HM-801 Standard Amplifier Module Op-amp Free Upgrade
Aug 18, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #16 of 99

Quote:
Hang on you buy a portable player to buy full sized cans? That makes sense?
blink.gif

I'll be using my HM-801 on the go and at home equally. I'll be pairing it with a portable amp while at home, but if I didn't need to that'd be cool...

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #17 of 99

Quote:
Hang on you buy a portable player to buy full sized cans? That makes sense?
blink.gif

or vice versa ~ oh well , you know what i mean lol

i using it to drive ultrasone pro 900 and i m on the look out to collect sony SA5000 and yeah, these two r complete opposite phones and i like my phones to serve different purpose thats why

Aug 20, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #18 of 99
Does this upgrade remove the OPA627 opamp, or are there multiple opamps inside the HM-801?  I'm confused, because I thought all HM-801 players used the OPA627 opamp, but Fang said "the OP275 opamp will be replaced with OPA2107."

Aug 20, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #21 of 99

Quote:
The OPA627 is the buffer after the DAC. Its not in the amplifier section.

Ahh ok, thanks for clarifying that.  I had thought that the OPA627 was the opamp.  So, I'm assuming that this new amp will have lower gain for IEMs but still drive full-size headphones well?  Has anyone received their new amp card yet, and if so can you confirm this?

Aug 20, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #22 of 99
I just received my replacement HM-801.  Took a few weeks to figure out what the hold up was (turns out I had to pay the $30 shipping fee even though I sent my player back a few weeks before this upgrade was announced).  But the shipping from China was lightning fast, it got to me in New York in 2 days.

The volume control from the headphone out seems better with my JH16s, I can listen at a fairly low volume without channel imbalance.  But it's not quite right, I'd like to be able to listen even lower--there is still some channel imbalance if you get to really soft volumes.  And I'm not talking about whisper soft, these are still volumes I would want to listen at in a quiet room. 

I still also hear a high pitched noise when I pick up the player and angle it certain ways, it's really only audible when there's no music playing or during quiet passages of music.  Can't tell whether there's RF interference yet.

These 2 things make me wonder whether the amp was actually replaced in my unit, or if the difference in gain with the new amp is not that significant.  Can anyone else who receives their replacement amp and has JH13/16s please offer their observations?

Sound quality is superb though, same as before.

Aug 21, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #23 of 99

Quote:
The volume control from the headphone out seems better with my JH16s, I can listen at a fairly low volume without channel imbalance.  But it's not quite right, I'd like to be able to listen even lower--there is still some channel imbalance if you get to really soft volumes.  And I'm not talking about whisper soft, these are still volumes I would want to listen at in a quiet room. 

The channel imbalance at low level seems to be an inevitable drawback of analog volume control (wich is supposed to be better than digital one).
Now I'm using the game amp (designed for iem) :I still only use 20% of the volume knob and I still have an imbalance at low volume, but nothing very annoying imo.

I have also tried the 1st "high gain" stock amp and the 2nd "low gain" version :
On the "high gain", the imbalance is really a disturbing issue for sensitive iem.
On the "low gain" one, imbalance is still there but should not be an issue, except maybe if you listen to heavily compressed music
In the other hand, I had the "clicking noise when playing off SD card" you describe with the "low gain"... NOT with the "high gain" one.
I believe it's one of the reasons of recalling amp cards.

About what amp card version you have, somebody may help you if you post a picture of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back