Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition Review
Nov 14, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #616 of 1,483
That's a bit mad really. And worrying that I have never
noticed it!

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #617 of 1,483
  That's a bit mad really. And worrying that I have never
noticed it!

Well, if it is strictly a .flac issue, then it's not really much of a worry.  As I mentioned, the only reason I discovered it was that I wanted to listen to the same passage of a track on different sets of phones to see how well they paired.

I have a quick question for those in the know (again, most likely covered previously):

Does converting your .flacs to .wavs help with gapless playback?  There is such a small gap in playback now that it doesn't really bother me, but just wondering if WAV helps - might be another reason to convert my library.

Thanks!

Nov 15, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #618 of 1,483
I have standard Studio V (2nd edition) and become curious about Gignac's findings.

Sure enough using FLAC 16/44 files when I fast forward a little bit the channels reverse, then if I repeat the process they go back to normal. It's not something I've really noticed before as I don't fast forward or rewind tracks, if at all. I think I'm mainly happy it doesn't occur when skipping forward or back a track because that would really bother me personally. The fast forward and rewind I can live with as it lies dormant in my everyday use.

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #619 of 1,483
Hello there, 

being a long time lurker, Head-fi helped me a great deal with choosing my first (and next) serious phones (and source, though I had a iPod Classic 5.5th, which is not bad at all). I would like to thank you for this, you´ve saved me a lot of time (since reading was fun and not a job) and money (which is time, again).

I decided to log in as to post my review of Studio V 3rd Anniversary and possibly engage in some topics when time comes. See my days now are pretty much work with occassional music and tea breaks, which I spent mostly alone, with no mood for talk. 
smily_headphones1.gif

So, here we go:

Thanks to Jack from Hisoundaudio for special „review price“ on Studio V 3rd Anniversary DAP. It was also good dealing with him, having been patient with my delay due to PayPal problems and other.
At first I should note that I am a proud owner of iPod Video 5.5th generation, the one still with nice and crispy Wolfson DAC chip in it. Also, like it or not, you can´t blame Apple for making their gadgets aesthetically unfunctional or delicate. My iPod, though harddrive based, survived several one meter drops either to hard floor (wood, stone) and even concrete. All that is visible after the years (six!) are some rather minor scratches – you can see it´s been used, but I still wouldn´t hesitate to sell/gift it to a good friend without feeling guilty.
Having been satisfied with the build quality and overall form factor, coming to Studio V is even more delightful. I can´t help myself but to call it „a very functional brick“. It´s even better form factor than iPod, as it´s not overly wide, and the added thickness actually feels good in hand. Even the weight is distributed in a way I can´t complain this thing weighs about 140 grams. It´s the same as with my old iPod, yet it feels a little more comfortable due to its shape. And I´ve carried Sansa Clips and 5th gen Nanos to compare. I quite couldn´t imagine a better shape and feel in hands with this DAP. You wouldn´t forget it somewhere unnoticed yet it doesn´t bother you in your pocket.
Studio V also looks very luxurious, as DAP of this quality and price should – my old iPod looked sophisticated and functional, maybe even little geeky (mind you I bought it at a time when more and more flash based razor-thin DAPs were getting into fashion), but not really luxurious. Studio V gets me lots of looks from people in traffic and all my friends are secretly in love with it. Seriously – be it a girl who practices yoga and simple life or techno geek middle aged man – Studio V is somehow neutral but very nice to look at, even with its tiny OLED screen in age of multi-touch large-as-you-can-fit-in-pocket LCDs. Hisound nailed it here for sure.
Having mentioned the screen, I can´t help to love AND hate it at the same time. It´s very usable even in sunlight and in dark, which with the tactile buttons makes the experience very intuitive. But I can´t help but long for choice of smaller fonts or better ID3 tagging display, as sometimes it takes ages to know what you are going to listen to (eg.: „Aphex Twin – Selected Ambient Works vol. II – Rhubarb“ takes a lot of waiting and that´s not overly long track name at all). When I see how much can eg. Rockboxed Clip stuff on a tiny screen, I guess Hisound could put another font or two in there for some of us.
So screen and controls covered, let´s talk UI. To be honest, I was a lot afraid having read all the reviews about it being downright bad. To my surprise I found it rather, say, functional. I am playing tunes in the „Resource manager“ mode, which is similar to Rockbox´s „Files“ mode, because I´ve heard terrible things about Studio´s proprietary „Music“ option.
Coming from Rockboxed Apple´s UI, well, it´s no contest of course (except for Studio´s tactile buttons), but I just miss a thing or two here, than finding myself wanting to change it alltogether. There SHOULD be „back one menu“ button once you play some tune, because it sucks that you have to go back all the way to your folder, especially when you are in for multiple songs by different artists kind of mood! No playlist function as well – I (emphasized) can live with that, but I guess there are a lot of users (a used to be one few years ago, too) who want playlist option and I would say it´s not something overly hard to do on a DAP (though I´m NOT an engineer/programmer). So all in all – UI is functional, but should be really changed just a little. Minimal effort – maximum number of satisfied users.
There is also no EQ option, that is time and again fine with me, but a lot of both casual listeners and audiophiles use it. Well, I guess you can´t have all the comfort of hi-tech DAP in your pocket (the same with uncapability to play hi-res files). I wouldn´t say it´s a fault, it´s a little like bashing Terra player for not playing mp3s. Studio V is concentrated on sound and effectivity, so let´s get to that finally.
Just a little note – Studio V sometimes picks interference from cell phones badly, but sometimes (I don´t know why) not at all, even from the same phone and same environment. However it´s strange that it does so less and less as I travel with it these days. Hmm.

First things first – Studio V 3rd Anniversary NEEDS burn in. At first, I was delighted and puzzled at the same time, having heard the power behing instruments and whole frequency range, but not really precision and distinguished authority. After about 200 hours of burn in (I stopped counting after that), with about every thirty hours sound check, I noticed the range clearing up and frequencies separate. Soundstage cleared up, bass gained authority and nice texture, treble is extended yet not soaring/shouty. This seems like a V signature, but no – it´s more of a very flat DAP with a tiny sparkle and warmth, yet tons of power and authority. I know I´ve used this term several times now, but that is exactly how I feel about Studio V – authority and power. It just makes your output signal´s signature more pronounced.
Pairing it with Etymotic HF5s, you get super-stellar coldness and oh so much detail – but I would say I prefered its´ bass extension coming from old Wolfson on my iPod, which is bassier DAC chip in terms of quantity. Studio extends it some way deeper, but at the same time it looses its´ warmth and body. These babies are very quick though and also their soundstage (together with the „extended silicon tube“ mod) gains surprising wideness to it. The thing that surprised me though was mid-range (esp. vocals), which I used to like more on my HF5s than IE80s. Plugged into Studio V, vocals are still more upfront than IE80s´, but I don´t have that „roll-of-your-own-tongue“ feeling so much now, or I would rather say I´m getting it a little from mids-a-bit-shy (or laid back) IE80s as well now.
Plugging in Sennheiser IE80, this is a weapon of choice. Having read comments IEs sound muddy, they really don´t so with Studio V. They are nicely pronounced and yet laid back, you can easily just use music as a soundtrack to reading etc. (which analytical HF5s wouldn´t allow that easily), or put yourself in full attention mode and gulp all the lush and nicely balanced (you heard that right) sound coming from this pairing. To my surprise (even so coming from Etys) a lot of details! Separation is very nice and soundstage seems more natural, yet still posses that gargantuan feel IE80s are famous for.
However, although dynamic driver in these gives me more natural, organic sound (I would say slower than BA, but no surprise here, it´s their common behavior), BAs in HF5s are still nicer e. g. for already well done ambient new classical music (such as RQTN´s 3200 ISO album) (but then again Desiderii Marginis´ Processions sound much darker than sterile on Senns, which suits the album much more IMO). Sennheisers are really beast that has been tamed by Studio´s power and slightly analytical sound.
After burn-in, Studio V really shines. Rockboxed iPod with FLAC isn´t bad (some days I just grab it cause of quick UI when I´m in hurry and will just need it for 30 or so minutes full of playlists rather than conceptual album listening). But Studio V really hits the sweet spot, it lets your other gear shine. I am curious how it will sound with other IEMs I will eventually buy.

I would also be very curious to try Studio with some portable amp like RSA P-51 or Shadow, I really would. Maybe it would be for worse, but I think that another option of „analog“ coloration (besides headphones/IEMs/after-market cables) could be interesting and rewarding. Having camped with Studio last week in winter mountains (I was so babying it in the freezing weather!) I can just dream of its´ battery life combined with RSA´s commonly generous life as well with nice set of IEMs. Minimalistic yet sort of TOTL experience on the go. Little OT – setting yourself in a quiet nature (on a rock with a landscape view e.g.) with music is very rewarding experience, even though nature has its´ own beautifull soundscapes.

Thank you for attention to this novel-like kind of review. All the best, M.

Nov 15, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #620 of 1,483
Pooh-ehr-Tea,

That was quite the post.  Are you going to write a review on the product page as well?

Glad to know you're enjoying the DAP - I'm planning on pairing it with a portable amp soon myself (waiting for my second-hand JDS C5 to come in), so I'll let you know my findings on that one!

Welcome to the club 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #622 of 1,483
Pooherh tea is good but the really good is really expensive. I am still letting mine age. It was bout 12 when I got it and now it is 19. 

Seems like most everything in electronics needs some burn in. The Anv 3 does real good with burn in and has a beautiful airy feel to the music. Much worth while. Quite a wonderful little package. 

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #624 of 1,483
  Just saw this http://www.hisoundaudio.com/case.asp?id=29&Page=1
Firmware for Studio V, Studio V 3rd, Studio.

Thanks, haven't tried this yet..didn't know they have a new one.

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #626 of 1,483
Hmm...as of right now, the installer seems to be corrupt - closes every time I open it.  I'm trying to re-download, but I don't think that's the issue as everything un-rarred just fine.

After downloading again - still not functioning.  Oh well, we'll have to wait on that one.

BTW: I was opening it using Windows 7 - maybe I should ask Mr.Hisound about it?

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #627 of 1,483
Same here.. doesnt even open

Nov 17, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #628 of 1,483
Anyone know the changes in the new firmware?
Hisound Uk are you reading?

Nov 17, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #629 of 1,483
  Hmm...as of right now, the installer seems to be corrupt - closes every time I open it.  I'm trying to re-download, but I don't think that's the issue as everything un-rarred just fine.

After downloading again - still not functioning.  Oh well, we'll have to wait on that one.

BTW: I was opening it using Windows 7 - maybe I should ask Mr.Hisound about it?

Hmm. I'm wondering if this was the newest firmware that was a failure? It was buggy as when you'd try to scan through your music holding up or down you had to constantly press the up or down button to navigate. It no longer allowed you to just hold the up or down button to scan. I had the same issue with loading it. Just use the older loader from another firmware and it should load. But I bet this is that same firmware and I reverted back from it due to the bugs. 

Good luck.

Nov 17, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #630 of 1,483

Just use the older loader from another firmware and it should load. 

I've done that in the past - nearly bricked the little bugger.  I'm not courageous enough to try that again - plus it looks like an updated installer as well (the older ones all had the same name/file size, and this one is quite different.)

I would recommend people to not mix/match the installer with the firmware files...Mr.Hisound himself sent me a PM the last time I did that telling me it was not a bright idea 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back