HM-801 Standard Amplifier Module Op-amp Free Upgrade
Aug 26, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #31 of 99
I received my upgraded amp today too! I'm happy to report there is a significant improvement in sound quality, especially in treble part. Overall it's more detailed, more balanced than the pre-upgrade amp. The original amp is so bad (treble roll off) that I did not even bother to ship it with tracked delivery for upgrade :)
A quick listen shows the upgraded amp is on par, if not better, than my Graham Slee Voyage. Finally I no longer need to drag an amp with my HM801 :).

BTW: turn-around for UK customer is about 2 weeks (need to ship to China)

John

Aug 26, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #34 of 99
I found the new version 2.0 amp to be way better than the original ST also more laid back and refined no hiss with somewhat better bass control  overall i feel that the GAME module is superior to the v.2.0 but not by leaps and bounds as before.

Aug 27, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #35 of 99
Interesting. I didn't find the difference between ST v1 and GAME to be 'leaps and bounds'.  They were very close in their sound I just prefered GAME due to its lower gain.  Technically, the ST is superior in terms of design then GAME, so I'm excited to try V2.0

Aug 27, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #37 of 99

Quote:
I thought the opamps in the game were supposed to be better. Am I wrong on that?

The GAME is supposed to sound better than any of the STs for the exact reasons you give.  I don't know what Fang has to say about it, but the GAME is suppose to sound better (all I was saying some folks reported not an order of magnitude better).

Aug 28, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #39 of 99
I confirmed that I did receive the 2.0 amp card in my replacement player.  The clicking sound during quiet passages of music (when playing off the SD card) is now gone, but like I noted in my last post, the gain could still be a little lower with my JH16s. 

I'd like to hear any more impressions about how the 2.0 card compares to the GAME card.  Even if the sound quality is similar, but the GAME card has much better volume control for sensitive IEMs, I think I'll have to get it.  I realize that the HM-801 is meant to be able to power full-size cans, but I think that most people planned to use it with high-end custom IEMs.  And for this purpose, IMO, the 2.0 card could still use some improvement.  I don't think we should have to buy another card just to get the proper gain.  But overall the HM-801 is an awesome product and I'm happy with how Fang and his customer service have supported it.

Now if we can just get a firmware update with gapless playback and navigation by folder (for songs that aren't ID tagged), the HM-801 would be nearly perfect.

Aug 28, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #40 of 99
IMO the SQ improvement from the upgraded amp is a no brainer. Just send your amp for an upgrade before 1st September, you won't be disappointed. I heard all new HM-801s will ship with the new amp by default.
John

Aug 28, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #41 of 99

Quote:
I confirmed that I did receive the 2.0 amp card in my replacement player.  The clicking sound during quiet passages of music (when playing off the SD card) is now gone, but like I noted in my last post, the gain could still be a little lower with my JH16s. 

I'd like to hear any more impressions about how the 2.0 card compares to the GAME card.  Even if the sound quality is similar, but the GAME card has much better volume control for sensitive IEMs, I think I'll have to get it.  I realize that the HM-801 is meant to be able to power full-size cans, but I think that most people planned to use it with high-end custom IEMs.  And for this purpose, IMO, the 2.0 card could still use some improvement.  I don't think we should have to buy another card just to get the proper gain.  But overall the HM-801 is an awesome product and I'm happy with how Fang and his customer service have supported it.

Now if we can just get a firmware update with gapless playback and navigation by folder (for songs that aren't ID tagged), the HM-801 would be nearly perfect.

I will be doing this comparo as well very shortly!  I have the ST 2.0 card so no need for upgrade but I am going to try the GAME card which supposedly sounds a lot better.

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #42 of 99
someone should make a comparison in depth.30$+shipping to china(another 20$ or more) doesnt make it FREE upgrade imo.

maybe waiting for true high end amp module for non iem will be better choice.

Aug 28, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #44 of 99

Quote:
Its 30.00 total

That's probably Fang's cost on this give or take.  I doubt he is making loads of money on this.  It WOULD HAVE BEEN nice for a simple trade-in program but HiFiMan is a small company to take this kind of loss.

GAME module arrives hopefully by the end of next week for a little comparo to ST v2.0.

Aug 28, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #45 of 99

Quote:
IMO the SQ improvement from the upgraded amp is a no brainer. Just send your amp for an upgrade before 1st September, you won't be disappointed. I heard all new HM-801s will ship with the new amp by default.
John

Just to clarify, I have the 2.0 card (i.e. the $30 upgrade amp), I was asking for comparisons between that and the GAME (designed for IEMs) amp. 

Also, is anyone else hearing a high pitched ringing noise whenever you pick up the HM-801 by the top (near the amp)?  Do you get this sound with the GAME amp too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back