HM-901
Mar 1, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #2,626 of 3,522
I do that all the time and don't notice a difference in the 5-6Hr battery life either running SE or Balanced.  

FYI typical battery life with my amp cards I experienced:
Balanced - 5.5hr
Discrete - 7hr
Angel - 8hr
Minibox - 8hr
IEM - 9hr
Classic - 10hr
Old stock (8397 card) - 11 hr

Note these are NOT battery TEST numbers but just real life usage experience with various bit rate, file types, screen/UI usage etc.
Apart from the discrete we already talked about, any of these sound as good as the balanced?

Mar 2, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #2,627 of 3,522
Hi.
I wait until all the issues about QC are overcome,so as to buy one 901.You see I am very far away,and it is not easy to send back the player,as there are not any dealers here.
For now,I have the good old 801,which is rock stable and run.
Also,I try to understand what about the many different cards,so as to buy the one which is good for me.
I think I will use 901 with my IEMs,which are Westone UM3X,Fischer Audio DBA-02,plus one pair of Yuin PK1.
Theodore.

Mar 2, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #2,628 of 3,522
I would have to send my unit from Norway to China if something went wrong with mine. So far I haven't had anything to speak of after about half a year.

Having had the 801 for several years, it was easy for me to decide the Balanced amp. It's the amp that will drive anything from HE-6 to super sensitive IEMs, so I don't need amp card switching.

Mar 2, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #2,629 of 3,522
Hi Lars.
Thank you for your respond.I keep in mind your suggestion.
Theodore.
PS.Can you say two words, about a 801 vs 901 compare?

Mar 2, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #2,630 of 3,522
Sonically the 801 has warm mids and a slightly rolled off highs. This makes it sound "analog" and musical. It also has a slight bass boost IME.

The 901 is more transparent and neutral and it's quite dynamic too. Sound sources appears to be closer than from the 801, but I think this is because the rolled off highs in the 801 makes sounds appear more distant than they actually are.

Even though the 901s UI is far from perfect, I like it better than the 801s. Cover art is not perfectly presented, but it's there as opposed to the complete absence in the 801.

As I have said before the drawbacks with the 801 like output impedance (10-32 Ohms depending on amp card), channel imbalance at low volume and no 88.2kHz support are all fixed in the 901. It also supports a much wider variety of file types.

To me it was certainly worth upgrading, and I consider it an upgrade in several ways.

Mar 2, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #2,631 of 3,522
Thank you very much Lars.
Theodore.
Edit.
I went to mp4audio.de,where  I bought 801 from,and saw all those cards,so I was confused.
If I am to use the DAP with my IEMS,ie Westone UM3X,Fischer Audio DBA-O2,plus a pair of Yuin PK1, with their 150 ohm resistance,which of these card should I bought with?
Theodore.

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #2,633 of 3,522
  Thank you very much Lars.
Theodore.
Edit.
I went to mp4audio.de,where  I bought 801 from,and saw all those cards,so I was confused.
If I am to use the DAP with my IEMS,ie Westone UM3X,Fischer Audio DBA-O2,plus a pair of Yuin PK1, with their 150 ohm resistance,which of these card should I bought with?
Theodore.

I don't know anything about the specific IEMs you mention, but if you plan using it exclusively with IEMs, I would assume the IEM card would be your best bet. It should have enough power to drive most if not all IEMs. Note that I have only heard the 901 with Balanced amp card myself.

Mar 2, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #2,634 of 3,522

I don't know anything about the specific IEMs you mention, but if you plan using it exclusively with IEMs, I would assume the IEM card would be your best bet. It should have enough power to drive most if not all IEMs. Note that I have only heard the 901 with Balanced amp card myself.

Hi again Lars,and thank you for your response.
You use the Balanced amp card,with single ended,or balanced  headphones ,because I don't like to carry huge wires on the go,so I like single ended solutions.
Regards.

Mar 2, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #2,635 of 3,522

Hi again Lars,and thank you for your response.
You use the Balanced amp card,with single ended,or balanced  headphones ,because I don't like to carry huge wires on the go,so I like single ended solutions.
Regards.

No huge wires or anything. In fact, with the balanced card, you can use fully what is already in most headphone cables - all 4 wires - for greatest power delivery and channel separation. The TRRS jack is no more bulky than a TRS jack :)
The only caveat is re-terminating your current headphones with TRRS.

Mar 2, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #2,636 of 3,522
  Do we get re terminated custom iem cable for JH13's , if so who selss them.

The answer would be yes, but I don't have experience with the JH13. Perhaps if you live in USA you can call Moon Audio or BTG audio for their services in retermination.

Mar 2, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #2,637 of 3,522

I find with my IEMs, the IEM am card works best. Of course, the issue iof synergy s relevant. Mimouille has found that his SE5 works better with the balanced card. For my Fitears, I find the best results are with the IEM card. So, do try your IEMs out with the two cards, if you have the opportunity. :)

Mar 2, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #2,638 of 3,522
As a do all amp card is the balance card of equal or better quality than the IEM card if used to drive iems?

For myself on my IEMs, I find that the IEM card is better than the balanced card run SE. Going between the two cards, I find the balanced card less detailed and a bit heavy handed. I tend to only use my balanced card with my balanced IEMs.:D

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #2,639 of 3,522
I find with my IEMs, the IEM am card works best. Of course, the issue iof synergy s relevant. Mimouille has found that his SE5 works better with the balanced card. For my Fitears, I find the best results are with the IEM card. So, do try your IEMs out with the two cards, if you have the opportunity.
smily_headphones1.gif

The SE5 could be a special case...they have 135ohms of impedance, so that might come into play...

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #2,640 of 3,522

The SE5 could be a special case...they have 135ohms of impedance, so that might come into play...

What about the Westone UM3X and Fischer Audio DBA-02,as for the convenient card for them?For the Yuin PK1,I am sure that they need the Balanced card,because of their 150 Ohm resistance.The same for my Sennheiser 600 and a pair of old  AKG 240, I think.
If I want to use the balanced card putting the correct cable to the Sennheisers and the Westones,can you suggest how  to obtain it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back