HM-801 Standard Amplifier Module Op-amp Free Upgrade
Aug 4, 2010 at 9:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 99

Nankai

Sponsor: HiFiMAN
$30 shipping cost Purchase link

*Free upgrading program will be expired on Sept 1st, 2010
*Standard Card was designed for both fullsize headphones and earphones.

We will use the upgraded standard HM-801 amplifier module from now on. We will help our previous customers upgrade the old HM-801 Standard Amplifier Module in the next three weeks. Customers need to pay shipping cost, then ship the old amplifier card with the printed shipping cost paypal email to us. After receiving the old standard card and printed paypal email from our customer, we will upgrade OPAMP from OP275 to OPA2107, then ship them back again via USPS (in US) or internatianl express mail. Upgrading period will be about 3 to 4 weeks. The upgraded amplifier is much better than original card: better high / low and more detail.

If you are in US or Canda, please ship via USPS or your local carrier service to:

Head-Direct Corporation
41-70 Main Street  #B3-326
Flushing, NY 11355
USA

If you are international customer, please ship to:

Kewei Liu
36 Hubei Road, 5-3-202
Xuzhou, Jiangsu Prov, 221006
China PR
Tel: 516-85799701

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Aug 4, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #2 of 99
I note that your US address is in Flushing.  Seeing as I live in East Williamsburg, it would be much easier for me to actually GO to flushing, and trade it out in person.  Would you guys be cool with that?

Aug 4, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 99
Fang,

I shipped my HM-801 to your customer service rep in Flushing last week, because the player was too loud with my JH16 IEMs even at the lowest volumes, and I was hoping to receive an opamp with low gain. 

I just want to clarify that the upgraded opamp you are referring to will be installed in my player?  Also, I thought all HM-801 players used the OPA627 opamp, but you're saying the OP275 opamp will be replaced with OPA2107?  Is this the upgrade you have already been doing for some HM-801 owners who sent their players back due to the high gain problem?

Thank you for any clarification you can provide.

Aug 8, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #6 of 99
Please, could someone clarify whether high impedance headphone users (eg Senn HD600/HD800) should upgrade ? Will there be a difference in audio or is the upgrade mostly intended for earphone users ?

The statement that is troubling me in the original post is "*Standard Card was designed for both fullsize headphones and earphones" (as if the new card is not designed for full-sized headphones).

Thank you in advance.

Aug 8, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #7 of 99
I would also like to know if the upgrade can still drive fullsize.  Also, how does the upgrade compare to the GAME Amp Card?  If you have the GAME Card or plan to get it + you still want an amp to drive fullsize...should you upgrade?

Aug 9, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #8 of 99

Quote:
Please, could someone clarify whether high impedance headphone users (eg Senn HD600/HD800) should upgrade ? Will there be a difference in audio or is the upgrade mostly intended for earphone users ?

The statement that is troubling me in the original post is "*Standard Card was designed for both fullsize headphones and earphones" (as if the new card is not designed for full-sized headphones).

Thank you in advance.

X2.

I would really like to know more...

Aug 17, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #9 of 99
Hello - for everyone interested, here is Fang's reply to my PM :

>Hello Fang,

>

> A few months ago I have purchased the HM-801. I've noticed you're offering a free op-amp upgrade for the standard amplifier module. I am using both the Sennheiser HD-800 and HD-650

> headphones with the HM-801.

>

> Will there be a sonic improvement with full-sized headphones, such as these two, with this upgrade or is it only recommended for low-impedance earphones ?

>

> Thank you for your time

it will be a improvement for both fullsize and IEM.

Aug 17, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #11 of 99
Hi Petercak - no problem. Considering that the free upgrade deadline is only two weeks away, I thought it would be best if I sent Fang a PM.

I assume he must either be very busy or on holidays; either way, I have already posted my amp module to be upgraded. It is really nice of him to offer this facility in the first place. Wish more audio equipment manufacturers were like him.

Aug 18, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #12 of 99
It is nice of Fang, but in my honest opinion I think he should have recalled all existing inventory of HM-801s and replaced the amp cards on them a while ago.  I bought my HM-801 only about a month ago, and it didn't have the low gain amp card despite the statement on the Head-Direct website that all HM-801s were now set for low gain.

Many of us are using sensitive IEMs, and the clicking noise when playing off SD cards and the high gain made the player impossible to use (for me) in quiet environments.  I had to use the line out with an external amp to get better volume control, and I can't remember whether that fixed the clicking problem either.

It's taken almost a month, but my HM-801 is apparently on its way back with the new amp card.  It wasn't a totally pleasant experience, but it seems that Fang and his US customer service rep has helped me out.  Head-Direct seems to make great products, but I'm hoping for a little more communication and clarity next time. 

Anyway, thank you Fang for dealing with this problem, and for shipping out my replacement somewhat promptly.

Aug 18, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #13 of 99

Quote:
It is nice of Fang, but in my honest opinion I think he should have recalled all existing inventory of HM-801s and replaced the amp cards on them a while ago.  I bought my HM-801 only about a month ago, and it didn't have the low gain amp card despite the statement on the Head-Direct website that all HM-801s were now set for low gain.

Many of us are using sensitive IEMs, and the clicking noise when playing off SD cards and the high gain made the player impossible to use (for me) in quiet environments.  I had to use the line out with an external amp to get better volume control, and I can't remember whether that fixed the clicking problem either.

It's taken almost a month, but my HM-801 is apparently on its way back with the new amp card.  It wasn't a totally pleasant experience, but it seems that Fang and his US customer service rep has helped me out.  Head-Direct seems to make great products, but I'm hoping for a little more communication and clarity next time. 

Anyway, thank you Fang for dealing with this problem, and for shipping out my replacement somewhat promptly.

you are really asking for perfection, there is no fault of the 801 player why recalled (let alone all of them ? its not a Toyata)?? consider many of us also like to use it to drive full size can instead of just IEM, also music to the ear is all different to every one~ so far few people heard it and fang also said it is a better upgrade, but what if you changed it but you decide the old one actually sound better than new one base on the chip ?? its a possibility there. so some might want to keep the old amp card if you do not want to upgrade

i m not sure about the timing of their statement and the timing of your purchase , so i dont know . but i am hoping they continue to improve and make you a happy customer next time

Aug 18, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #14 of 99
Quote:
<snip> consider many of us also like to use it to drive full size can instead of just IEM <snip>

Hang on you buy a portable player to buy full sized cans? That makes sense?
blink.gif

Aug 18, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #15 of 99
I can understand why Fang may have let Headroom keep some of the old HM-801 stock, because there are people who only use full-size headphones or only planned to use the line-out to another amp.  But I think a majority of users planned to use the player portably, which generally means with sensitive IEMs like the JH13/16s.  And obviously, it's not a small number of people who have been asking for a low gain amp card, since this exchange program exists.

In retrospect, I should've ordered directly from Head-Direct, because presumably their stock already had the amp cards replaced.  But before I ordered, I asked Fang to clarify whether Headroom may still have old stock HM-801s with the high gain amp card.  I didn't get a clear answer, and the result is that I'll have to wait over a month to get back what I was originally expecting:  a player that I can use with my JH16s at low volume and no channel imbalance (and of course no audible clicking noises during quiet passages in songs).

The product itself is of top notch quality, and I can't wait to get it back.  I don't mean to cause any trouble, but I just wanted to share my experiences and hopefully encourage better communication next time. 

Again, thank you Fang for making such a great product and for realizing the need for the amp exchange program.  I hope you continue to support the HM-801 with firmware updates and useful amp card upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back