HM-801 Standard Amplifier Module Op-amp Free Upgrade
Sep 28, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #61 of 99
Ever heard of a thing called postage costs?

Example. Here I'll give you this CD for free, if you can get it from me without me having to spend more (any) money... what are you going to do - carrier pigeons?

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #62 of 99
If I had spent before $800 on a product that didn't deliver what was expected at first, I would expect them to be more forgiving, right?

Quote:
Ever heard of a thing called postage costs?

Example. Here I'll give you this CD for free, if you can get it from me without me having to spend more (any) money... what are you going to do - carrier pigeons?

Sep 29, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #63 of 99
the original 801 delivered , the new amp card is only offered because Head-direct want to make sure there will be notice-able difference / upgrade from the sister product 602 ~ to signify the price difference 801 customer paid compare to 602

saying original 801 not delivering would be insult to many other senior head-fier who reviewed 801 with favorable views ~ more so, some 801 owner prefer to keep the old card and purchase the new card

Quote:
If I had spent before $800 on a product that didn't deliver what was expected at first, I would expect them to be more forgiving, right?

Sep 29, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #64 of 99
I have used the upgraded ST card and the game card for some weeks now
(and before that, the 2 older ST card, high and low gain)

The upgraded ST (wich I prefer not to call "V2", has older ones already have V2.0 printed on the circuitboard) is for sure an improvement. It also has a quite different sound signature. The older ST is slightly on the warm side, the new one is much more "flat", with firmer bass and extended / thicker highs.

Comparing with the game is more difficult and I'm sure it will be a matter of taste and adequation with your IEM.
To me, the Game card sound signature is more like the old ST, but it delivers it in a more musical way, with greater details, control, and definition.
After being quite supprised by the performance (and new sound) of the upgraded ST, I'm back on the Game card now, for it's more "delicate" sound.

If you like classical music, jazz, accoustic music and the sound of true instruments, the game would probably be your choice.
If you prefer a more flat and forward sound at the expense of a slight boldness, the ST is for you
wink.gif

Well, just my subjective impressions, it may also vary depending on your IEM.

Sep 29, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #65 of 99
Perhaps I'm missing something, but my experience with the new amp card so far has been really poor.  I use pretty much exclusively Livewires TRIPS for listening on the go with this player, and I still find it gets way too loud too quickly (maybe a fifth of the volume knob is ever usable, even when listening to material with extremely low pres) and nothing sounds natural.  Bass feels bloated, there's bizarre, grating sibilance on a lot of instruments, especially piano, imaging feels very muddy and the detail retrieval is not quite what it used to be.  Are my headphones just too low impedance? (22 ohms).  I know it's not the phones themselves because they sound excellent out of a TTVJ slim I've been using with an iPod Classic as an interim solution while I waited for the upgraded card. 

Sep 30, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #66 of 99
so far from what i heard most of the complains towards that hifiman being too loud against sensitive IEM ?

from a business strategy point of view, this could be easily solve by include a high impedance adaptor ? its a compromise but cheaper solution compare to a much difficult implementation of different amp card option ~ as the amp card option would affect the logistic, inventory, cost and marketing direction..... there will only be more complain if the later option is offered(amp card i mean) consistency of overall customer experience is very important as you do not want to confuse your customer.

compare to time consumed in communication and postage involved in warranty service due to misunderstanding or different expectation of the performance!!
since regardless of the adaptor ~ the hifiman performs and delivered while amp card is for diffferent sound signature if you want to try different taste ?

consider it as the rubber case to the iphone 4 ~ it should only make the hifiman experience even better ! who dont love free stuff that shows the thoughtfull gesture of a company?

of course i mean this only need for future ~~ as i have not experience issues such as channel in balance or  too loud etc so far like few other 801 owners

Quote:
Perhaps I'm missing something, but my experience with the new amp card so far has been really poor.  I use pretty much exclusively Livewires TRIPS for listening on the go with this player, and I still find it gets way too loud too quickly (maybe a fifth of the volume knob is ever usable, even when listening to material with extremely low pres) and nothing sounds natural.  Bass feels bloated, there's bizarre, grating sibilance on a lot of instruments, especially piano, imaging feels very muddy and the detail retrieval is not quite what it used to be.  Are my headphones just too low impedance? (22 ohms).  I know it's not the phones themselves because they sound excellent out of a TTVJ slim I've been using with an iPod Classic as an interim solution while I waited for the upgraded card. 

Oct 10, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #67 of 99

Quote:
I have the v2.0 version as well. I would like to get the upgraded original amp to compare, see attached pic I received from another member.

Well, I'm a little bit confused now ...
I got my Hifiman two weeks ago and it should have the upgraded Amp.

It looks like the right one above and not like the one posted here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/505563/hm-801-standard-amplifier-module-op-amp-free-upgrade#post_6832276

Main difference are the numbers on these 4 cylindrical components.
Both pics show something which states V 2.0, but the numbers on the components differ.
Something Chinese 220 10V in one case and e7 100 16Z in the other pic ...

Which one is the new one ?
confused_face(1).gif

Oct 10, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #68 of 99

Quote:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/505563/hm-801-standard-amplifier-module-op-amp-free-upgrade#post_6832276

Both pics show something which states V 2.0, but the numbers on the components differ.

confused_face(1).gif

xabu, you are just very confused these days,

There are three amps:

v1.0 ST (originally shipped)
v2.0 ST (currently shipped with new units and upgraded for $30 bucks to cover shipping/handling costs, currently pictured on the right of the picture)
high-end GAME module (Its $160 I think off the website which is pictured above on the left)

Your ST amp version is on the amp.

Oct 10, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #69 of 99

Quote:

...Trogdor, that's an even more confusing statement
biggrin.gif
... (see below)

But you said the one on the right is the upgraded one, which means I have the upgraded one ...

Would be nice if it were possible to buy the old ST one too though ... 
rolleyes.gif

(... and the one pictured in the linked post ? it states also V2.0 ... but has different components ... or is this V2.0 the ST V1.0
blink.gif
...)

Oct 10, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #70 of 99
Just my 2 cents to clarify :

- Upgraded ST card has nothing to do with the V2.0 printed in the circuit board (I had an V2.0 not upgraded, now back from the upgrade, no visible difference, beside the sound !)
- The numbers xabu is refering to has nothing to do with the OPamp change (it's capacitors !).

If your HM801 has been purchased before Fang decided to change OPamp, then you have the old one, that all... (you can also refer to the QC date tag on the PCB)

Oct 10, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #71 of 99
On the date tag the big 10 (2010) and the little 8 (August) are ticked .

Since Nankai made his statement "We will use the upgraded standard HM-801 amplifier module from now on..." on 4th of August, there would be a slight chance that it is the old one ...

Otherwise, since I purchased on 26th of September (some time after his statement) it should be the new one (... perhaps they build none in September ...
wink_face.gif
)

Oct 11, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #72 of 99

Quote:

confused_face(1).gif

Quote:
xabu, you are just very confused these days,

There are three amps:

v1.0 ST (originally shipped)
v2.0 ST (currently shipped with new units and upgraded for $30 bucks to cover shipping/handling costs, currently pictured on the right of the picture)
high-end GAME module (Its $160 I think off the website which is pictured above on the left)

Correct, at least that is my understanding. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back