I like the sound with the buffer on. It provides many options. 

Nov 19, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #3,250 of 3,522
I've been using my new 901 with LCD-X (balanced) and JH-16 the last couple of days. I am using the balanced amp card. Here are some preliminary findings:

-The overall tonal clarity is unmatched by either of the other rigs I've owned. (iPod/JH-3A/Algorhythm Solo, and iPod/HiFi M8)

-The treble and upper mids are a bit bright and sibilant, but this is probably because I'm used to headphone setups that are a bit on the warm side.

-The max volume level is still a bit too low for me with the LCD-X on balanced and high gain setting. I do tend to listen at louder than average volume levels and know that orthos are tougher to drive. My iPod/HiFi M8 combo provides a great mix of adjustable power and clarity for both my phones, and I'm missing that last bit of oomph here.That said, the SQ is the best I've heard on any portable setup.

- On normal and low gain settings,the treble and mids sound crystal clear through the JH-16's, but the bass seems to get muddy, grainy, and slightly distorted at higher volumes. I'm considering getting the IEM card because of this, but I'm now skeptical after reading a post earlier citing the low max volume level with iem's. 

-The center wheel cycles through the menu/options way too slowly. I have a sizeable music collection, and it takes quite a while to get from A-Z. I probably just need to categorize folders by letter with subfolders for artists of said letters.

In summary, the HM-901's DAC(s) with my headphones easily make them the best sounding portable setups I've heard, but the its amp section/card aren't quite up to par. If I could combine the 901's dual Dacs with the Hifi M8's amp, I'd have a big brick of portable audio perfection.

Would that be possible? I ordered the HM-901 usb cable. Not sure if they would be compatible. Would I need a HiFi M8 LX and then be able to use a trs to optical adapter cable?

Nov 19, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #3,251 of 3,522
I have had a dock for some time now. It works well and I like the sound with the buffer on. It provides many options. 

Yeah, those who have used it all like the sound improvement with the dock station. Well, let's see how it goes then.

Nov 20, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #3,252 of 3,522
  I've been using my new 901 with LCD-X (balanced) and JH-16 the last couple of days. I am using the balanced amp card. Here are some preliminary findings:

-The overall tonal clarity is unmatched by either of the other rigs I've owned. (iPod/JH-3A/Algorhythm Solo, and iPod/HiFi M8)

-The treble and upper mids are a bit bright and sibilant, but this is probably because I'm used to headphone setups that are a bit on the warm side.

-The max volume level is still a bit too low for me with the LCD-X on balanced and high gain setting. I do tend to listen at louder than average volume levels and know that orthos are tougher to drive. My iPod/HiFi M8 combo provides a great mix of adjustable power and clarity for both my phones, and I'm missing that last bit of oomph here.That said, the SQ is the best I've heard on any portable setup.

- On normal and low gain settings,the treble and mids sound crystal clear through the JH-16's, but the bass seems to get muddy, grainy, and slightly distorted at higher volumes. I'm considering getting the IEM card because of this, but I'm now skeptical after reading a post earlier citing the low max volume level with iem's. 

-The center wheel cycles through the menu/options way too slowly. I have a sizeable music collection, and it takes quite a while to get from A-Z. I probably just need to categorize folders by letter with subfolders for artists of said letters.

In summary, the HM-901's DAC(s) with my headphones easily make them the best sounding portable setups I've heard, but the its amp section/card aren't quite up to par. If I could combine the 901's dual Dacs with the Hifi M8's amp, I'd have a big brick of portable audio perfection.

Would that be possible? I ordered the HM-901 usb cable. Not sure if they would be compatible. Would I need a HiFi M8 LX and then be able to use a trs to optical adapter cable?

Thanks for your impressions. Happy to know that what I (also) got is so good ...

You must be a loud listener! I get a comfortable level with HE-6 driven by the Balanced amp card ... although I don't consider it to be anything called loud. I sometimes would have liked it to be able to get higher, but I usually don't listen much louder than the max this combo will play.

I don't think the USB cable for the HM-901 features audio output - or am I wrong? This one says it's only for data exchange: https://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=166
There is a S/PDIF output (and input) cable that will feed an external DAC: https://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=170

However, I don't see the point in going that route (digital out to external DAC). If going for a portable double-brick solution, I would rather go line out to an external amp.

I hope that HiFiMan launches a HQ discrete amp card for the HM-901 - a card that will be so good in SQ that we won't consider portable amps at all. Desktop amps is another story.

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #3,253 of 3,522
Hi fellow headfiers i have been interested in getting the HM-901 for sometime now, and reading through all the previous posts provided new information that HM-901s is about to be released. Can someone shed some light into this information? Also, could someone provide more information about the dock? Thanks

Nov 24, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #3,254 of 3,522
  Hi fellow headfiers i have been interested in getting the HM-901 for sometime now, and reading through all the previous posts provided new information that HM-901s is about to be released. Can someone shed some light into this information? Also, could someone provide more information about the dock? Thanks

Few people have the dock here and no one knows when the S will be out.

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #3,255 of 3,522
Few people have the dock here and no one knows when the S will be out.

Is the S also balanced? I wish there would be a new 627 player, but I guess my 801 is holding up just fine :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back