History of the AKG K1000?
Nov 27, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #316 of 392
@hrklg01
I do own a AKG K1000 S.No.: 019xx, purchased 10/1990, so very likely from the 1st batch.
The drivers and frames look original in all details front and back, like the pictures in this posting below, so it's very probable that these were never replaced.
Wood box is black.
I've had the bass light version of these headphones for 5 years and always wondered how the bass heavy one sounds. And so I bought one. The serial number was 13XX. It looked like new, no any signs of use whatsoever, like it was made not 20 years but yesterday. But from the first seconds of the test track there were obvious rattle sounds as mentioned in this thread before. So I took it apart and the glue that was used to keep the driver and the plate together was in a horrible condition. I barely pull the diaphragm and it came unstuck on one of the edges. So, I used the glue method introduced by hrklg01 http://www.head-fi.org/t/57805/history-of-the-akg-k1000/180#post_10593906 . And It was improved drastically but not completely. Now I think that almost every old pair of the К1000 is some way affected by this problem (that guy for the Flagship battle tried 7 pairs).
A few years ago there was a thread where Fitz took some pictures of the drivers and differences between but now unfortunately they're all gone. So I decided to take a few photos if someone is interested. Left is 1xxx, right is 8xxx.

As you can see, first, the plates below are totally different. Also there is a difference in the material of the driver. The later version is more transparent and the pattern of the bubbles is different. In addition to it the coating on the early is smoother.
At the right corner you can see the grid with two holes. They keep the driver plate and the rotary part of the headband together. On the early pair AKG used the glue instead of it.

The back of the driver also is not the same. First of all, the opening of the old versions is a little bigger. There are overlaps on the round basket. Another important difference is the voice coil on the early pair is not protected in any way, and it's very easy to tear it. So, if you want to disassemble your pair, you need to be very careful. On the later version is not a problem because is conected from the front.

The difference in the sound is also very obvious. You don't need even to compare them side by side.
First of all, actually, it's not the bass. The most striking difference is the medium and high frequencies. The later pair is much brighter. Sometimes it's a plus. When you listen to it quietly it sounds much more emotional and it seems more detailed. But if you want to listen louder it can become harsh and very bright.
Second, The early pair has much more bass. It's still as a matter of fact not "bass heavy". But the difference is significant. Maybe 3 or even 6 dB.
But:
These are my measurements, showing a resonant frequency of 68 Hz opposed to you often mentioning a much lower 35 Hz (see below)- any explanation?
Do the diaphrag materials become stiffer over time?
How is your own sample measuring today?

... However: The K1000 is a very simple dynamic system with a very very low Q-factor. This implement, that the fundamental resonance frequency is offering the low frequency level only. I case of the K1000 it was originally designed to 25Hz and of course below would be a slope of 12 dB / octave. The problem was, that to manufacture those dynamic drivers, it would be needed much higher precision than at that time was available. Otherwise the fall off rate would be high. Therfore - after my leave from AKG - it was decided, to move the f0 to 35 and later to 40Hz. Ths means approx. 10 dB less fundamental bass level. Therefore it is very important when you compare comments from other users of the K1000 that you inform yourself from which production date it is...
BR heinz

I have to mention that this K1000 sounds good, and does not have any buzz problems, glue looks fine.

AKG K1000 S.No. 019xx Impedance Plot:
IMG_1365.PNG

AKG K1000 S.No. 019xx Frequency Response: Bruel&Kjaer Artificial Ear 4143; Freefield 1cm in front of the grid.
IMG_1370.jpg

I have collected measurements published from various sources in the internet and they results are in the same range like the ones above, from mine.

IMG_1371.JPG
IMG_1373.jpg
IMG_1369.JPG
IMG_1367.JPG
IMG_1368.PNG

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #317 of 392
Hello KaiSc,

This very old post in the K1000 thread you mentioned, was meant differently and very much leading to confusions if reading not in the complete context. Sorry for that originally written in year 2012!

With 25Hz as original target of the K1000 was meant the -10dB point measured relative to the SPL at 1kHz.

The target resonance frequency was 50Hz during the development phase of the K1000. "Bass light" products much later had a f0 of 85Hz.
My personal old product has still a f0 of 65Hz.
So your measurements are accurate and you own obviously a "bass heavy" version of the K1000.

BR heinz

Heinz, thank you very much for this valuable information, finally clearing things up.
This is much better for identification of the bass heavy version than looking at the color of the box the AKG K-1000 is delivered in :ksc75smile:.

Now with this information at hand a simple objective measurement can show if one's got the AKG K-1000 bass light or bass heavy version.

Feb 28, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #320 of 392
Mar 1, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #323 of 392
I"m still LOVIN' my 'black box" K 1000!

Mar 1, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #325 of 392
It sure is! :)

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #326 of 392
My 1957 recording of Rach 3 with Byron Janis, Munch, and the Boston Symphony has some certain amount of hiss coming through - but the instruments are never more tactile, the piano runs more exquisitely decipherable, the brass more present in front of me, than with that K1000 magic.

Oct 15, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #327 of 392
Oct 15, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #329 of 392
I"m still LOVIN' my 'black box" K 1000!
same here my friend, the king is NOT dead, long live the king! K1000 will reign eternally in the realm of classical music alongside the arcane king Stax SR Sigma, blessing the modern princes mySphere and Raal SR1a.

Herr Renner and Herr Ryback, Danke!

господине Radisavljević, хвала вам!

Hayashi-san, ありがとう!

Thanks to these masters, whose creations show that they have understood a profound truth about electronic sound reproduction: if the distribution of sound in space is not convincing, the music will not be... ear-speaker.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #330 of 392
Thanks for the compliment!

If you experience rub & buzz, it's likely caused by old glue which became brickle over the years.
Also the foam in the middle of the driver become defect.
In those cases I can help and repair....

Don't hesitate to ask me.

Best regards Heinz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back