History of the AKG K1000?
Feb 23, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #301 of 392
Can the AKG1000 cable be easily replaced by a skilled person? Is a specific cable required?

My K1000 has two problems with the cable. The outer isolation on one side has started to peel off, and now recently the contact in the XLR connector has become unreliable on headphone side..

Thanks

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #303 of 392
I just emailed them about a repair. It seems my coil is broken. Both of the wires seem to be attached though.

Please, tell us what they'll answer. 
  Can the AKG1000 cable be easily replaced by a skilled person? Is a specific cable required?

My K1000 has two problems with the cable. The outer isolation on one side has started to peel off, and now recently the contact in the XLR connector has become unreliable on headphone side..

Thanks

It's quite difficult to replace the cable. Here the old article about it - http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/stefanaudioart2/k1000.html

Feb 23, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #304 of 392
I just got a reply, I don't think any k1000s are under warranty.

Hello,

Warranty is 2 years from date of purchase off of your sales receipt, for warranty repair/purpose copy of sales receipt is needed.

Please provide the following information.

•     Name this will be shipped to
•     Address
•     Telephone number
•     Product model number
•     Reason for repair /Problem experiencing with unit
•     Copy of sales receipt

1. With this information I will create and reply with a service notification number and address label to Print & place  on the outside of the box when shipping the unit in for service,

*** Please expect delay in my response with address labels

Thank you

Feb 24, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #305 of 392
OK, i emailed them about out of warranty repairs and got this:

(image missing)
You may submit K1000 in for service for out of warranty repairs, there is a maximum Flat Rate of $ 450.00 per unit + return freight not included (minimum repair Flat Rate  $48.00).

Note: Please keep in mind that due to parts availability we may not be able to repair this Mic/ unit And service time may be longer than our 21 business days lead time.

Sep 9, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #306 of 392
A quick question to all of you who have taken apart their K1000:

How hard is it to re-install the black plastic frame that keeps the wire grills together? What's the main challenge, getting the grills lined up or getting the ends of the frame to snap onto the pins next to the screws?

Sep 10, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #307 of 392
A quick question to all of you who have taken apart their K1000:

How hard is it to re-install the black plastic frame that keeps the wire grills together? What's the main challenge, getting the grills lined up or getting the ends of the frame to snap onto the pins next to the screws?
Neither. First, the black frame is not plastic, but metal. The first challenge is to get it off the grills, etc - because, in order to prevent the dreaded grill buzzing, everything is glued in place using the white wood glue - and prying it off is anything but easy. You will be trying to salvage and reuse the grills... - all while making sure you do not damage the driver or its super sensitive wiring. After getting everything apart, you have to clean the glue residue. Next step would be either cable replacement ( only the very same gauge/thickness as the original can be used ) and/or foam damper replacement.

If you have to solder, use a GOOD soldering iron, with decent TEMPERATURE regulation. You certainly do not want to overheat the pins to which the output cables are soldered at one end - because if you do, the super fine thin wires of the driver proper might unsolder at the other end. If you know how to safely use the crocodile clips in order to cool whatever you are soldering on, now is the time to put this knowledge to practice. If you break the thin wires, most likely consequence will be replacement of the drivers... - with all the expense.

Getting everything together is in the reverse order. You will need large free table to work on, possibly a very patient additional set of hands - and good luck. Applying the white glue as originally used can be quite challenging - as you do not have anything but your sample(s) of K-1000 to "practice" on.

Make 1000 % sure you have downloaded the Service Manual from AKG, have read it and understood what the procedure is well in advance before actually attempting it. As steep as AKG*s repair fees seem to be at first glance, they are not unreasonable - considering the patience and time required, not at all. The worst aspect of K-1000 design is its maintenance/serviceability ; as simple repair as cable replacement ( it will usually fail at/near/inside the cable retention part of the earpiece ) makes one to go trough all of the above - and after opening it, you will realize why the grills are absolutely necessary !

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #310 of 392
Highly unlikely. Harman Kardon has appearently even considered phasing out AKG Acoustics as a brand altogether - prior to itself being acquired by Samsung. Now, AKG will at very least survive as headphones/IEMs paired with Samsung smartphones ( Audio by AKG :https://www.sammobile.com/2017/02/26/future-galaxy-smartphones-will-get-akg-audio/ )
- the last source capable of driving the world's least efficient and most power hungry headphone, the legendary K-1000.

Even the most powerful portable amp in existence, iFi Audio Micro iDSD ( and amp alone containing the same output section , exact name escaping my memory at the moment ) is barely capable of driving the K-1000 to adequate level - if uncompressed recordings are to be played. Compared to 4000+ mW/channel iFi devices put out, anything coming from a smartphone is way too little output for K-1000.

K-1000, even if the production resumed, would have to face the direct competition - by its very creator's new design, Mysphere 3.1 . And, no, the comparison would not have been favourable to the by now almost 30 years old design.

Jan 7, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #312 of 392
IMG_20180107_154658.jpg IMG_20180107_152840.jpg
30mm x 6mm AKG K1000 07XXX

USB microscope
K1000 foam.jpg

http://forum.doctorhead.ru/index.php?app=tutorials&article=293

This might be interesting to some people...

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #313 of 392
Could somebody ponit me to an old mini-review on Head-Fi comparing K1000 soundstage to HD800 soundstage, using a live church or cathedral recording (as I seem to remember). It was quite long and very detailed, I've been searching for days and just can't find it anywhere. Thanks in advance if anybody knows where this is (it definitely exists!).

Nov 20, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #314 of 392
Hello K1000 or K1K owners!

Again, I want to mention that already in year 2014, I was asked by a view guys of you, to develop kind of "follower" of the AKG K1000 based on today's technology.

Nowadays it became reality.
"K1000 upgrade is there and it's called "MYSPHERE 3"

My partners and me invested 2 full years for development time apart from huge investment. (b.t.w. it's one of the shortest development times in this industry based on pure know how)
The supply chain for all parts is fixed (98% EU based) and production capacity is in place in VIenna - Austria (we rump-ed up slowly beginning 2018).

Some details you find there: www.mysphere.at
...including what the press believe about.

Much more interesting may be, what the community here is mentioning about:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mys...gn-build-quality.819658/page-57#post-14601749

Please check this brand-new K1000 upgrade! I'm convinced you would become enthusiastic too! Give them a chance!

Furthermore:
I'm personally very happy to announce at this place first time, that we as LB-acoustics working for MYSPHERE, agreed to partnership with WOO-Audio from now onward for the US market.
This means for you guys living in the USA, you get full exceptional service directly. Just check here:
https://wooaudio.com/headphones/mysphere

BR yours heinz

10149263.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back